22 Replies, 1,686 Views
» Promotion

Old 04-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Captain Marvel Finds Its Directors

The Hollywood Reporter has the story.

Quote:
Mississippi Grind directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck will direct Brie Larson in Captain Marvel, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Guardians of the Galaxy's Nicole Perlman and Inside Out's Meg LeFauve wrote the script for the Marvel Studios film, which will be produced by Kevin Feige.

Boden and Fleck landed the job after an extensive search. Last summer, Marvel had whittled down its list of contenders to Niki Caro, Lesli Linka Glatter and Lorene Scafaria for the highly coveted helming gig, which will mark Marvel's first female-centric tentpole. The studio was making the hiring of a woman a priority for the project.

But Marvel was very deliberate in its decision-making, conducting several rounds of additional searches. The studio met with Lucia Aniello, who directed the upcoming female-centric raunchy comedy Rough Night, earlier this year even as it continued sharpening the script. Fifty Shades of Grey's Sam Taylor-Johnson, who helmed the highest-grossing movie of all time for a female director, also is said to have been approached. Earlier in the process, Jennifer Kent (The Babadook) and Jennifer Yuh (Kung Fu Panda 2) had been in the mix.

Along with Mississippi Grind, Boden and Fleck's other feature credits include the the 2006 Ryan Gosling starrer Half Nelson, which earned the actor his first Oscar nomination, though the bulk of the duo's work has been done in TV, including episodes of The Affair and Billions.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
wunshot
Subscriber

So when Marvel finally has it's first bomb are we all going to agree that for women, by women doesn't work in comic book movies? I mean shit....their blueprint is so solid that failure shouldn't be possible at this point.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

Don't worry, you can always find a way to blame the failure/success on the co-director, a man.

So if the film is a great success, it was because of Ryan Fleck was able to make sense of all the estrogen dripping from the script.

If the film fails, it is also because of Ryan Fleck, because he got in the way of his co-director and female writers and didn't understand the female story they were trying to tell.

So, well played Disney. Well played.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Forced pandering is destined for failure. Ghostbusters taught them nothing.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

DC needs to bring out their Shazam film to crush this captain marvel crap.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Sounds horrible.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I don't know what Captain Marvel does or what her superpowers are, I just have seen the amazing pictures and cosplay dedicated to her.

The actress is disappointing to say the least.

I think the female director will be credited the most if the movie succeeds and if it fails it will be the male director's fault.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Forced pandering is destined for failure. Ghostbusters taught them nothing.
It's because of the utter decline in testosterone levels in the Western World over the past century (according to a radio ad I heard) that this has happened. Why else would men willingly give all power and control in this way? Emasculation of the gene pool due to much sitting around and not enough hunting, gathering, and physically working your ass off.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

My point was maybe if all the SJW diversity males tried some free testosterone pills from radio offers, this would stop happening.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
So when Marvel finally has it's first bomb are we all going to agree that for women, by women doesn't work in comic book movies? I mean shit....their blueprint is so solid that failure shouldn't be possible at this point.
For women by women doesn't work in any capacity, nevermind comic book movies.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

I don't know...I think it has a shot. We'll see.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

When Wonder Woman bombs I wonder if they will even bother to make this movie? Early box office predictions have Wonder Woman's opening weekend at less than 80 Million. I would bet it struggles to reach 60 million in the USA.

Warner will come out OK, because they went dirt cheap on the budget and marketing for Wonder Woman, but skimping on the FX and the marketing also means it isn't going to be as good of a movie as any Marvel movies and probably can't even live up to Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad.

When WW bombs, Marvel will be looking at Captain Marve, a hero no one knows and who hasn't been in a single feature, and I'll bet they just totally pull the plug. It does't help that they are using a virtually unknown doormat for the lead role.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
mojo_x
Reaper

This will fail and I will have a sensible chuckle when it does. And its failure will be 100% attributed to some male involved or just "misogyny" in general by the media . Damn that patriarchy.

The character design pictured in OP is solid though.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #14
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
When WW bombs, Marvel will be looking at Captain Marve, a hero no one knows and who hasn't been in a single feature, and I'll bet they just totally pull the plug. It does't help that they are using a virtually unknown doormat for the lead role.
Ummm, Carol Danvers (See? I even know her name!:-) played a very prominent role in "Civil War II". I'll admit that I don't know much about her, because I'm not reading "Avengers" or any of the big event books, but she's been around for a very long time and has a solid set of powers. I also seem to remember she was a not-so-well-recovering alcoholic and led the Avengers at times, so there's definitely material for a movie. Also, she would make a good addition to the movie Avengers in my opinion. They sorely lack a more "physical" woman, and I doubt we'll see She-Hulk anytime soon (which is a shame, if you ask me).

Unless we're talking about Ms. Marvel. Then I got nothing.

That aside, didn't we all agree that "Wonder Woman" looked promising? ??
Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #15
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Big fan of both Brie Larson and Captain Marvel, so hoping this does pretty well. This and Ant-Man were the only solo MCU movies I had any interest in when they announced their schedule.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
That aside, didn't we all agree that "Wonder Woman" looked promising? ??
I think the trailer looks decent enough, I just feel like it is too similar to the first Captain America movie to really draw in a big audience. Wonder Woman has always struggled as a character, her comic book gets canceled every few years and DC always brings it back, but fans just don't latch onto that character.

Then I started reading that the box office predictions are pretty low for that one, so I think it will end up being a big flop for Warner.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
Nowyn
Ethos Knight

See I dont get this.

Captain Marvel is a perfectly good character to make a movie on. Rogue even stole Carol Danvers' powers for awhile which allowed Rogue to fly and do all of what Carol Danvers could do.

I always liked Captain Marvel and the Carol Danvers character and she's been in the canon for some time.

I can see and understand the backlash for the new "Iron Man" being a chick, but Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers has been around for awhile and isnt some new SJW plot. 1968 with her first showing and then 1977 when she got her more popular incarnation. So you're looking at a character that has been around for almost 50 years guys.

I think alot of you see things and get worked up immediately, chill people.

Last edited by Nowyn; 04-20-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post
See I dont get this.

Captain Marvel is a perfectly good character to make a movie on. Rogue even stole Carol Danvers' powers for awhile which allowed Rogue to fly and do all of what Carol Danvers could do.
This is a character that is virtually unknown to the public and a character who hasn't even had as much as a cameo in the Marvel cinematic universe.

That worked fine for Ant-Man, it will probably work out fine here. I just think it would have been smarter to do the solo Black Widow film and have Captain Marvel show up to be the super powered backup buddy before launching her into her own film.

Kind of like a female Batman v Superman.

Marvel is smarter than DC, not risking as much on budget. I'm still speculating that there is a good chance this film gets dropped if Wonder Woman under performs at the box office.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #19
Nowyn
Ethos Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
This is a character that is virtually unknown to the public and a character who hasn't even had as much as a cameo in the Marvel cinematic universe.

That worked fine for Ant-Man, it will probably work out fine here. I just think it would have been smarter to do the solo Black Widow film and have Captain Marvel show up to be the super powered backup buddy before launching her into her own film.

Kind of like a female Batman v Superman.

Marvel is smarter than DC, not risking as much on budget. I'm still speculating that there is a good chance this film gets dropped if Wonder Woman under performs at the box office.
See I agree with that, it does make alot of sense. I was kind of wondering why they were pushing the character without introducing her. Ant-Man worked like you said, but nobody really knows Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel as she became later. Black Panther being shown in Civil War and then a movie later on makes it so people can relate.

I just dont understand the SJW stuff that some people were being thrown in. If they made the next Iron Man movie with a black girl instead of Tony Stark, I can see the point, but this character (regardless of how fringe she may be) has been around for awhile, where the recent "iron man" hasnt.

I'm all for calling something for what it is, but it kinda has to be that first.

I'm not optimistic for this movie though, there were other actresses names being thrown around that I thought would have done a better presentation, but we'll see.

Last edited by Nowyn; 04-20-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Going out of their way to prioritize a certain group of people when hiring is precisely what sinks a project like this. It's not about who is best for the job or who understands and respects the source material while standing up for themselves. Behind the scenes every decision will be meticulously criticized and accusations of "you're only here because you are a -------" does great things for production. The whole thing wreaks as bad as Marvel's desperate search for any black director on the upcoming African super hero flick Black Panther when they never even considered someone like South African director Neill Blomkamp simply because he's white. It will eventually blow up in their faces as Ghostbusters did to Sony.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain marvel, marvel, marvel comics