8 Replies, 473 Views
Jurassic World Short...
Last post by Terran
10-19-2019 07:53 PM
8 Replies, 1,543 Views

Old 07-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Rumor: Microsoft's Next Console to Come in Local Hardware & Cloud Variations in 2020

Game informer has the story.

Quote:
At E3 this past year, Xbox chief Phil Spencer made a surprising admission that work on next-gen consoles had already begun, and even let slip the plural "devices" when talking about what the next generation of Xbox codenamed Scarlett might look like. According to a report from tech site Thurrott, that blurry picture is starting to come into focus with Microsoft planning to make a traditional console as well as a more capable streaming box as a cheaper option.

First, Thurrott reports, Microsoft is indeed going to release a traditional console as they have always done. This means a singular box with up-to-date hardware inside to play games locally. It is unknown exactly what hardware it will contain as the development on the hardware seems to be early, but one would expect a generational leap over the Xbox One.

Where it gets interesting is that a second device is rumored to also be in the works. This box will be fairly hardware-light, mostly for accepting controller inputs, displaying an image to the screen, and collision detection according to Thurrott. That means it's not just a streaming box as we know it, but one that offloads some computational ability to the local hardware. It is pointed out in the report that this makes the Xbox-lite a bit more expensive than you would think but still a lot cheaper than a traditional console.

The idea for Microsoft is to leverage their vast bank of Azure servers, comparable to the kind of cloud Amazon wields with Amazon Web Storage, for use with their consoles. Microsoft tried to apply Azure to the Xbox One, but trepidatious development due to consumer confusion, a lack of a cohesive vision for its use, and poor internet infrastructure put it on the backburner. It wasn't until E3 this past year when Spencer began talking up cloud services once again, shortly before segueing into discussion of Scarlett.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Traditionalists (read: people who want local processing power) will have that option, and the cheaper version will be a streaming console (I'm guessing here).
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

I'm not sure what to make of this.

I have no confidence in a streaming device with rendering on the other end. I understand the nuances involved... I just see it as a flop.

I'm not a big fan of Azure. It has some handy things... but then one of my C-level guys got targeted today with a Sextortion email... the sending domain was outlook.com

FFS.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

They did this once before with the 360 Arcade SKU which I am not sure could be counted as a success. Media extender lovers found a use for it but as a console I believe it was a failure.

In the meantime developers had to work with a stripped down SKU which crippled their abilities because everything had to work with the Arcade which didn't have the HDD.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
They did this once before with the 360 Arcade SKU which I am not sure could be counted as a success. Media extender lovers found a use for it but as a console I believe it was a failure.

In the meantime developers had to work with a stripped down SKU which crippled their abilities because everything had to work with the Arcade which didn't have the HDD.
The arcade was great you could throw your HD in one when you sent your red ringed 360 back to be fixed 😊
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
The idea for Microsoft is to leverage their vast bank of Azure servers, comparable to the kind of cloud Amazon wields with Amazon Web Storage, for use with their consoles. Microsoft tried to apply Azure to the Xbox One, but trepidatious development due to consumer confusion, a lack of a cohesive vision for its use, and poor internet infrastructure put it on the backburner.
Never forget: THIS was supposed to use the power of The Cloud(TM):

And turned into this:

It doesn't matter how hard Microsoft wishes the magic of the cloud to be real, it just doesn't work that way. Sure, you could do a streaming console for non-discerning gamers that live in a region with high-speed internet, but I seriously doubt that this audience is large enough to warrant the tech and ongoing costs.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Cranium
Reaper

I guess the only "minor" detail holding back cloud rendered games is the inability to guarantee consistent framerate?
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This idea already failed once with consumers, so it is no wonder Microsoft wants to go back to it a second time. The more they push things in this direction the better the outlook for Sony. E3 was a disaster for Microsoft because they had nothing to show off their new hardware with and then they hinted that new hardware is in the works. It’s like just jabbing a fork in the eye of everyone who bought the Scorpio to say that it will be outdated a year later.

Sony is also about to announce new hardware, but you didn’t see them rubbing their fans noses in it right during the show where they are trying to get you to buy their upcoming exclusives.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
This idea already failed once with consumers, so it is no wonder Microsoft wants to go back to it a second time. The more they push things in this direction the better the outlook for Sony. E3 was a disaster for Microsoft because they had nothing to show off their new hardware with and then they hinted that new hardware is in the works. It’s like just jabbing a fork in the eye of everyone who bought the Scorpio to say that it will be outdated a year later.

Sony is also about to announce new hardware, but you didn’t see them rubbing their fans noses in it right during the show where they are trying to get you to buy their upcoming exclusives.
By the time Microsoft's new hardware is on the market, the One X would have been available for three years. Assuming Sony releases new hardware around the same time, the Pro would have been available for four.

You're making an issue out of a complete non-issue. If I bought a One X today, I'd still have two full years with it being the "current" hardware offering from Microsoft...and with their plans for hardware and software moving forward, I wouldn't even need to upgrade to their next hardware, because the games will still work with it. This is precisely what they've been working towards for the past couple of years.

Moving forward, I'd much rather have an Xbox as my primary console, specifically because I won't have to worry about upgrading to the latest and greatest box while leaving most of my library behind. Sure, Sony has their wonderful exclusives...but Microsoft's box would be perfect for everything else.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
By the time Microsoft's new hardware is on the market, the One X would have been available for three years. Assuming Sony releases new hardware around the same time, the Pro would have been available for four.

You're making an issue out of a complete non-issue. If I bought a One X today, I'd still have two full years with it being the "current" hardware offering from Microsoft...and with their plans for hardware and software moving forward, I wouldn't even need to upgrade to their next hardware, because the games will still work with it. This is precisely what they've been working towards for the past couple of years.

Moving forward, I'd much rather have an Xbox as my primary console, specifically because I won't have to worry about upgrading to the latest and greatest box while leaving most of my library behind. Sure, Sony has their wonderful exclusives...but Microsoft's box would be perfect for everything else.
Yeah, this is very pro-consumer, but the EvAv spin machine always wants to portray this type of stuff as an attack on users.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #11
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Yeah, this is very pro-consumer, but the EvAv spin machine always wants to portray this type of stuff as an attack on users.
While I agree that EvAv's attempts to spin every single news in Sony's favor are highly annoying, I do believe that anything that takes games and hardware AWAY from the customer (like this rumor would imply) is NOT pro-consumer. Unless you're going by the literal definition of "consumer" vs. "owner", of course...
Old 07-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
While I agree that EvAv's attempts to spin every single news in Sony's favor are highly annoying, I do believe that anything that takes games and hardware AWAY from the customer (like this rumor would imply) is NOT pro-consumer. Unless you're going by the literal definition of "consumer" vs. "owner", of course...
Until they beginning offering only streaming consoles, they're not really trying to take anything away from consumers. It's a budget option that will - in all likelihood - fail to one degree or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
The funny part is that every time I would bring this up, the canned retort would be to talk about the 360 backward-compatibility and how it's "all they're offering". The fact that this is what they were working toward would simply fall on deaf ears.

I could confidently buy a One X today without having to really worry about the new hardware coming in 2020, because most of what will be released for that hardware - for the first couple of years, at least - would work just fine with the older hardware.

How is this a bad thing?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
NightRain
Evil Dead

From what I've read Sony has been doing pretty good with PS Now subscriptions, so this is really no different.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
From what I've read Sony has been doing pretty good with PS Now subscriptions, so this is really no different.
Really? Are any numbers on this publicly available? Everyone I know either hates the concept (especially since Sony abandoned the idea of playing PS1 and PS2 games) or - even worse - is totally apathetic towards it. Of course, it might be different in the US. American consumers seem to be much more open for digital purchases in general and subscriptions in particular.

Me? I'm too old for this shit. I also wouldn't want to drag a network cable through my living room to reduce latency on my consoles...
Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
Personally, I'd rather have an option that doesn't require an additional monthly subscription.

Sony's version might work, but I prefer Microsoft's approach so far.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Traditionalists (read: people who want local processing power) will have that option, and the cheaper version will be a streaming console (I'm guessing here).
RIP MS. I hope they try this .

Also, in before free streaming box with a subscription to live.

Ugh..

Tags
microsoft, xbox