Focus Home Interactive...
Last post by Apex
Yesterday 05:46 AM
2 Replies, 315 Views

Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

2002 PT Cruiser Died

The timing belt in my Sonís PT Cruiser died, taking the heads with it. Itís going to cost like $3000 to fix and finding places to get cars fixed hat arenít shady as al heck is alimst impssobie. If you know a good regular mechanic in the area around 51st and Cactus (west valley) let me know. I would like to have at least one real mechanics take a look at it before we just sell it for parts.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The timing belt in my Sonís PT Cruiser died, taking the heads with it. Itís going to cost like $3000 to fix and finding places to get cars fixed hat arenít shady as al heck is alimst impssobie. If you know a good regular mechanic in the area around 51st and Cactus (west valley) let me know. I would like to have at least one real mechanics take a look at it before we just sell it for parts.
It's a Chrysler, not surprising.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #3
TDiddy
Evil Dead

That car is worth like $2000 running. Don’t throw away money repairing it. Just get something else.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
That car is worth like $2000 running. Donít throw away money repairing it. Just get something else.
Yea, thatís the current line of thinking. Itís going to take a while to round up that kind of cash even with him working all the time, so I did a post on the main page if anyone wants to chip in a few bucks to help him get it faster.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

I could help if i wasn't 3K miles away.

You could get an entire drivetrain at Pull A Part for $400, i know a local shop that would do the swap for $800

BTW, that PT Cruiser has 1 head, not 2.

Id recommend a Civic. Nothing older than an 06 though. Bulletproof, good on gas, looks pretty good and is legit a good performing car when compared to other dedicated sports cars if you get the Si trim.

Or a corolla if he doesn't care about getting laid ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's a Chrysler, not surprising.
My recently developed loathing of German cars (vw kinda gets a pass) has caused me to appreciate american cars more than i used to. Dodges are a bit janky but at least they are honest. And at least Dodge doesn't blame the owner of the car when it breaks down like the Germans do.

Oh please BMW, do tell me how ive misused or abused a freaking coil pack or fuel pump when they go out every 30K miles.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

He is lucky, at least he can go back to working at home for a while till he can round up some cash for the replacement car, but I know he will be going a bit stir-crazy after being able to get out every week to play Magic and go out to lunch and see his friends.

I totally agree that the car just isn’t worth putting much money into it, so we are looking at trying to round up money for a new car. I saw a couple of excellent deals on Craigslist (which we can’t buy today, but at least you know good stuff is out there).

It’s hard to find cars locally that don’t have 150,000 miles on them. The weather is so good here that people keep their cars for a long time. They don’t rust here at all. Mostly what you have to worry about is the heat trashes all the plastics.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Off topic: I call the PT Cruiser the Midget Hearse.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

It’s hard to find cars locally that don’t have 150,000 miles on them. The weather is so good here that people keep their cars for a long time. They don’t rust here at all. Mostly what you have to worry about is the heat trashes all the plastics.
Facebook marketplace is a good to. Plus you get to get a look at the seller in most cases.

150k miles isnt really a big deal anymore. Don't let it be a deal breaker if the car your looking at has been taken care of.

I bought my 2010 Honda Insight with 208K on it 3 years ago, $3200, for a 6 year old car lol.

It now has 340K miles and has never broken down, at all.....i did put a battery in it once. I changed the oil every 10K and the tranny fluid every 30K. It still runs great but i hit a deer a while back so im going to have it totaled, the check will be $2200 after deduction.

So at the end of the day $1000 is what i spent to drive 140K trouble free miles

This is why i stick with my Hondas