Yesterday 07:53 PM
8 Replies, 1,511 Views

Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Bungie Partners With NetEase, Gets $100 Million for New Non-Destiny Game

Quote:
Our Newest Partnership

At Bungie, our purpose is to build worlds that inspire friendship. For over twenty-five years, through Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo, and Destiny, we’ve created fantastic places where players have gathered to become heroes. Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.

Today, we’re excited to announce that we’ve entered into a new partnership with NetEase to help us explore new directions. With their industry expertise, they’ll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They’ll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life.

If you’re a player of Destiny, this news won’t impact the hobby you’ve come to know. Destiny is an experience that will grow for many years to come. We’ll continue to work with our partners at Activision to foster this global community and turn new players from all over the world into Guardians. Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement. We have exciting plans for the future of the Destiny franchise, and you’ll learn more about the next steps we’ll take together in the weeks to come.

For now, we’re grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.
bungie.net

Note: The blog post doesn’t mention the number, but Bungie told the Wall Street Journal that NetEase has made a $100 million investment in the studio.

I guess all is not flowers and chocolates in the land of Activision these days if Bungie has to go looking somewhere else to fund a new game.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I think they still make quality stuff but they did lose some of their mystique when they forced Marty O'Donnell out. His music added so much to their games.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Bungie is a bunch of prima donnas who forgot how to make games. If it weren't for their partners at places like High Moon and others Destiny 2 would have been a shitshow instead of just a boring mess.

Bungie's skill is in management, not creation. Take a big idea and let other people create on it. They lost their flair when they were allowed to get big and bloated at Microsoft and Ed Fries, Peter Moore, Shane Kim, and all the rest of the Microsoft Game executives gave them everything they wanted to keep the golden goose laying the eggs.

It is the same thing that happens to everything Microsoft touches. Bungie survives in spite of itself.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

The music in Halo is the best, most recognizable musical score in modern video gaming history. The only other video game composer who compares is Nobuo Uematsu.

Bungie survived by leaving MS, because MS lobotomizes or kills just about every developer it brings in-house. Terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Booda
Beam another Blast

A lot of the original Destiny talent left Bungie long ago.

Lots Of Destiny Devs Have Left Bungie Recently To Make Indie Games
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

NetEase is a Chinese firm. Chinese financiers seems to be the future for movies and video-games. China has all kinds of money since everything is outsourced to them.

I've seen a lot of movies within the last few years with multiple Chinese company logos during the opening credits, and I'm sure that's going to be the case with games as well.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

NetEase…. so they'll be making shitty Asian style MMOs. Nice knowing you Bungie.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Nerevarine
Death Knight

Looks like somebody paying $100 million to get access to that tasty Blizzard-Launcher Data via Destiny/Activision since they also found a way into it.
Nerevarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

This is what happens when you don't make a sequel to Oni.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Looks like somebody paying $100 million to get access to that tasty Blizzard-Launcher Data via Destiny/Activision since they also found a way into it.
Bungie "found a way into" the Blizzard launcher because Destiny is published by Activision and they wanted Destiny 2 prominently displayed in the only digital storefront-like app they have.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Tencent (Chinese) bought GGG (PoE) a few weeks back. Chinese companies are gobbling up gaming publishers/developers left and right. Gotta get that 'social score' ubiquitous across the industry, right comrades?

I've spent a bunch of money in PoE, but no more. I'm not funding a Chinese company with my purch...<looks at crap from Wal-Mart>

FFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activision, bungie, failboat