Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by AlfredT
Today 07:08 PM
30 Replies, 1,194 Views
Fortnite Season 11 Ends...
Last post by vallor
Today 04:34 PM
12 Replies, 1,069 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Chief Smash
Today 04:22 PM
4,804 Replies, 1,049,168 Views
Call of Duty Modern...
Last post by RAV
Today 03:56 PM
16 Replies, 733 Views
The Analogue Pocket...
Last post by 92miata
Today 03:41 PM
12 Replies, 756 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by MusicToEat
Today 01:34 PM
8 Replies, 411 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Terran
Today 12:23 PM
6 Replies, 222 Views
Jurassic World Short...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 07:53 PM
8 Replies, 1,507 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 31,318
Blog Entries: 58
GameSpot: Xbox One X Has Power, But Lacks The Games To Be A Worthwhile Purchase


GameSpot has come down on Microsoft for the lack of exclusive games for its new Xbox One X console.

Quote:
Four years after its current-gen console first launched, Microsoft has released the upgraded Xbox One X. The software giant heralds its latest device in the Xbox One family as "the most powerful console ever"--and its 4K capabilities make Xbox games look better than before. But, with the new console's release, I'm left wondering which of its games are compelling enough to make me rush out and buy one.

There's third-party stuff, sure: Assassin's Creed's year off has helped remove some of the fatigue surrounding that franchise, and Origins has been well-received. And Middle-earth: Shadow of War, which has been heavily marketed on Xbox, is, mostly, a worthy successor to Shadow of Mordor. But in terms of exclusives, Xbox fans have been left wanting this year.

The delay of Crackdown 3, the only major Xbox One exclusive scheduled to launch around the Xbox One X, has left a gaping hole in the console's lineup. Combined with an already sparse exclusive release schedule for Xbox One's holiday season, this offers little incentive to buy an Xbox One X outside of possessing power for power's sake.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
sticky
Reaper
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 165
Um I'm enjoying the hell out of my Xbox One X on my 4k TV while my PS4 gathers dust.

The controller is better. The games are better. The online is better. The interface is better.

I'm not missing anything.
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,897
It launched with the same number of "exclusives" as the PS4 Pro did.

Y'know...none.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead
 
Inkabodcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,048
I had to check the article to be sure it was a new one. This argument has been beaten to death. We get it. People think there aren't enough first party games. They tackled the underpowered console issue, the "always online" issue, the netflix behind a paywall issue, the backwards compatibility issue, now lets see if they keep the trend going and tackle the first party issue.

Regardless, I like playing on console, therefore I like to have the one that will give me the best visuals and performance for third party games as well. I still have a PS4 Pro for potential exclusives, but if I'm going to spend a lot of time on a console and not PC, it needs to feel comparable, which the X does right now.
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It launched with the same number of "exclusives" as the PS4 Pro did.

Y'know...none.
Of course you know the PS4 was and is still kicking Microsoft's ass this generation, so maybe, just maybe they should get their shit together and try harder than Sony? Just saying.
__________________
"You shutup, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you died or if your mother was eaten by a bear or something." - TheFlyingOrc
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead
 
MadMurdock_0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
Um I'm enjoying the hell out of my Xbox One X on my 4k TV while my PS4 gathers dust.

The controller is better. The games are better. The online is better. The interface is better.

I'm not missing anything.
I would argue that the Xbox UI is by far the worst. Sure, it's gotten better since launch, but it's still terrible. Also, please elaborate on "the games are better", because, I play my PS4 Pro more than my Xbox One X, so I'm genuinely curious of a differing opinion. Controller and online are certainly better, I won't argue that.

Full disclosure, I play PC way more than either console (including Switch).
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,437
NO way the UI on xbox is better. That is fucking crazy. The controller is subjective. I personally find the PS4 to be better, but the xbox one is fine. Games....lord no. That being said I have a One X cause 4k.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 595
My PS4 Pro is used daily while my Xbox One gathers dust. I have zero reason to get a Xbox One X. PS4 has all of the good exclusives. Thats that.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Of course you know the PS4 was and is still kicking Microsoft's ass this generation, so maybe, just maybe they should get their shit together and try harder than Sony? Just saying.
I think this is Microsoft actively getting their shit together. They currently have the most powerful console on the market and the only console that also doubles as a 4K player. They're in the process of re-investing in first-party games. Criticizing the One X for not having any "launch titles" is still horseshit, because it completely ignores the fact that the PS4 Pro launched with the precise same number: Zero.

They're getting their asses kicked, just like Sony did last generation with the PS3 fiasco. They're making moves - just like Sony did - to course correct and improve their situation.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,369
Blog Entries: 20
The fact that the PS4 Pro didn’t ship with any exclusives is a double fail you. First, the purpose of the Pro was to support PSVR, so it really launched with a shit ton of games. Sure they are VR shovelware, but they are still there.

Second and more obvious, Sony not having exclusives for the Pro doesn’t negate the idea that the X launched with zero games. MS making the same mistakes as Sony doesn’t make it any less of a mistake or any less of a valid criticism. That is the worst kind of straw man argument.

If you see someone driving too fast and you do the same, you are no less guilty when you get a ticket.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The fact that the PS4 Pro didnít ship with any exclusives is a double fail you. First, the purpose of the Pro was to support PSVR, so it really launched with a shit to. Of games. Sure they are VR shovel ware, but they are still there.
The Pro launched with precisely zero exclusives; every single one of those PSVR titles was fully playable on the base PS4.

Quote:
Second and more obvious, Sony not having exclusives for the Pro doesnít negate the idea that the X launched with zero games. MS making the same mistakes as Sony doesnít make it any less of a mistake or any less of a valid criticism. That is the worst kind of straw man argument.
I wouldn't call it a strawman argument, specifically because people act as if Sony somehow one-upped Microsoft on this front when they simply didn't.

Just like with the Pro, the One X launched with every single title playable. This is a mid-generation refresh, not a full generation launch.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
Primus
Valar Morghulis
 
Primus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairfax Ruins
Posts: 2,466
The XB1 has no exclusives, but neither does the PS4. The thing is the XB1X has the superior version of the good games which are all third party. I am pretty happy with it.
__________________
XBL: Primus DCE

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 593
It's not about the XBX having no exclusives, it's about the xbox brand having no decent exclusives. Since the PS4 took over from the 360 as my main console, it has been used most days so when the Ps4 Pro turned up, it was a no brainer to buy it, it wasn't massively expensive (unlike xbx) and the exclusives were already in place. The xbone however has largely gathered dust for the past few years and with no xbox exclusives on the horizon plus the large price tag of the X, why on earth would i buy that shit?

Also of note, I think many people will be in the same boat whereby all their friends jumped to PS4 this gen so their once vibrant xbox friends list is now a sea of 'offline' statuses - this is a problem.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 593
Another thing, the xbox UI is a fucking car crash and they STILL have not fixed huge install times for games and mandatory patching before a game will start. I cannot believe they don't cop more shit for this. Gears 4 on my xbone took something like 6 hours before the game would actually start, this is an absolute disgrace.

PS4 games install and start within a minute of inserting the disk and you can play single player (which is all i care about) while any patches download. Insert a disk into the xbone and wait at least 10 minutes but sometimes several hours before your new game will start. Fuck that shit.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 AM   #15
Paranoia
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,303
Microsoft already lost this generation.

Xbone X is just there to remind people Xbox is still a thing.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #16
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Microsoft already lost this generation.

Xbone X is just there to remind people Xbox is still a thing.
It's also there to nibble at Sony's lead.

What I mean to say is: Sony's in a very comfortable place right now. There's no way that Microsoft can still "win" this generation. But look at this thread alone: There are people out there fighting for "their" Xbox again, because it's arguably the stronger machine (and a nice piece of hardware, overall). Everyone who's interested in console games will have this thought in the back of their minds for - let's say - the next two, possibly three years: "My PS4 Pro is not the best way to experience this multi-platform title on consoles..." This means that, for the first time in this generation, the Xbox One doesn't HAVE to have the better exclusive titles, because it has the best version of virtually every other game.

It's a direct reversal of the start of this console generation, when Sony took the US and UK from Microsoft. Sure, there were a lot of other marketing mistakes (like the Kinect and the pricing), but one recurring argument against the Xbox was: "1080p on PS4, 900p on XB1." Well, we'll see what 2 years of Digital Foundry comparisons can do...

With that said: Anyone who seriously defends the Xbox user interface needs a reality check. Sure, it's gotten better (I'd even say it's finally usable), but it's leagues behind the PS4's clean and fast interface. Ironically, Microsoft even managed to make the store (traditionally their strong suit) a convoluted mess!
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 AM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 7,148
I cant remember where i heard this but dude was talking about how SONY and MS are basically, instead of doing price drops and a race to the bottom they are taking their lowered manufacturing cost and applying them to an improved console. So the Pro cost the same as the base used to cost to make, they keep the price the same and you get a better console. I kinda like the idea. I also like the idea of a $99 stripped down console to though.

This explains no price drops. MS should have honestly just did a big price drop, console wars were won and lost due to those back in the day.

When the Switch starts selling its going to get worse. Really the Xbone brand is kinda redundant. MS should just starting selling games on phones and PC's Oh, wait, they have zero IP's anyone cares about.

Sorry, i just want MS out of video games so someone who actually cares can jump in. They have been a stick in the mud since 2001, you killed 1 VS 100. Leave....
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy

Last edited by blackzc; 11-28-2017 at 03:50 AM..
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #18
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead
 
Inkabodcrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,048
While I love my XB1X, I still love playing my Saturn, Dreamcast, PSP, PC, Gamecube, and more. While everyone is thinking they're solving the world's problems in these comments, I just enjoy the hell out of playing games.

I know everyone wishes their opinions meant something, in reality we're all just spitting dust at nothing. The ancient Romans thought the gladiators were the best form of entertainment. What I'm saying is: who the F cares? Nobody is going to win any money or debate points here. You like one thing, the next person doesn't. Some of us like everything. I just find the negativity extremely annoying. The endless bullshit just causes more bullshit. Are you defined by the console company you buy? What if you like and buy them all, when able?
__________________
I used to indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #19
Angelus073
Dread Lord
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 115
I have both and the One X is without doubt the more powerful of the two but still spending more time on my Pro due to the games on it. Moving forward will get the multiplatform single player stuff on the X but for the multiplayer will still be on PS4 as most of my group migrated off Xbox and they don't have 4k so have no interest in either.

Prefer the PS4 UI. Like both PS and XB controllers and the playstation has the best suite of games by a country mile. No interest in Halo and think Gears has lost it so don't see what else the Xbox offers on the exclusive games front.
__________________
PSN - Angelus73
XBL - angelus073
____________________
Angelus073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #20
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
This explains no price drops. MS should have honestly just did a big price drop, console wars were won and lost due to those back in the day.
It does not seem to work these days, though. Everyone loves a good offer, but apparently, allegiance to a brand is more important than money today. I've seen so many amazing XB1S bundle offers over the last weeks (not just during Amazon's Cyber Monday week), and apparently, nobody's picking them up. I haven't, either, but I already own a regular One and no 4K TV...
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.

Last edited by Scherge; 11-28-2017 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: word repetition
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
microsoft, xbox one, xbox one x

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM.