Last post by MacDuff
Yesterday 09:58 PM
27 Replies, 2,006 Views

Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pet Sematary Remake Trailer #PetSematary

Quote:
Based on the seminal horror novel by Stephen King, Pet Sematary follows Dr. Louis Creed (Jason Clarke), who, after relocating with his wife Rachel (Amy Seimetz) and their two young children from Boston to rural Maine, discovers a mysterious burial ground hidden deep in the woods near the family’s new home. When tragedy strikes, Louis turns to his unusual neighbor, Jud Crandall (John Lithgow), setting off a perilous chain reaction that unleashes an unfathomable evil with horrific consequences.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

This trend of remaking old movies needs to stop. Simply no reason we needed this movie done over...
Old 10-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalekFekete View Post

This trend of remaking old movies needs to stop. Simply no reason we needed this movie done over...
It ain't really a remake, mainly because it's another movie based on the same source material.

The '89 film hasn't aged very well at all, so I don't mind seeing a new version.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It ain't really a remake, mainly because it's another movie based on the same source material.

The '89 film hasn't aged very well at all, so I don't mind seeing a new version.
Well, it is a remake because they already made this movie once. That's kind of the definition of a remake.

That said, the bigger question is "Why bother?" Of all of King's stories, this one just isn't that great. Unless you are a parent, the central theme of the entire story has no weight. It all hinges on the parental paranoia that you have that something will happen to your kids. Every parent has that to some degree and it's probably greatest when your kids are young.

This book came out I think when I was in my 20's, so the story just meant nothing to me. Without that parental paranoia it's just a story with a creepy kid and an annoying ghost and not even a very good story with a creepy kid and an annoying ghost. As an adult who no longer has small children, I see the story as just another trite Hollywood "child in danger" story. It's kinda lose/lose. There is only a short period in your life where this story hits home. Before and after that, it's just a slow-moving book with bad characters.

King has much better properties out there. He has an absolute mountain of short stories that would make better movies. If they have to do a remake, lets see someone really do something with Trucks (ie, Maximum Overdrive). That's a story that would be a lot of fun updated. Imagine George Miller directing Trucks.

Or how about The Jaunt. That is probably one of King's more scary properties.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Well, it is a remake because they already made this movie once. That's kind of the definition of a remake.
This would be like calling Tim Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a remake. It wasn't, and neither is this.

It shares the same source material, though.

Quote:
That said, the bigger question is "Why bother?" Of all of King's stories, this one just isn't that great. Unless you are a parent, the central theme of the entire story has no weight. It all hinges on the parental paranoia that you have that something will happen to your kids. Every parent has that to some degree and it's probably greatest when your kids are young.

This book came out I think when I was in my 20's, so the story just meant nothing to me. Without that parental paranoia it's just a story with a creepy kid and an annoying ghost and not even a very good story with a creepy kid and an annoying ghost. As an adult who no longer has small children, I see the story as just another trite Hollywood "child in danger" story. It's kinda lose/lose. There is only a short period in your life where this story hits home. Before and after that, it's just a slow-moving book with bad characters.
It's getting a new version because it's one of his best known stories.

Quote:
King has much better properties out there. He has an absolute mountain of short stories that would make better movies. If they have to do a remake, lets see someone really do something with Trucks (ie, Maximum Overdrive). That's a story that would be a lot of fun updated. Imagine George Miller directing Trucks.

Or how about The Jaunt. That is probably one of King's more scary properties.
Something tells me we won't see Maximum Overdrive ever again, although he does make fun of it from.time to time.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Does this mean I get to see Gage get hit by a semi again? That shit broke me when I was young.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Does this mean I get to see Gage get hit by a semi again? That shit broke me when I was young.
I never made it past that scene when I saw it on TV a while back and that was before I had my sons. Bothered the heck out of me and it's the single biggest reason why this version is still a hard "no way" for me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
EGO
Evil Dead

It makes sense to remake. Just because YOU are an old fart and have seen something, doesn't mean a new generation has seen it, know of it, or give a shit to look past all the things in the old version.

Some movies don't need "remakes" or "updates", some can benefit.

I don't think Pet Sematary is unwatchable, but I don't think it has aged well, but the source material is fine.

And I saw it LONG BEFORE I was a parent and the shit was scary (back then). The entire narrative some people have built in their heads that this story only resonates with "parents" is a farce. That's like saying Cujo only resonates with dog owners.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
This would be like calling Tim Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a remake. It wasn't, and neither is this.
It's a remake, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I read this back in 1995... The scene with the casket wrecked me to my core. It was the first time I actually felt a pit in my stomach from reading a book. Say what you will of Stephen King, but this book is able to force upon the reader the despair and hopelessness that the characters feel so well to make the decisions that are made believable.

I just had a son in May, and thinking of that scene makes me feel sick. Is that normal? Being a parent opens the door to so many new feelings. Not all of them would be what I would describe as good, but I wouldn't trade it.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It's a new adaptation of the book, not a remake of the old movie. There's a difference, in large part because they can wholly ignore the approaches taken in the first movie.

New movie, same book as the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Oh, yeah. Kid's gonna get crushed.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
New movie, same book as the source.
Same story, remake.
Quote:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
That said, the bigger question is "Why bother?" Of all of King's stories, this one just isn't that great.
This is all that needs to be said. Thread closed.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #15
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I'm a huge 80s fan of Stephen King...and even I think this book was one of his weakest... I have no desire to see this...
Old 10-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #16
actusoul
Evil Dead

I am interested in a new "vision" of the source material. I read the book and the other Stephen King books. Most of the movie versions are terrible. The only one I liked was the Shining and King and Kubrick had a falling out. I would like to see a movie that will do the source material justice. Hopefully, this one will accomplish that. I encourage it.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #17
BitCrash
Death Knight

Quote:
That said, the bigger question is "Why bother?" Of all of King's stories, this one just isn't that great. Unless you are a parent, the central theme of the entire story has no weight.
totally agree - even as a parent

Didn't like the story when I read it first, tried to read it again because people are so excited about it .... NOPE
BitCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I'm a huge 80s fan of Stephen King...and even I think this book was one of his weakest... I have no desire to see this...
Same. I just look at all the other exciting stuff King has available for people to make movies out of and they always want to go back to the same well... Shining, Pet Semetary, IT, Firestarter, Hearts in Atlantis, The Stand, Tommyknockers, etc.

A shame they keep doing remakes when he has great stuff out there that hasn't been touched.

And while it is tempting to think that a Maximum Overdrive remake will not happen, I would guess that Hollywood is more likely to do a Maximum Overdrive remake than to do something original. Ha!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
A shame they keep doing remakes
It's not a remake!
Quote:
Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #20