Last post by Chief Smash
11-17-2018 08:37 PM
20 Replies, 1,032 Views

Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Activision says that Destiny 2: Forsaken Under-Performed

Quote:
Destiny 2: Forsaken is a dramatic improvement on the base game in just about every way: It's "the second wind Destiny 2 needed," Austin said in his high-scoring review, with "expanded RPG elements and quality of life changes" that make it more compelling and less frustrating. Nonetheless, Activision said in its third quarter earning calls today that it is "not performing as well as we'd like."

"Forsaken is a high quality expansion of content into the universe, honestly some of the highest quality content we've seen in the franchise to date," Activision COO Coddy Johnson said during the call. "And it really came out of Activision and Bungie working together to address community concerns post-Destiny 2 holistically—talking to players ... it needed a fundamental review of how to offer deeper endgame, greater powers, greater rewards, and engage players."
PC Gamer.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Or need players to spend, what, $100 or $120 to get the full game. Bungee 2 dropped the ball so hard. Maybe they should have given it for free, if it was “for the players”
Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Nowyn
Dread Lord

Or they turned off their audience by their BS game they put out. I would imagine that if they actually released accurate sales results, you'd see from the beginning of Destiny 1 through its DLC and then Destiny 2 through its DLC there would be a constant downward trend.

I really wanted to like Destiny and while the shooting elements was good, the rest of it was BS.
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I picked up Destiny 1 pretty late in the game but given the impressions I had of what they were going for, I was surprised how small the world was. I was thinking it was going to be borderline MMO sized but it certainly didn't feel that way when I played. Still, I liked the mechanics of the game quite a bit. But the trailers for Destiny 2 did almost nothing for me especially after I learned about Marty O'Donnell leaving.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

All it needed was to get rid of the damn raids or make them easier.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
All it needed was to get rid of the damn raids or make them easier.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Nowyn
Dread Lord

I wouldnt say make them easier as much as fix some of the bugs that made some of the raids not even worth doing. Leviathan I'm looking at you.
Nowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Activision said in its third quarter earning calls today that it is "not performing as well as we'd like."

Hence they give the base game away for free, so they can scrub the toilet for a few more xpac buyers, lol. The series is just a boring, generic shooter #157932. Moving along...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber

To be honest, I love this game. I don't yet own Forsaken, but that's because I haven't yet gotten through Warmind. Hell, I just finished the Curse of Osiris, which was awesome.

I will pick up Forsaken for sure.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I loved base D2 but the two subsequent expansions were horrible. Forsaken is supposed ot be good but I had little incentive knowing that RDR2 was about to come out right after. I might dive back in during a lull.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I believe Forsaken is now on sale this weekend (possibly beyond?) too.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have Forsaken and I never finished the single player campaign. The problem here is that what they offered is just more of the exact same thing that they have been offering since Destiny 1.

They don’t really have much in the way of new enemies, what Forsaken offered was mostly re-skins of current enemies and the plot was just kind of dull — hunt down a bunch of mini-bosses. Ho Hum.

You can’t just keep doing the same thing again and again and again. Single player first-person shooters are traditionally mostly about the set pieces. Interesting levels and creative enemies. Destiny has gotten into a rut where they think that they can just crank out another semi-forest area or another semi-rocky moon area and populate it with the same enemies we have seen since Destiny 1 and people will buy it.

They still have never fixed the problem that most of Destiny 2’s weapons and armor designs suck. I’m not grinding for gear unless the gear looks cool and I have yet to see anything in Destiny 2 for armor that I really want to have. Contrast that with Anthem where you see that N7 armor and you are instantly like “I want that!”. Bungie is using the same woman for their armor designs that they have used since the game launched and she sucks.

Boring levels, lame armor and the same enemies we have been playing against since Destiny 1 just isn’t enough to cut it at this point.

The gameplay is still decent, the weapons mostly decent (except the bow, that thing is just dumb and worthless) and the idea is still sound, but it really needs an infusion of creativity in the level design department. I want to explore sunken ruins, derelict spaceships, ancient alien monoliths on a melting asteroid... I don’t want to just walk through the same barren landscape I’ve been seeing for 5+ years now killing the same enemies.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

They keep screwing over people who actually pay them. Oh, you just bought the game for $40? Hah! We're giving it away! Now you purchased the first two DLCs? We're giving that away in foresaken! Oh and now you want foresaken? $40 more please. Game is smooth and fun mostly, but it ain't THAT good.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
They keep screwing over people who actually pay them. Oh, you just bought the game for $40? Hah! We're giving it away! Now you purchased the first two DLCs? We're giving that away in foresaken! Oh and now you want foresaken? $40 more please. Game is smooth and fun mostly, but it ain't THAT good.
The gun play feels good, much like Destiny 1. The actual game design of both titles however is outright horrible, grindy, repetitive and boring.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #15
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
The gun play feels good, much like Destiny 1. The actual game design of both titles however is outright horrible, grindy, repetitive and boring.
Agreed it's repetitive. It's not a game you can play for any significant length of time. You pick it up and put it down. Which is hard to do with those miserable load times. It's barely a $40 game and if I picked up Foresaken, it would be a $120 investment for me. Some friends are playing Foresaken and are enjoying it, but I can't see dropping any more money on this thing. Too many other, better games out there for less $$$$.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 11-10-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Agreed it's repetitive. It's not a game you can't play for any significant length of time. You pick it up and put it down. Which is hard to do with those miserable load times. It's barely a $40 game and if I picked up Foresaken, it would be a $120 investment for me. Some friends are playing Foresaken and are enjoying it, but I can't see dropping any more money on this thing. Too many other, better games out there for less $$$$.
Yeah you certainly hit the nail on the head here. Really I haven't been buying any games at all lately. I have over 600 hours in Battletech with new content coming at the end of this month, another expansion summer 2019 and a 3rd expansion that they don't have the details for yet. If you like turn based strategy games and have any like of Battletech or Mechwarrior check it out.

The devs are great on content pushes and bug fixes, the game was unpolished at launch but now it's pretty solid in terms of running well without memory leaks etc.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

A lot of Destiny 2 bashing in here, game was above average when it came out but exponentially better with Foresaken. For those who say they didn't even finish the new story in Foresaken didn't even come close to what it offers. If its not for you, its not for you. I think the game is amazing and even though I still miss some Desiny 1, Destiny 2 is still the most balanced multiplayer there is out there. CoD and others are a joke to the crucible. Halo, definitely a joke. I would like to see a large scale mode like some of the battlefields or battlefronts though. And if you cry about the Raid being too hard... get better lol.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am disappointed in the all-in cost of Destiny 2 which is why I haven't bought Forsaken.

They fucked people with the content with Destiny 1, the Iron King or whatever debacle and all the content overlaps and bullshit and I would have expected them to learn from that experience however it seems they've decided to double-dip significantly against their most ardent supporters yet again by requiring another nearly full price purchase.

After the extremely anemic content of Osiris, the lack of progress against any of the hot button issues since launch, and almost no improved or buffed content since launch (why bother having a season pass again?), I haven't bothered to go back to the game and I'm sure not interested in paying Bungie another $50 for the privilege.

A halfway decent game but certainly not great enough for that. Next time I will know not only will Bungie not learn from their pricing fiasco but they'll also give away the game for free when it all underperforms because they try (and fail, apparently) to bend over the audience and milk them for as much money as possible.

So I can just wait them out till Destiny 3 or whatever underperforms then pick it up for free and get the expansion pack to get everything for what it should have all probably cost in the first place.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
A lot of Destiny 2 bashing in here, game was above average when it came out but exponentially better with Foresaken. For those who say they didn't even finish the new story in Foresaken didn't even come close to what it offers. If its not for you, its not for you. I think the game is amazing and even though I still miss some Desiny 1, Destiny 2 is still the most balanced multiplayer there is out there. CoD and others are a joke to the crucible. Halo, definitely a joke. I would like to see a large scale mode like some of the battlefields or battlefronts though. And if you cry about the Raid being too hard... get better lol.
Hey I am enjoying Destiny 2 as much as the next person (probably a bit more actually, quite enjoying it). But to say the crucible is balanced? I just have to flat out disagree. No game lacking servers, any kind of skill based or rank based matchmaking, and single/team queue just cannot be balanced by definition.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Yeah you certainly hit the nail on the head here. Really I haven't been buying any games at all lately. I have over 600 hours in Battletech with new content coming at the end of this month, another expansion summer 2019 and a 3rd expansion that they don't have the details for yet. If you like turn based strategy games and have any like of Battletech or Mechwarrior check it out.

The devs are great on content pushes and bug fixes, the game was unpolished at launch but now it's pretty solid in terms of running well without memory leaks etc.
I'll check it out man, I havent played a really good RTS in years.

OH, have have you heard of Ion Maiden? It's ^#$^ awesome. Spent the day playing that. 3D Realms game that plays like a smoother Duke Nukem 3D. It's already a better shooter than Destiny 2

Tags
destiny 2 forsaken