Yesterday 04:22 PM
4,804 Replies, 1,050,253 Views

Old 08-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Gamer Murders Rivals in Mass Shooting After Losing in Madden 19 Tournament

The Daily Mail has the story.

Quote:
A white male gunman is among the 'multiple fatalities' after a mass shooting broke out at an online gaming tournament in Florida that was partially captured on a horrifying livestream.

Local media are reporting that four people are dead and 11 have been injured in the shooting at the Jacksonville Landing complex in Jacksonville on Sunday afternoon.

The Jax Sheriff's Office confirmed there were multiple fatalities and injuries and said one suspect was dead at the scene.

The shooting broke out during the Madden NFL online gaming tournament, which was being hosted in a game room inside the Chicago Pizza restaurant.

Witnesses have said the shooter was a player who had just lost in the tournament.

One witness told CNN he saw the gunman shoot multiple people before killing himself and that it appeared he had a laser sight on the gun to help him target victims.

Authorities would not reveal details about the shooter's death and only confirmed that he was a white male.

President Donald Trump has offered local officials any resources they need in responding to the shooting, according to Florida Governor Rick Scott, who was en route to the scene on Sunday evening.

By about 4.30pm, SWAT teams had cleared the Jacksonville Landing of potential victims and witnesses.
Update: David Katz, 24, killed himself and two others, and left 11 people injured in the chaotic shooting at the Jacksonville Landing complex in Jacksonville at around 1.34pm on Sunday, police said.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

It's a fucking videogame!

Just sickening.

One of our kids is\was on his high school esports teams. I know they take this stuff seriously but never to this point.

What more can you say?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

"A white male gunman"

Really? That's the lede? I'm trying to imagine the reaction if it said "a black male gunman" but we all know that race isn't reported by the press when it doesn't suit their purposes.

And wtf is up with any event of any significance or size beyond that of your local cub scout chapter being conducted without any kind of bag check or metal detector or security on hand?

Let's ban video games to prevent such tragedies in the future. eSports definitely must go at the very least. :sigh: /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

They might have led with the shooter's race to offset the inevitable "thug" comments. When in doubt, some folks love to assume.

If the kid had laser sight on his weapon, it could have been premeditated.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
If the kid had laser sight on his weapon, it could have been premeditated.
This shooting may have be premeditated, but the presence of a "laser sight" on his firearm is not itself evidence of that. It's like saying "he had a sight on his firearm, so he intended to commit mass murder."
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Pro-gamer, 24, who shot dead two and injured 11 after LOSING: Florida tournament killer 'used a laser-sighted gun' to carry out massacre captured on livestream audio before taking his own life

Quote:
  • David Katz, 24, has been identified as the shooter who killed himself at scene
  • Two others are dead and 11 were injured in mass shooting in Florida on Sunday
  • Shooting broke out during the Madden NFL gaming tournament in Jacksonville
  • Witnesses say the shooter was a pro gamer who had just lost in the tournament
  • Horrifying livestream audio from tournament captured the screams of victims
  • Shooter allegedly had laser gun-sight and shot up room before taking own life
  • Federal agents raided a home thought to be the shooter's in South Baltimore
  • Governor Rick Scott is en route and President Trump offered federal resources

Police have identified the suspect in a mass shooting at a video game tournament in Florida that was partially captured on a horrifying livestream.

David Katz, 24, killed himself and two others, and left 11 people injured in the chaotic shooting at the Jacksonville Landing complex in Jacksonville at around 1.34pm on Sunday, police said.

An official close to the investigation said that the gunman killed himself with the semi-auto handgun used in the shooting, which had a laser sight.

Nine of the non-fatal injuries were gunshot wounds and two were sustained while fleeing the chaos, Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said.

Williams said that Katz is from Baltimore and had traveled to Jacksonville for the video gaming tournament. His car was seized by police near the scene.

Katz is known to have gone by the gamer monikers 'RavensChamp', 'Bread' and 'TREXHAVAHARTATAK'. He won the Madden 17 Bills Club Championship in February of 2017 in Buffalo, New York.

An announcer for one of the gaming tournaments Katz previously played in described him thus: 'He is not here to make friends. He's all business, he's focused, and to even get him to open up to talk to you about anything - it's like pulling teeth, man.'

Witnesses have said the gunman had just lost in the tournament when the shooting began.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 08-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Does anyone else find it weird that you can hear gunshots but no audible screaming? I would imagine there would at least be shouts of pain.

I dunno.

In any case, we've got a problem with video games in this country.

At one point, video games were all about HAVING FUN. Somewhere along the line they became things you spend time to get better at, with no real value if you hit the target, but immense frustration if you didn't.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not trying to turn this away from the CORE of the issue here, which is guns MENTAL HEALTH, but I felt this is a great time to voice this other concern.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Very sad for all involved. I wish a speedy recovery for the wounded and hope the dead lived the life they would have like to have been remembered for, including the alleged shooter, because that is what they have to be judged upon.

Madden isn't quite a "murder simulator" so I'm not sure what the backlash will be here against games or if it will be more crap against Trump and the NRA. Unless it becomes about how much money can be made by pro-gamers and so each of these events needs to be more and more locked down.

Obviously being in a Gun-Free zone didn't help since the complex this occured in is a gun free zone and no amount of assault weapon bans will stop this type of crime from occuring.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #10
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
At one point, video games were all about HAVING FUN. Somewhere along the line they became things you spend time to get better at, with no real value if you hit the target, but immense frustration if you didn't.
Video-games are big money now. It went from something that you did for fun/as a hobby, to something that you could legitimately make a career out of. All those jokes about "being good at Nintendo" in the 90's is now a professional career path. So it is not that surprising that people are taking things a lot more seriously now that real money and financial stability are in reach.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't really think so. They've become a huge business, and as a business grows it expands into areas it never existed in before. Twitch streaming, eSports, scholarships for collegiate eSport teams, huge conventions, etc. etc. Expand the pie you have more people involved. More people means even statistically insignificant idiosyncrasies will now manifest in the population because it's large enough to include them.

How many video game involved deaths do you think occurred in 2017? A ridiculously small number. Maybe even zero. How about these ballpark numbers for 2017 in other areas:

* 72,000+ overdose deaths
* 45,000 suicides
* 17,000 homicides
* 40,000 vehicular deaths
* 600,000 cancer deaths
* 250,000+ killed by doctors' errors.

What happened really truly sucks for those touched by it, but we don't have a video game problem in the U.S. We have lots of problems, but that's not one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied

Last edited by Terran; 08-26-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah, that's how you gotta put it into perspective.
Additionally, this phenomenon of people taking something seriously that you'd consider just a hobby isn't new.
You see it with board games too. People making a career of playing Chess or Poker. Even Magic: The Gathering.
And regular gamers do know the feeling of anger when your match goes badly, or taking great pride in your stats.
Of course I only said this to excuse the shooter and enable more murders.

Last edited by RAV; 08-26-2018 at 09:36 PM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #13
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

It's obvious what the problem is here.....

We need to ban MADEN, look at the violence it instills....

And we should follow Californians cutting edge legal bravery with their ban on straws, we should ban controllers, it would stop the video game epidemic that leads to so many violent deaths and unpaid feminists...
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #14
paragondk1
Reaper

Quote:
Does anyone else find it weird that you can hear gunshots but no audible screaming? I would imagine there would at least be shouts of pain.

I dunno.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not trying to turn this away from the CORE of the issue here, which is guns MENTAL HEALTH, but I felt this is a great time to voice this other concern.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if not, I think you are missing the big picture. There's a reason the US has so many murders, and everyone outside your borders can see it plain as day. Videogames ain't it.

That said; yep, competitive esports are going to cause high emotion such as jealousy and rage, just as any other highly competitive field or sport.
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
I think you are describing the Souls series along with every arcade action "roguelike". In quotes because roguelikes should ALWAYS be turn based!

Does anyone find it ironic that this was committed over a stupid football sim with NO GUNS in it?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:41 AM   #16
BadIronTree
Subscriber

he target the guys that won

That is a sad loser ...

PS: with all the ban GTA and shit... we will see ban Madden comments
Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #17
wildcard
Soul Reaper

I think this has far more to do with not letting kids lose their entire life. Failure is actually very good for people. Remove that for 15+ years let them get hormonal, and then let them get serious about something to then fail at it. You are asking for trouble at that point. Its sad, but shit happens.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #18
LilAbner
Evil Dead

Quote:
Do you really not hear the screams of pain in that video? Might be time for a hearing checkup.

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #19
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I think you are describing the Souls series along with every arcade action "roguelike". In quotes because roguelikes should ALWAYS be turn based!

Does anyone find it ironic that this was committed over a stupid football sim with NO GUNS in it?
From someone not in the USA, the perspective around the world isn't that you have guns and violence in popular media thus making your populace violent. No one really believes that rhetoric unless they are using it to make a (usually leftist) political stand.

But the ease of access to guns combined with a willingness to go on shooting sprees seems recently unique to the USA.

TLR its not the games with guns that seem to have the problems, but the actual real life ease of access to weapons. Bla bla bla you can make the argument about UK knife violence, or the Toronto Van Rampage, but reality is that if those assholes (the terrorist, the douchebag, the incel etc) had the ease of access to the varied weps in the USA, the rest of the world also would catch up to the state's gun related murder sprees.

But fuck all that right, 2nd amendment!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Can we finally have that conversation about banning?

I am ofc talking about banning Madden. What did you think I was talking about?

/s
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime, ea sports, madden 19