10 Replies, 900 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Namco Museum Announced for Switch

Click on the Headline for the Trailer.

Quote:
Gamers Can Now Enjoy Classic Arcade Gaming Anywhere, Anytime With Namco Museum on the Nintendo Switch

Leading interactive entertainment developer and publisher Bandai Namco Entertainment America today announces Namco Museum, the ultimate collection of beloved arcade games from the 1980s. This classic catalog includes favorites from Namco’s classic arcade collection, including Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaga ‘88, The Tower of Druaga, Rolling Thunder, Rolling Thunder 2, SkyKid, Splatterhouse, and Tank Force. The Namco Museum collection will be available exclusively on the Nintendo Switch in Summer 2017.

With Namco Museum, players will be transported back to the days when coin-operated arcades reigned supreme, for a truly nostalgic experience. Through the Nintendo Switch, these retro classics can be played anytime, anywhere, and against anyone through the game’s online ranking system. With the ranking system, players can compete to earn the number one spot on the worldwide challenger board for their favorite Namco arcade classics. Players nostalgic for the classic coin-op era can transform their Nintendo Switch into a miniature cabinet by turning the handheld console vertically for a taller, slimmer screen that replicates the original arcade experience. Namco Museum also provides a challenge mode, presenting players new and unique challenges for each game, giving classic games a fresh twist.

“Namco Museum is the perfect game for anyone looking to add a series of fun, classic, and addictive games to their Switch collection,” said Eric Hartness, Vice President of Marketing for Bandai Namco Entertainment America. “Arcade games from the ‘80s were some of the most challenging, rewarding, and cherished experiences a gamer could have. From blasting enemy spacecrafts in Galaga to chomping dots while avoiding ghosts in Pac-Man, Namco Museum is packed with entertaining classic gameplay, no quarters needed.”
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

As much as Sony's Home was bad, I really liked the idea of having arcade cabinets in my apartment that I could walk up to and play Namco Museum games on. Someone really needs to make a virtual arcade game that has real arcade cabinets/game management and gameplay.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
As much as Sony's Home was bad, I really liked the idea of having arcade cabinets in my apartment that I could walk up to and play Namco Museum games on. Someone really needs to make a virtual arcade game that has real arcade cabinets/game management and gameplay.
Search for "new retro arcade" on YouTube. Good stuff.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Awesome. Now I just need to wait for the second generation of VR headsets (current generation are not as comfortable as the PSVR and the fidelity is still not good enough).
Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
LostToys
Evil Dead

Yes, I know that you do not need VR, but something like this definitely benefits from a VR configuration of being able to interact with the cabinets.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Personally I've found that pinball is really good in VR as it adds significantly to the gameplay. I found the virtual arcade was cool but in the end it doesn't really add that much overall.

Personally I really like the HTC Vive and the room scale stuff. It remains to be seen if we will even see second generation VR.. too many people with strong opinions when they haven't even tried it or simply can't afford it. The internet is full of experts now who can write things off based on one tiny thing they don't like or normally what someone else doesn't like and they simply repeat it without any real personal experience. Not talking about you LostToys as you imply you've used it and found it uncomfortable but many people say this and they haven't even used it . The fidelity wont be there until there are PCs powerful enough to push 4K to each eye, at the moment I think its good enough for me but looking forward to the improvements and i'll upgrade my PC accordingly.

Of the 3 main VR units I've found the Vive to be the best experience if you have the space for room scale. I was not that impressed with the PSVR as I used it after the Vive and Rift.. but for the price its a nice entry level VR.

As most people say there are very few good games or they look poor, however I found that screenshots and videos of VR don't do it justice.. even simple looking games can be excellent in VR but as its Steam just like the normal store its drowning in rubbish also.

On topic I'm tired of buying the same old arcade games over and over.. I'm done with them even in VR .
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Another year, another Namco compilation pack. Meh.

On the VR train, I have yet to even try it. I will have to get around to it at some point. If I do dig it I definitely will wait for a hardware refresh before jumping in, and based on all I have read, Vive seems likely the one I would go with. But I want to refresh my CPU first before going down that road, so I have a few years.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post

On the VR train, I have yet to even try it. I will have to get around to it at some point. If I do dig it I definitely will wait for a hardware refresh before jumping in, and based on all I have read, Vive seems likely the one I would go with. But I want to refresh my CPU first before going down that road, so I have a few years.
Dude! Sure seems like it would be fun to play these games on the Switch. Don't knock the classics.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

Wait for homebrew.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #11
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Dude! Sure seems like it would be fun to play these games on the Switch. Don't knock the classics.
I am cool with the classics, they just release 5 of these every console generation. Plus the games looked super small running on the portable configuration of the Switch. But maybe it is great. Plus I know if it wasn't for this stuff and the Neo Geo stuff, what else would you play?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I don't think you understand: This one has SPLATTERHOUSE.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Ahh....well it is all good then.

I did see Splatterhouse. That actually momentarily peaked my interest.

Tags
namco museum