Fortnite Season 11 Ends...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 04:34 PM
12 Replies, 1,200 Views

Old 07-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Game Of Thrones Creators Announce Their New HBO Show

USA Today describes 'Confederate' as "an alternate-timeline drama in which the South successfully seceded from the Union and slavery is not only legal but has evolved with the times. And a new American Civil War looms."

More from GameSpot.

Quote:
Game of Thrones still has another season to go after the current one, but showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have announced their next show. The pair will return to HBO for Confederate, a dramatic imagining of an alternate future America that sounds every bit as provocative as their fantasy hit.

Benioff and Weiss will begin production on Confederate once work on the final season of Game of Thrones is completed. HBO have released a synopsis for the new show, which reads: "Confederate chronicles the events leading to the Third American Civil War. The series takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution.

"The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone--freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Uh oh. Expect a bunch of jacked up racial tension and race baiting up to release then... total sanitization to reinforce a bunch of liberal talking points.

Nothing can be good about that era in the South. NOTHING, not even cooking or wardrobe, or hospitality, or even the damn peach cobbler NOTHING. And pointing out any real truths is forbidden (blacks who owned black slaves; more white Americans died trying to eliminate slavery than almost any other US involved conflict; that more white people have been enslaved in history (including the south) beyond the wildest imagination of those calling to erase the sins of the South?).

HBO won't let any other message except "The South then, and "now" in the world of "Confederate" is repugnant and we wanted to show how this cancer would have just metastasized blah blah blah."
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

Hard pass on this one. Based on the description, the show seems to rely on the caveat that the South never bothered to modernize itself and would be completely impregnable from external forces and allowed to continue to support government sponsored slavery, is something that I just can suspend disbelief of. Something like Man In the High Castle or Wolfenstein works because it takes place shortly after the actual events. Not a hundred years later. So much can change locally and globally over several decades of time.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Hard pass on this one. Based on the description, the show seems to rely on the caveat that the South never bothered to modernize itself and would be completely impregnable from external forces and allowed to continue to support government sponsored slavery, is something that I just can suspend disbelief of. Something like Man In the High Castle or Wolfenstein works because it takes place shortly after the actual events. Not a hundred years later. So much can change locally and globally over several decades of time.
From what I've heard (now having read more info from various sites) the world is completely modernized. The only difference is there is still slavery in the South, otherwise it's just as corporate and technological, with a few archaic twists of course so we know it's a different time line.

It is still a far flung premise due to the rest of the world's fixation on stopping the slave trade at the time of the Civil War. Britain in particular was harassing every boat along the slaver routes and AFAIK no other European country allowed for slavery. I doubt the United States, even just the South would have continued to prosper into the same powerhouse it was able to if the anathema of Slavery continued to exist. The South couldn't provide much which couldn't be found more ethically elsewhere. Cotton and Tobacco aren't exclusive.

The sanctions and political pressure brought to bear on a government with actual open slavery would far exceed anything in modern history be it terrorist or things like the South African Apartheid.

In addition there would have to be some explanation of how the other territories "picked" their side. At the time you still had the New Mexico, Nebraska, Kansas, Utah, Washington and a bunch of other non-state territories which would eventually become states. Who would they petition for "Statehood" and why?

I sure hope they thought this through cause I don't want to see everything limited to the original 13. The Civil War and Reconstruction period was my focus in History when I was in college and it pisses me off to see how it is mistreated and misrepresented by the various agendas.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

What you typed is what I was really wanted to say, but I made a quick and riddled with errors post instead. I really can't buy government sanctioned slavery in a modern society, even if there was a long standing and supported slave trade. That is not to say that slavery does not exist today, just that modern slavery is designed more around fear and economic pressure, than actual ownership. Think migrant workers (farms, construction), sex workers and similar trades where employment is cheap, usually done under the table, and is usually explicitly disallowed under law.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

It's going to be a tool for pandering to the progressive agenda. Your going to see every news story that's race or gender related repeated in this show. Law and Order style.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
It's going to be a tool for pandering to the progressive agenda. Your going to see every news story that's race or gender related repeated in this show. Law and Order style.
I don't know, they're pretty edgy. I could see it ruffling the feathers of the NAACP BIG TIME.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'll watch it for the boobs. It's HBO after all. Ha!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

Just watch a nudity super cut in that case.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Zombosis
Soul Reaper

I would rather see a serialized version of Guns of the South.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

So they're going to imagine an alternate reality where the South behaves in the same way that corporate America behaves toward the average American or foreign-indentured worker?

Should be a hoot. Nice try Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Oh, and I have a more pointed message for Hollywood as well:

Quote:
Old 07-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
GunnSgtHartman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Oh, and I have a more pointed message for Hollywood as well:

Hahaha! A comparison between the Holy Roman Empire and Planned Parenthood would work as good, if not better! Why not Ancient Greece while we're at it?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnSgtHartman View Post
Hahaha! A comparison between the Holy Roman Empire and Planned Parenthood would work as good, if not better!

Not if you want to point to how deadly Planned Parenthood is...considering Rome's success at murdering folks. Do you get the point of analogies? Folks don't usually defeat their point with them, they support it.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Actually if I did some math. Probably wrong so correct me where necessary.

TOTAL for the entire span of the Western Roman Empire: ~13.0M over the course of 600 years or so.

Granted the world population was only about 200 million max however the population of Rome was only 55 million by most reasonable estimates.

So just for kicks let's say Rome was at its peak population of 55 million all 600 years and the world was at its peak of 200m all those years.

Total aggressor population (Romans): 55,000,000
Total aggressor kill count: 13 million
Total World Population: 200 million (for simplicity I am counting Rome)

Total deaths per year
13,000,000/600 = 21,667

Total deaths divided by population divided by number of years gives us the kill ratio per year:
21,667/200,000,000 = 0.1% of the worldwide population per year.

Now let's do something similar. Only this time our population of aggressors are females instead of Romans. I don't mean this in a bad way, just meaning that women are the ones who have abortions. Identity politics aside.

I am using 2010 because this is a census year for many countries and has some of the most accurate data I was able to cross reference across several sites.

According to the WHO in 2010 (in the countries that reported), 340 of every 1,000 women between the ages of 15 and 44, known as reproductive age, had an abortion.

In 2010 there were around 1.5 billion women who fit into the "reproductive age"
category according to the world census

So in 2010 the estimate is 495,000,000 babies were aborted world wide.

If we use the same math
Total aggressor population (Females): 1,5000,000,000
Total aggressor kill count: 495,000,000
Total World Population: 6,900,000,000 (for simplicity I am counting aggressor)

We know total deaths per year is ~450,000,000 with an aggressor population of 1.5 billion people.

Kill count per year:
495m/6.9bm= 7% of the population per year.

Also keep in mind this is only based on those 20 or so countries that actually reported. Romans were actually quite nice in hindsight.

EDIT 1: Had to correct some figures. I do indeed suck at even simple math. And remember these numbers are absolutely flawed since they only come from voluntarily reporting, some were combined from multiple years and so on. Basically no one has an interest in keeping accurate facts except Pro-Lifers and Pro-choicer just sit around and say how those facts are wrong so there is no consensus anywhere. There are almost NO neutral parties when it comes to this issue.

EDIT 2: For those wondering I basically counted 250 BC to 350 AD where Rome had all but started collapsing. I didn't count the Eastern Roman Empire which was ruled from Byzantium and was essentially a different Kingdom. It died the death of 1000 cuts till finally falling to the Ottomans ~14th century. But that just makes the numbers look even worse for abortion HOWEVER it's important to note abortion as the norm is relatively new which is the only reason the number seems so shocking.

According to the world abortion clock there's "only" been 1.46 billion abortions since 1980.

So if we keep our same number of aggressors (1.4/1.5 billion) over 30 years (2010) with a total of 1.4 billion victims we have a different number.

47 million victims per year
47 million/6.9 billion = 0.6% of the population

Still got the Romans on the run.

Last edited by vallor; 07-21-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Actually if I did some math. Probably wrong so correct me where necessary.

TOTAL for the entire span of the Western Roman Empire:
You're wrong. First, for the effort (what a waste! No need to be so 'anal' about an 'anal'ogy, lol. ). Second, read the top of the image. The analogy was comparing one year. ONE year. Third, we're talking about Planned Parenthood, not all of abortion all over the world! One agency. Margaret Sanger would be disappointed they didn't kill more minority babies. She was a hoot. What a progressive hero!
Quote:
Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You're wrong. First, for the effort (what a waste! No need to be so 'anal' about an 'anal'ogy, lol. ). Second, read the top of the image. The analogy was comparing one year. ONE year. Third, we're talking about Planned Parenthood, not all of abortion all over the world! One agency. Margaret Sanger would be disappointed they didn't kill more minority babies. She was a hoot. What a progressive hero!
You should relax. The exercise actually backs up your point that even one of the bloodiest civilizations in history has a lower death rate per year than abortion. And I didn't feel like I could take Sarah Palin's statement at face value (though I understand and agree with her thesis).

As someone very interested in history it a question I thought might be worth answering, especially since people always like to go to things like "well it's not like it was as bad as [some terrible thing (usually white people have done)] in the past!" When they want to make a point.

As a pro-lifer I tried to treat it as research using cross referenced agnostic material as much as possible but it still comes out that the Romans were far less blood-thirsty than our abortion industry.

The difficulty is untangling where Planned Parenthood USA stops and where it's international affiliates begin. In addition you don't get to pick a number of 90,000 out of a hat without counting the number of PP affiliates and clinics. Depending on the amount of funding these may or may not have to report.

I wasn't able to find the source outside of the more slanted abortion clocks using the Guttmacher reports who's credibility had been brought into question. And if you look at any PP material they will tell you only 3% of their services are abortions. Again, it's hard to untangle them from their affiliates.

This is why I went worldwide where the facility providing the service was agnostic.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
You should relax.
You did see how much math you did over this whole thing, right? You compared all of abortion against the Romans, while I was referring to one abortion provider...one. Regardless, ultimately the weakness of analogies is that they are imperfect comparisons and always break down, but especially if they are incorrectly interpreted by others.
Quote:

Tags
confederate, game of thrones