Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 09:55 PM
17 Replies, 1,523 Views

Old 05-15-2018, 02:18 AM   #21
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Part of the problem is when these guys try to brand themselves. they never do it in a way that makes me think, oh man, what's he going to do next?
Romero couldn't do it, Molyneux couldn't do it, Garriott almost did it to the comicon crowd but didn't do it.. they're not rockstars no matter how desperately they want to be.
Then you go and pick one of the worst monikers in the industry.. oof. You can't go by a name that people don't want to type much less say out loud. Imagine being his assistant.
"Um, Mr. CliffyB, you have a call on.. uhh.. sir.. Mr. CliffyB? Yeah, sorry to interrupt, but you have a call on line two. It's Lord British."
Fuck that.
It really doesn't matter what you think though. It gets them media coverage and investors. Branding yourself is definitely effective and can help you a lot.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:11 AM   #22
steved
Evil Dead

I dont get the hate either. Maybe because I don't follow social media much.

Unreal brought fresh ideas into the genre at it's time, and so did Gears. Didn't it basically invent the cover shooter mechanic? Add to that coop play, revive coop partner etc

Of course I can't say how much of this was his influence or done by other members of the team.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #23
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I kind of understand why you would want to resurrect UT today. I usually love Blizzard but I just don’t really like Overwatch all that much. It flat out made me heaven back to the days of UT and obviously CliffyB thought there was a market in that nostalgia. But i guess people like me are in the minority or (also like me) getting too old and tired to game as much as we used to and just don’t spend as much cash on games.
But once all is said and done, he may have been an ass but I almost never like seeing a dev go under.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #24
Cranium
Reaper

Fortnite's changed this genre. Quake Champions doesn't stand much more of a chance than this one I think, too late to retrofit towards battle royale I'd think. I met Cliffy at a 90's The Frag event once. He was a nice guy with attitude but without airs then, haven't seen or followed him much since but I always had a level of respect for the guy. Good early level designer, highly apt game designer. Might have invented the cover-attached shooter with Gears, not that I like the genre much, but the market sure did for a number of years thereafter.

Not a position of endurance, lead design for videogames. Imo, if you get to make a (Marky) mark you do so mainly because the timing of your ideas was right (luck or otherwise becomes an existential question). You had your finger on the pulse of the times, you knew the right people (Sweeney, duh) and you had the dedication to carry it through, for whatever duration, until the paradigm shifts enough that whatever subsets of your core concepts that still remain are no longer game changers. For better of worse, there are no …dith Piafs of game design, the field evolves too quickly.

Last edited by Cranium; 05-15-2018 at 07:22 AM..
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #25
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
For better of worse, there are no …dith Piafs of game design, the field evolves too quickly.
I often wonder if gamers, specifically, are just very fickle or if everyone is fickle but it becomes much more apparent with gamers.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
Nighthawk
Evil Dead

Living in the Triangle I have mixed feelings on Cliffy. I have Epic friends who said he was a huge dick. At the same time he has invested in the community by doing some cool stuff, like opening the Raleigh Beer Garden, which has a Guiness World Record for most beer taps at 366! I've followed him on social media and on the one hand he does kind of flash around his money and what he does with it, its also cool to see behind the scenes somewhat. I don't think he deserves all the hate he gets, but I totally understand why he gets the amount of hate he does.

Still, I don't think it was necessary Evil.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #27
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I often wonder if gamers, specifically, are just very fickle or if everyone is fickle but it becomes much more apparent with gamers.
Nah you guys just either weren't there or forgot how much of an asshole he is. Oh he's great in the official capacity in the spotlight. Dude's an asshole underneath plain and simple.

He helped make jazz jack rabbit and the unreal series the only games I considered fun that he's done. He made the over the shoulder camera standard that I give him props for. That's not fickle I remember and my memory is long. Hell he used to post here. How many of ya remember that?

He's the kind of guy that thinks we're fucking crazy for not sucking his dick because he whipped it out there.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
Xqa
Reaper

I havent bothered to follow most of games hes been involved in since they stopped being my cup of tea but when i met him years ago testing unreal 2, the dude took the time to stop and talk to QA folks while visiting the studio. I mean sit down and shoot the shit and get to know us. Maybe it was all just an act but I never saw any other sorta famous, gave dev/designer person do that in the time i spent at Atari.

Times change, people change. Ohwell.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #29
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I was going to say Cliffy's flamboyant personality was a thing of the past, however...

Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #30
ashikenshin
Subscriber

wasn't he buddy buddy with Anita Sarkeesian?
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #31
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

The funny thing is that one of the complaints I see levied against Lawbreakers is that the cast of characters was too bland. So if he was really trying to be diverse, I guess it sort of backfired.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #32
Booda
Beam another Blast

I still laugh my ass off when I'm reminded of CliffyB touting about gender neutral bathrooms in his game like it was a fucking feature.

#MeToo Studios was just a complete disaster from start to finish.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #33
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I have Epic friends who said he was a huge dick.
His ex-wife would most likely agree, figuratively speaking. Go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I don't think his success was luck like Terran is saying
Talent doesn't run out. Luck does.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I hope he makes a comeback with Jazz Jackrabbit Battle Royale!!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #35
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I know him. I remember the first time I met him and he introduced himself I said "Yep! I know, it's a pleasure to meet you!" he said "I still like to introduce myself, if I don't people think I'm an asshole. I start to think I'm an asshole."

Yes he has a flamboyant public persona. Yes he drove around in a grotesque green lambo. No he didn't get fired from Epic.

But he is also (mostly) genuine in his love for games, the industry, and the people who play the games. In the time I knew him and all the times he went to Comic-cons and presented at E3s (and I sat around with him in a lot of greenrooms which is actually super boring) he rarely scripted what he said. He'd have bullet points but he rarely needed the teleprompters.

He loves his attention, most people do though some, like Peter Molynoux and Tim Shaffer seem like they can barely tolerate us, but of the fancy pants "names" I've worked with over the course of 20 years in games, Cliff may be the one who was most like a regular gamer living the dream.

At least till Bosskey. I sort of lost track of him after the Gears of War days went by...

It's sad to see him lose this venture and the people lose their jobs but the good ones will go to Epic and the others will land somewhere, I'm sure. Insomniac has offices there as does Red Storm and there's other tech companies in the Triangle for people not great at games development.

Life goes on and Lawbreakers and whatever "me too!" BR clone he was trying to make weren't doing it. Gamers need more these days, or less as minecraft shows us.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #36
ZAX
Lord

Met and talked with him several times in a professional capacity, including in Raleigh. Complete piece of shit. I want you to imagine the most pathetic, insecure kid you knew in 7th grade who tried so laughably hard to be cool (like Seth Green's character in Can't Hardly Wait). Now imagine that kid never growing out of it, like most did by college age, and making it to 27 the same insecure blowhard who bros out and throws devil horns because rock & roll. I wanted to punch this guy the minute I met him and in every interaction since. Fake as all hell, tries way too hard, drips with insecurity, and deserves everything befalling him.

Last edited by ZAX; 05-15-2018 at 06:38 PM..
ZAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #37
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAX View Post
Met and talked with him several times in a professional capacity, including in Raleigh. Complete piece of shit. I want you to imagine the most pathetic, insecure kid you knew in 7th grade who tried so laughably hard to be cool (like Seth Green's character in Can't Hardly Wait). Now imagine that kid never growing out of it, like most did by college age, and making it to 27 the same insecure blowhard who bros out and throws devil horns because rock & roll. I wanted to punch this guy the minute I met him and in every interaction since. Fake as all hell, tries way too hard, drips of insecurity, and deserves everything befalling him.
He was made for G4tv. Remember that abomination? No. Neither does anyone else. And soon CliffyB will be forgotten along with it. (Makes sense he appeared on their shows quite a few times.)
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #38
Cranium
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I don't think it was necessary Evil.
If Evil didn't act evil from time to time he'd have to change the name of the site. He's just being lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Tell that to Crazy Legs of The Rock Steady Crew.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #39
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

Send the douche canoe down shit creek. I wish him happiness.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #40
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Yes, because talented people always generate hits 100% of the time.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idiot asshole, lawbreakers, radical heights