Yesterday 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,553 Views

Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The Epic Games Store Has Changed Its Refund Policy To Match Steam's

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
The Epic Games Store has announced a change in its refund policy. Epic Games director of publishing strategy Sergey Galyonkin revealed the change on Twitter, writing that people will be able to refund a game provided it is "within 14 days of purchase and under 2 hours played." You will also now have unlimited refunds through Epic, giving the game store the same policy as Steam.

According to Variety, to previously refund a game on Epic, you had to submit a ticket. From there, you'd get a verification request where you'd need to fill out several fields of information, including your public IP address, the date your Epic Games account was created, an invoice ID, your location, your account's display name, the final four numbers of the debit or credit card connected to your account, and the date of your last login. Only then would your ticket be reviewed.

Now, provided you ask within the 14 days and two hours played guidelines, you only need to submit a ticket through player support to get the refund. "The team is working on the self-service solution, but for now, you'll have to go through player support," Galyonkin said.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

It's a fair policy, and it makes good sense to at least match your competitor's positive aspects, if not exceed them to gain a competitive advantage.

The same thing is happening to gaming that is happening to televised content...an explosion of platforms and the death of the monolithic provider. It's a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Cool, now they need to beat Steam and ban anyone who reviews a game on Steam with over 100 hours played and still gives it a negative score.

Seriously, how can someone put that many hours into a game and not realize it was worth your time and money?

Spoiled morons!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Cool, now they need to beat Steam and ban anyone who reviews a game on Steam with over 100 hours played and still gives it a negative score.

Seriously, how can someone put that many hours into a game and not realize it was worth your time and money?

Spoiled morons!
Hopefully they don't figure out how to breed.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:

Spoiled morons!
While I agree with you for the most part. I think something special would need to be done for games like Dota 2 where patches are what break/ruin the game. So maybe like a sub-note of what patch number the review was left on? no clue
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:

Spoiled morons!
Two situations come to mind:

1) An Early Access game is released meeting none of the goals it promised or is released in shit condition. People may have bought this game in early access and done their good deed of playing and giving feedback only to have it ignored; in which case the negative review is warranted.

2) A developer changes fundamental aspects of a game that is well into post launch life-cycle. This can happen with many games but particularly those that have online components changing not only core gameplay but perhaps introducing tons of bugs.

Steam reviews, even post 100 hours, help keep these honest.

I specifically remember when Marvel Heroes introduced their "Biggest Patch Ever" in January of 2017 (4 years after release, including a rebranding to conceal the review scores from their launch debacles). This patch completely changed combat and enemies but they didn't rebalance the gear or the rest of the rewards in the game.

After being soundly ignored by Gazillion as the company locked all feedback threads on their forums, many felt the only viable place Gazillion would feel the feedback was via a negative review on Steam.

Disney revoked Gazillion's access to the Marvel license (or at least didn't renew their license) and Gazillion went out of business in November of 2017.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Two situations come to mind:

1) An Early Access game is released meeting none of the goals it promised or is released in shit condition. People may have bought this game in early access and done their good deed of playing and giving feedback only to have it ignored; in which case the negative review is warranted.

2) A developer changes fundamental aspects of a game that is well into post launch life-cycle. This can happen with many games but particularly those that have online components changing not only core gameplay but perhaps introducing tons of bugs.

I specifically remember when Marvel Heroes introduced their "Biggest Patch Ever" in January of 2017 (4 years after release, including a rebranding to conceal the review scores from their launch debacles). This patch completely changed combat and enemies but they didn't rebalance the gear or the rest of the rewards in the game.

After being soundly ignored by Gazillion as the company locked all feedback threads on their forums, many felt the only viable place Gazillion would feel the feedback was via a negative review on Steam.

Disney revoked Gazillion's access to the Marvel license (or at least didn't renew their license) and Gazillion went out of business in November of 2017.
Don't forget leaving the game on not bothering to shut the game down before going to bed/work/afk. I do it all the time.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #8
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Another good example is Stellaris. That game is considerably different now compared to it's state when it was released. Not even commenting on if it's better or worse.

Frankly, most Paradox games work that way.

Is negative reviews after 100 hours really that big of a problem? Franky, if I was Valve, I wouldn't be bothered preventing that either.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

Spoiled morons!
As mentioned, there are a number of reasons why they should allow players to provide negative reviews and feedback on games they've dumped a ton of time into.

Steam actually accounts for this; they provide both the recent and overall scores/impressions. The overall score could be very positive, but recent reactions could be mixed or negative. This is actually extremely useful information because it means something happened that significantly impacted the game. It's lead me to do some additional digging into a few titles I was eyeballing to find out what happened.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #10
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:

Spoiled morons!
Fuck yeah, glad someone said it. Always made me angry when I saw a negative review and even 50+ hours of play on some indie $20 title.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Spoiled morons!
How mighty censorship of you.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 AM   #12
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I played 100 hours of the division before turning it into a wind chime thingy to scare the birds. Its sucked because they patched out all the fun.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
Fuck yeah, glad someone said it. Always made me angry when I saw a negative review and even 50+ hours of play on some indie $20 title.
While there will always be that sort of shitty behavior, there are plenty of examples where the negative reactions after 50+ hours are warranted. Sometimes a patch introduces game-breaking bugs or completely alters the way the game is played in fundamental ways. There is a myriad of reasons why someone's opinion of a game may change after 50 or 100 hours dumped into a game.

Besides, they do provide both the overall and recent (from the past 30 days) reactions. If the overall reaction is positive but the recent reactions are mixed, there's a good chance something happened to sour players; this is when I do a little digging and actually read some of the responses/reviews.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Screw the individual reviews. Look at the recent reviews and all reviews aggregates. You'll have a great idea how the game was received when it first came out and how it's doing lately.
Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I hate this digital trend. With both movies and games.

It used to be I just needed Netflix and Steam. Now I have 4-5 streaming services and Disney is coming next. The cost is climbing. I'm considering ridding myself of all but one.

I know competition is good generally, but the same applies here. I used to just have Steam. Now I have GOG, Steam, Origin, uplay, EPIC, Twitch Games, Battle.net, etc and it's just turning into a giant pain in the ass.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I hate this digital trend. With both movies and games.

It used to be I just needed Netflix and Steam. Now I have 4-5 streaming services and Disney is coming next. The cost is climbing. I'm considering ridding myself of all but one.

I know competition is good generally, but the same applies here. I used to just have Steam. Now I have GOG, Steam, Origin, uplay, EPIC, Twitch Games, Battle.net, etc and it's just turning into a giant pain in the ass.
Holy first world problems batman. make a folder of shortcuts, click what you wanna play, problem solved.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #17
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

Ive had games that updated a new patch, and then would no longer run properly. stability and software/hardware conflicts on a game that used to work is another reason for negative reviews after more than 2 hours played.

The nice thing with piracy is i can skip needing to have all these different software services installed, assassin creed without origin or uplay(not sure which one they use), GOG releases are often standalone and run perfect without needing a crack.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Now I have GOG, Steam, Origin, uplay, EPIC, Twitch Games, Battle.net, etc and it's just turning into a giant pain in the ass.
Shortcuts are a giant pain in the ass?

Well, we have a solution at hand! Play on platforms that are primarily geared toward physical content, such as your Switch with its carts, and ignore digital content/delivery!

You're welcome!
Quote:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I can sympathize a bit Pat. One of the problems with all of these launchers is the patching. I never use the Epic launcher myself except when the kids feel like playing Fortnite on the PC. Since that's only once in a while, there's always a launcher patch that I have to download and then there's always some big Fortnite patch that I have to download on top of that. The same is true when I launch something on Steam. I don't use Steam often so there are always patches for Steam itself in addition to the game patches. I never minded this as much back when I played Blizzard games constantly because I was loading up that thing every day. But for the launchers that I only launch occasionally, it gets to be just a bit of a hassle.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Shortcuts are a giant pain in the ass?

Well, we have a solution at hand! Play on platforms that are primarily geared toward physical content, such as your Switch with its carts, and ignore digital content/delivery!

You're welcome!
Amusingly enough, the Switch is actually slowly driving me closer to the digital-only side of the spectrum. Ultimately, I prefer owning physical copies...but swapping the carts out is just annoying enough that I'm starting to lean more towards digital.

Tags
epic games