13 Replies, 1,343 Views
Call of Duty Modern...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 12:16 PM
27 Replies, 1,380 Views

Old 12-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nintendo Switch Passes 3 Million Units Sold in Japan After Extremely Strong Week

Back on December 12th Nintendo announced that the Switch had sold over 10 million units worldwide. Fast forward a few weeks and the Nintendo Switch has reached the 3 million mark in Japan. DualShockers has the story.

Quote:
The latest Media Create data, combined with Historical figures from the same source, revealed that the Nintendo Switch has passed three million units sold in Japan as of December 24th.

To be more precise, the Switch sold 269,684 units between December 18th and December 24th, reaching a grand total of 3,178,100 units.

This was achieved very quickly, in 296 days since the console’s release on March 3rd, 2017. That’s just shy of ten months.

The console has been affected by extreme shortages for months, and only lately Nintendo has been able to ship sizable numbers of units. This prompted customers to purchase the hybrid console in the hundreds of thousands across the whole month of December. For instance, last week 221, 210 Nintendo Switch units found a loving Japanese home, and the trend appears not to be even close to slowing down. It will probably continue at least until the first week of January, when Japanese parents gift money to their kids due to the “Otoshidama” New Year tradition, generating one last strong Holiday shopping week.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I think the future is going to be pretty damn bright for this console, all things considered.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think the future is going to be pretty damn bright for this console, all things considered.
I hope so. Nintendo needs to have more than 2 or 3 big titles a year. They are getting some 3rd party support which many consoles get in the launch window. As DS teams gradually change to the switch hopefully we see lots of games. Selling units is great. But it's games games games that will determine long term success.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I'm excited to own a Switch, and I am eager to witness the future of this console. Also, I am far from a Nintendo fanboy.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
IGXGamingTV
Gamer. Streamer. Patriot.

Bought this for my son and he loves it so far, when he gets a chance to play, however. Wife is hogging it playing Zelda ... LOL.
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

I miss the 2 screen deal on the WiiU alot, makes playing the Switch seems kinda basic. Which is fine but i hope Nintendo goes back to 2 screen at some point in the future. Zombie U and Pikmin 3 are some of the most fun ive had playing a game.

That aside this thing is going to start kicking major ass real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Selling units is great. But it's games games games that will determine long term success.
Im pretty sure the 3DS will be 100% done halfway though 2018. That's when the rush of games that were going to the 3DS head to the Switch. 80 Million sold. Maybe even 100 over a few variants.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
But it's games games games that will determine long term success.
With the Switch soon to overtake the PS4 in Japan and Vita dead and 3DS winding down, Japanese dev's are already making the Switch their prime development target. Western devs will probably be not to far behind. So much so it wouldn't be surprising if it comes down to choosing between get a version I can take on the go or the PS4 version. MS is the odd one out again.

Switch is going to have a huge 2018 and an even bigger Christmas 2018 if the pokemon rumors are true.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I miss the 2 screen deal on the WiiU alot, makes playing the Switch seems kinda basic. Which is fine but i hope Nintendo goes back to 2 screen at some point in the future. Zombie U and Pikmin 3 are some of the most fun ive had playing a game.

That aside this thing is going to start kicking major ass real soon.

Im pretty sure the 3DS will be 100% done halfway though 2018. That's when the rush of games that were going to the 3DS head to the Switch. 80 Million sold. Maybe even 100 over a few variants.
I hope devs do head to the switch and it continues to get 3rd party support. It may happen will see. I hope the switch doesn't become the next wii. Where it sells but after the launch window alot of development support drys up. Just a bit early to tell either way is all.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Western devs will probably be not to far behind. So much so it wouldn't be surprising if it comes down to choosing between get a version I can take on the go or the PS4 version. MS is the odd one out again.
Doubt it. The Wii did not become the target platform because the development for AAA titles is geared towards the higher powered consoles and PC. You may see more indies being geared for the Switch and being ported around, but you will not see someone like EA or Activision develop for Switch first.

Japan is different because of the development atmosphere is entirely different, and they are used to developing with lower budgets and Japanese gamers are used to expecting less in return.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Doubt it. The Wii did not become the target platform because the development for AAA titles is geared towards the higher powered consoles and PC. You may see more indies being geared for the Switch and being ported around, but you will not see someone like EA or Activision develop for Switch first.

Japan is different because of the development atmosphere is entirely different, and they are used to developing with lower budgets and Japanese gamers are used to expecting less in return.
I expect for Japanese developers that the Switch is going to become their target platform. Western devs probably not the main target, but they would be foolish to not have Switch versions of game in the pipeline.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I hope devs do head to the switch and it continues to get 3rd party support. It may happen will see. I hope the switch doesn't become the next wii. Where it sells but after the launch window alot of development support drys up. Just a bit early to tell either way is all.
The issue with the Wii - aside from it being a slightly souped up Gamecube - was the motion controls. While it was entirely possible to make a game that didn't utilize motion controls, the console was marketing with that feature as the primary focus...so, it was expected that every game have it in some capacity. As a result, it was shoehorned in and we got a lot of crap software.

The Switch, on the other hand, doesn't have that issue. While motion controls are an option, developers can ignore them entirely. They also don't have to worry about dealing with a second screen, which ultimately makes everything easier to work with from a design standpoint.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post

What will help a bit in the West is the lack of trust in those big budget shiny AAA games, with growing vocal concern with AAA standard practices such as loot boxes and release now - fix later. Nintendo's development style is earning points among the disillusioned, and "Indies" are all the rage lately. Nintendo has games like "Project Octopath Traveler" coming as exclusives. Granted that's a Square Enix game, but clearly not a high budget game-as-a-service. It has a very indie feel. They also have really great indies already such as Golf Story, and many many indie developers are saying the Switch versions of their games are selling the best, because they aren't sitting on an overly saturated platform like Steam, getting lost in the shuffle. If Nintendo keeps their own quality titles coming and continues to audit their eShop fairly well, I think the sky is the limit even in the west.

It's hard for any gamer less than absolutely stubborn to say "no" to a console only 10 months old with 2 GOTY front-runners as exclusives and a good handful more quality exclusives as well. Nintendo is a totally different choice again, but in the world of loot boxes and people always on the go, I think it's a good "different", and they're in for a huge rebound generation. I mean, Zelda alone just ran apeshit over all the GOTY awards everywhere against some really great games this year. If they pull the same quality off with their Switch Pokemon and Metroid Prime game coming, and sprinkle in some quality 2nd tier IP, you can pretty much call it a wrap at 50-60mil + units that'll move. Not a bad follow-up to the woeful sales of the Wii-U. They also had to reverse terrible momentum from that console.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
What will help a bit in the West is the lack of trust in those big budget shiny AAA games, with growing vocal concern with AAA standard practices such as loot boxes and release now - fix later. Nintendo's development style is earning points among the disillusioned, and "Indies" are all the rage lately. Nintendo has games like "Project Octopath Traveler" coming as exclusives. Granted that's a Square Enix game, but clearly not a high budget game-as-a-service. It has a very indie feel. They also have really great indies already such as Golf Story, and many many indie developers are saying the Switch versions of their games are selling the best, because they aren't sitting on an overly saturated platform like Steam, getting lost in the shuffle. If Nintendo keeps their own quality titles coming and continues to audit their eShop fairly well, I think the sky is the limit even in the west.
From a publishing standpoint, you will see companies like Ubisoft and EA support the Switch, but on the development standpoint, I really do not see them working on Switch exclusives or Switch as the primary platform. They have spent way to much on their infrastructure and technology to design around the PS4 and the Xbox One, and they will not be willing to work streaming lining the process so that a game, like Assassins Creed Origins, can be ported to the Switch. So you will see the standard ports of games which can easily be shoe horned into the Switch, but you will likely not see a AAA game being designed with all three platforms in mind from a Western publisher.

Games designed for the Switch will be from indies and and Japanese developers.

Quote:
It's hard for any gamer less than absolutely stubborn to say "no" to a console only 10 months old with 2 GOTY front-runners as exclusives and a good handful more quality exclusives as well.
Depending on your gaming inclinations, particularly if multi-player is your bag, the Switch is a hard sell.

I personally bought a Switch as I own all the other consoles and still operate a mid-range PC, and I also bought a Switch for my brother because he does a lot of work traveling and I bought him a PS4 two years ago. But I would not have bought the Switch as my primary console or gifted it to someone who did not already have another console.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #14
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
If they pull the same quality off with their Switch Pokemon and Metroid Prime game coming, and sprinkle in some quality 2nd tier IP, you can pretty much call it a wrap at 50-60mil + units that'll move.
With sales the way they've been to date, 50-60 million for the generation would be flirting with catastrophic failure. They are outpacing the PS2- the best selling console ever. The original Wii also paced that fast in the early days and fell off quite a bit later on, but that still finished with over 100 million installed base. PS4 also outpaced first year PS2 numbers, and that has already cleared 70 million and should comfortably hit the 100 million mark- it's actually pacing even with the PS2 at this point(which would hint at closer to the 150 million mark).

Quote:
So you will see the standard ports of games which can easily be shoe horned into the Switch, but you will likely not see a AAA game being designed with all three platforms in mind from a Western publisher.
I think the interesting trend to watch is if AAA development is a worthy ROI versus the non AAA games. As gamers, we all love our AAA experiences, but unfortunately they have overwhelmingly been infested with the mobile pay scheme and that is turning a lot of people off. If we start seeing not quite AAA games offering compelling experiences without the micro transaction hell, we could witness a paradigm shift in development priorities.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Publishers are well aware of that, which is why you will see publishers selling both expensive to produce AAA titles and low-mid budget third party titles. Smaller titles trickle in the revenue while larger titles are a huge explosion to their revenue. This is no different from the music, movie and television industry.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #16
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I was very disappointed with the WiiU. So much so that I nearly didn't buy a Switch.

Picked one up this weekend with Zelda and Mario.
So far, those two titles are providing more enjoyment than anything the WiiU had to offer.

Microsoft has really lost the fight this generation. I really don't see a way for them to turn it around. I loved the 360, but the PS4 and the Switch feel like that is enough.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
With sales the way they've been to date, 50-60 million for the generation would be flirting with catastrophic failure. They are outpacing the PS2- the best selling console ever. The original Wii also paced that fast in the early days and fell off quite a bit later on, but that still finished with over 100 million installed base. PS4 also outpaced first year PS2 numbers, and that has already cleared 70 million and should comfortably hit the 100 million mark- it's actually pacing even with the PS2 at this point(which would hint at closer to the 150 million mark).

I think the interesting trend to watch is if AAA development is a worthy ROI versus the non AAA games. As gamers, we all love our AAA experiences, but unfortunately they have overwhelmingly been infested with the mobile pay scheme and that is turning a lot of people off. If we start seeing not quite AAA games offering compelling experiences without the micro transaction hell, we could witness a paradigm shift in development priorities.
Yah, you're right. At this point 60+ mil would be a drastic drop off in pace. I just don't know if the Switch can sustain yet. Especially where it's going to get middling 3rd party support. We'll see. In order for it to come close or surpass 100mil, Nintendo needs to crank out GOTY level games from their tier 1 and 2 IP. Pokemon and Metroid need to be really high quality. We need an outstanding Smash title, an outstanding Animal Crossing (something on the level or better than Stardew), finally a great Mario Party title (haven't seen one in forever - the last was terrible), and some quality spin offs. Maybe a really good Mario sports title or three. And then some surprises. I'd like to see Nintendo resurrect something like Eternal Darkness (being they just renewed the rights) and be directly involved in it's development. They said they wanted to focus on getting more "adult" games to the Switch. I mean if it outsells 60mil, it's far cry improvement over the Wii U, which I think sold about 14 million, but keeping momentum willl all come down to quality exclusives. I hope they keep it up, they're developing great games right now. That's good for everyone. They need to pick up the pace and keep them coming.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, you're right. At this point 60+ mil would be a drastic drop off in pace. I just don't know if the Switch can sustain yet. Especially where it's going to get middling 3rd party support. We'll see. In order for it to come close or surpass 100mil, Nintendo needs to crank out GOTY level games from their tier 1 and 2 IP. Pokemon and Metroid need to be really high quality. We need an outstanding Smash title, an outstanding Animal Crossing (something on the level or better than Stardew), finally a great Mario Party title (haven't seen one in forever - the last was terrible), and some quality spin offs. Maybe a really good Mario sports title or three. And then some surprises. I'd like to see Nintendo resurrect something like Eternal Darkness (being they just renewed the rights) and be directly involved in it's development. They said they wanted to focus on getting more "adult" games to the Switch. I mean if it outsells 60mil, it's far cry improvement over the Wii U, which I think sold about 14 million, but keeping momentum willl all come down to quality exclusives. I hope they keep it up, they're developing great games right now. That's good for everyone. They need to pick up the pace and keep them coming.
Exclusives won't sell a Switch to those that don't care about Nintendo IP. Give me a reason to want Nintendo hardware. Mario and Zelda isn't it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Exclusives won't sell a Switch to those that don't care about Nintendo IP. Give me a reason to want Nintendo hardware. Mario and Zelda isn't it.
Yes and no. I don't really care about smash,Mario or Zelda. The N does have IP I care about. Punch out, Fire emblem, F-zero, earthbound (mother ) starfox, etc . I am not jumping on board the switch train for 1 or 2 games. They need a handful of 1st party titles to win me back.

3rd party games might make me get one as well. Xeno chronicles is the only game that I would get if I had a switch. If the switch gets hella jrpg s like the 3ds did great. Eastern 3rd party support is still 3rd party support. To early to say just yet.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Bayonetta 3?

Tags
nintendo, switch