The Walking Dead Season...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Yesterday 10:30 AM
8 Replies, 836 Views

Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Movie Viewers Vote No on Oprah's Newest Feature

Black Panther has devoured the box office for a fourth week, beating out rival Disney film A Wrinkle in Time and horror sequel Strangers: Prey at Night.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 9th to March 11th, 2018.
  1. Black Panther $41.1/$562.0
  2. A Wrinkle in Time $33.3/$33.3
  3. Strangers: Prey at Night $10.4/$10.4
  4. Red Sparrow $8.1/$31.1
  5. Game Night $7.9/$45.0
  6. Peter Rabbit $6.8/$93.4
  7. Death Wish $6.6/$23.8
  8. The Hurricane Heist $3.1/$3.1
  9. Annihilation $3.1/$26.0
  10. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $2.7/$397.2
  11. Gringo $2.6/$2.6
  12. The Shape of Water $2.4/$61.0

Even with a modest $103 million budget, A Wrinkle in Time will end up being a 100% loss for Disney.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Down with the Oprah.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They stripped out the book's religious themes, neutering the entire story in the process. It would be akin to serving up a tofu steak at Ruth's Chris and calling it a steak.

I'm not rewarding Hollyweird for once again displaying its anti-Christian bigotry, even though it would cost me nothing to attend (with MoviePass). A hard pass for me.

Also, Oprah's advice is bullshit.

Quote:
Oprah is perhaps the world’s foremost purveyor of “sola feels” doctrine: the idea that truth is “personal” and subjective, and that feelings should be your ultimate guide in life. But the heart doesn’t lead us to what is good, for us or anyone else — it is ever inclined towards evil.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Grast5150
Lord

There was no story. It was all costumes and horrible acting. Look at the reviews and the propaganda for the film, they are surprised that only White people are seeing the movie as majority since this was directed and staring Black Director and Actors. So basically, this is a SJW film which gutted the book and wondering why no one wants to see it. Later...
Grast5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Syloney
Squire

I'm really curious on how Tomb raider would do. I actually thought it was already out for viewing.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Apparently John Scalzi, the scifi writer of Old Man's War and more, really loved it. Like in a crying and sobbing all the way through level: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2018/03/...inkle-in-time/
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Apparently John Scalzi, the scifi writer of Old Man's War and more, really loved it. Like in a crying and sobbing all the way through level: https://whatever.scalzi.com/2018/03/...inkle-in-time/
This is kind of sad to hear, coming from a grown man, though not too surprising when it's Scalzi.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

He's projecting his own emotional issues onto the film. Really not all that unusual, but definitely annoying in his attempt to make it seem like there's any universal applicability or excellence attached to his emotional reaction.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
He's projecting his own emotional issues onto the film. Really not all that unusual, but definitely annoying in his attempt to make it seem like there's any universal applicability or excellence attached to his emotional reaction.
Thatís all anyone ever does.

Iím a real soft touch about any movie involving love between brothers. I cried for about 30 minutes after The Brotherís Bloom And consistently through the last act of Sing Street. Itís solely because of my relationship with my own brothers.

Lots of people feel that way about war movies and movies involving military service.

A lot of parents like movies about babies and children.

A part of the film watching process is the personal emotions you bring with you.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syloney View Post
I'm really curious on how Tomb raider would do. I actually thought it was already out for viewing.
Me too. I was looking last night. The earliest reviews are saying itís bad.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post

Iím a real soft touch about any movie involving love between brothers. I cried for about 30 minutes after The Brotherís Bloom And consistently through the last act of Sing Street. Itís solely because of my relationship with my own brothers.

Lots of people feel that way about war movies and movies involving military service.

A lot of parents like movies about babies and children.

A part of the film watching process is the personal emotions you bring with you.
He already said that it's not unusual and he also said what he found annoying about it. I happen to agree with you both.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's why it's "not all that unusual." It certainly is NOT "all anyone ever does" however. Art has objective features that do not rely upon one's own personal emotional reactions for meaning or analysis.

His attempt to universalize his experience is annoying. As he says: "Maybe it wonít have the same effect on you that it had on me ó in fact, it probably wonít, because you are not me. But Iím willing to believe it will have some effect."

Just because it was personally powerful does not mean it will impact others at all. He needs to get beyond self absorbed navel gazing.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I don't trust John Scalzi. His politics with the Hugos and the efforts he's gone through to ensure only an elite of writers get to keep voting and passing trophies around like some incestious writers club is a real travisty.

It doesn't surprise me if he cried through the movie. He has so much estrogen in his system he probably started crying at the Coke and Popcorn commercial before the movie even started. And it sounds like they butchered the book so for me it seems like he's pimping an agenda/female director and diversity casting than a movie.

In other news, remember Annihilation is utter shit. Save some money and go do something funner instead, like buy a hammer and break every bone in one of your hands.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
That's why it's "not all that unusual." It certainly is NOT "all anyone ever does" however. Art has objective features that do not rely upon one's own personal emotional reactions for meaning or analysis.

His attempt to universalize his experience is annoying. As he says: "Maybe it wonít have the same effect on you that it had on me ó in fact, it probably wonít, because you are not me. But Iím willing to believe it will have some effect."

Just because it was personally powerful does not mean it will impact others at all. He needs to get beyond self absorbed navel gazing.
I wasn't arguing with him.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I wasn't arguing with him.
Pronouns need clear antecedents, logic requires explication. Then again, you also need someone who cares.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I finally got around to seeing Black Panther last night. It was a solid MCU movie and was better than I expected; my expectations were a little higher than normal, given the overall reception it was getting.

My biggest complaint is the fact that they went with the "Villain who is a dark version of the Hero" trope yet again...but, it was softened by the fact that they were able to eschew some of the standard origin story crap. Still, Killmonger was a good villain and he's the latest entry on the list of villains I wish they hadn't immediately killed off.

It wasn't as good as Winter Soldier, but it's definitely one of the better entries in the series so far.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I don't trust John Scalzi. His politics with the Hugos and the efforts he's gone through to ensure only an elite of writers get to keep voting and passing trophies around like some incestious writers club is a real travisty.

It doesn't surprise me if he cried through the movie. He has so much estrogen in his system he probably started crying at the Coke and Popcorn commercial before the movie even started. And it sounds like they butchered the book so for me it seems like he's pimping an agenda/female director and diversity casting than a movie.

In other news, remember Annihilation is utter shit. Save some money and go do something funner instead, like buy a hammer and break every bone in one of your hands.
I enjoyed it. I think the ending is a travesty, but the rest of the film is pretty decent. The real shame is that not only did they butcher the ending, they also cut out any possibility of making the sequels in the process... and considering that the second book is the best of the three, that's a crime.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Skunk
Evil Dead

Gringo looked funny... Wonder why its doing so bad?
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

I saw Gringo. It's an Amazon Studios production, and it suffers for their inexperience at times. Not enough laughs for something billed as comedic, some plodding pacing at points, but a satisfyingly twisted conclusion in the end.

Home viewing recommended. Big screen unnecessary.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
Gringo looked funny... Wonder why its doing so bad?
Based solely on commercials, they seemingly waited until their most recent set of ads to actually start showing what the movie was about.

My guess is that folks just aren't quite sure what it is.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart