Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 05:02 PM
6 Replies, 302 Views

Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

id Software Crunched "Most of Last Year" to hit Delayed Doom Eternal Date

Quote:
Doom Eternal wouldn’t be the same game without it being delayed, according to executive producer Marty Stratton.

Speaking to VG247, Stratton explained that the team at id Software were working long hours in the lead up to the delay, and that pushing Doom Eternal back has let the team get the game up to the level of quality they feel their effort deserves.

“I say it’s the best game we’ve ever made. I don’t think I’d say that if we didn’t have that extra time,” Stratton said.

“The game was done, we haven’t added anything but what [the delay] allowed us to do was fix a tonne more bugs.

“It allowed us to do a lot of polishing, hardening of the back-end systems and we do testing throughout where we bring in people externally. We did a couple of additional versions of those and made a couple of additions to the game, just balance-type things and patching up a couple of exploits.”

Developer crunch has been a big discussion topic over the last couple of years, with heavy criticism aimed at many triple-A developers for fostering cultures of expected overtime at the expense of staff well being.

Stratton said that while the id studio leadership try to encourage developers to take the time they need, many choose to work late, and some amount of crunch is necessary.

We were crunching pretty hard most of last year. It goes in phases,” Stratton explained.
VG247.

I'm totally willing to sacrifice the health and well being of people I don't know to get the game I want. Totally.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I understan the need of crunch time, but for a full year?... those poor devs must be destroyed.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Some Anthem devs had mental breakdowns and needed months to recover ...

As many people said before... "managers think you can deliver a baby in one month if there are 9 women on it" :P
Old 01-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I'm glad that the game was delayed. it's amazing to finish something... but then return to 'perfect' that amazing thing that you've created. You gain that extra bit of pride, despite wanting it to simply end.

Now... TT needs to release more patches for their Lego games. It gets REALLY annoying when their games crash to desktop over and over again.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
we do testing throughout where we bring in people externally.
i.e. third-party contractors hiring teenagers.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

So, I'm currently on day 21 without a day off. Yes, it's because of a major issue at work, but it's bullshit.

I'm close to quitting.

Just have to find another job first.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
So, I'm currently on day 21 without a day off. Yes, it's because of a major issue at work, but it's bullshit.

I'm close to quitting.

Just have to find another job first.
Europe has max hours per week... anything above COST A LOT...

In Bank Of America IT. I had to work ALWAY every 1st and 15th of the month.

Normally 8 hours each day... every extra hour was overtime and if it was Holidays or Weekend I has paid 3x times per hour (first job ever :P)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
Some Anthem devs had mental breakdowns and needed months to recover ...

As many people said before... "managers think you can deliver a baby in one month if there are 9 women on it" :P
Just imagine the crunch at CIG. *snicker* Oh wait the game is never going to ship.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
ascl
Developer

This is disappointing. It isn't like the studio is desperate for cash, and it's more or less a given the title will make money. I'm fine with delays, delay it till it's ready, but those poor devs. A year of crunch is harsh. I have no issues with asking my team to work outside of normal hours when it is required, but only if I'm doing it as well, and there is a major issue that needs to be resolved ASAP. I can think of maybe 3 occasions in the last year that have required it for some portion of the team. Never the whole team and that is 2-3 more than I'd like.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post
This is disappointing. It isn't like the studio is desperate for cash, and it's more or less a given the title will make money. I'm fine with delays, delay it till it's ready, but those poor devs. A year of crunch is harsh. I have no issues with asking my team to work outside of normal hours when it is required, but only if I'm doing it as well, and there is a major issue that needs to be resolved ASAP. I can think of maybe 3 occasions in the last year that have required it for some portion of the team. Never the whole team and that is 2-3 more than I'd like.
Often these issues arise when someone without a clue of what it takes to make a game gets to set the date (which is to say, practically always) and then the people actually working on the game are forced to get the game done on time "or else". Consumers generally don't help the issue as the majority of them don't give two fucks about how overworked the people making the game are and will go on social media the second a delay is announced and also if the game makes it on time but is full of bugs because the team wasn't given enough time to fix things. Add to that the now all too common "betas" which generally aren't intended to actually fix anything, just increase pre-orders, and watch as the devs pull their hair out when you have droves of people raging and foaming at the mouth when they feel wronged because the bugs they reported 3 days ago made it into the final game because hey, that's plenty of time to fix bugs right?. /facepalm
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Often these issues arise when someone without a clue of what it takes to make a game gets to set the date (which is to say, practically always) and then the people actually working on the game are forced to get the game done on time "or else". Consumers generally don't help the issue as the majority of them don't give two fucks about how overworked the people making the game are and will go on social media the second a delay is announced and also if the game makes it on time but is full of bugs because the team wasn't given enough time to fix things. Add to that the now all too common "betas" which generally aren't intended to actually fix anything, just increase pre-orders, and watch as the devs pull their hair out when you have droves of people raging and foaming at the mouth when they feel wronged because the bugs they reported 3 days ago made it into the final game because hey, that's plenty of time to fix bugs right?. /facepalm
This happens, but probably not nearly as often as you might think.

In my experience, developers are ridiculously optimistic. That's part of the reason we can do what we do. We don't think "that can't be done." We think "yeah, we could totally do that."

The problem is that this leaks into estimation.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post
Right. This is reasonable. An emergency requires special treatment.

Working overtime for a year is not an emergency. That's just over-optimism, overreach, really bad planning, and many people who could do something about it just refusing to face the truth.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Yea, I had to work 6 days this week and a couple of those were 10.5 hour days. Big pain in the butt. I feel for these people, though let's be fair, most of them make a lot of money so it kinda goes with the paycheck.

I'm so glad that I got out to see the movie on Monday, because I ended up working that night.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I feel for these people, though let's be fair, most of them make a lot of money so it kinda goes with the paycheck.
You'd be surprised. Game developers get fucked on salary because they have the (dubious) honor of working on video games. Very few are actually keeping ahead of the economy if they are working in one of America video game hubs and even a much smaller fraction than that are going to see big bucks, maybe half a %.

When I worked in medical the money was way better. People can fall out of college with their CS degree into a $175k/year salary working in finance which is about what a Technical Director, someone with a decade of experience under their belt, would likely make in games.

When I was young, I was proud of how much I crunched. Now that I am a manager, I consider it a fail if people on my team crunch.

About 10 years ago I was "broken" by an extended crunch and I don't think I recovered.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #15
RAV
Evil Dead

I heard that again and again, that people with CS degree make more money, have a higher quality of life, by going into any other field than the games industry. A friend of mine who considered breaking into the industry after his modding years, rather decided to go into security instead. He made more money in his first year than the directors in Blizzard. Work is just as interesting. He also told me that another upside of working in security is that you don't have to deal with liberal douchebags, since the standards for personnel must be higher and you can't afford risks with mentally ill people. I always dream about making some game, but I would never go into the games industry for a living, and I stay far away from indie games communities.

I crunched pretty hard on personal projects at times. When you are on your own trying to start something up, it's hard, it's all on you, all the risk and reward, and to get anything going you gotta put more effort into it than any regular person would. I would never do that as a simple employee though. Fuck that.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #16
Antdude
Evil Dead

It's like the industry learned absolutely nothing from the @easpouse debacle. All these years later, nothing has changed.
Antdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Often these issues arise when someone without a clue of what it takes to make a game gets to set the date (which is to say, practically always) and then the people actually working on the game are forced to get the game done on time "or else".
On the other side of the coin, we've seen the effects of a lack of accountability and fluid deadlines; it almost always turns into a situation of vaporware. At the end of the day, they're working on a product intended to be sold, and someone has to make the decision on when it needs to make it to market.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
ascl
Developer

Quote:
In my experience, developers are ridiculously optimistic. That's part of the reason we can do what we do. We don't think "that can't be done." We think "yeah, we could totally do that."
Quote:
On the other side of the coin, we've seen the effects of a lack of accountability and fluid deadlines; it almost always turns into a situation of vaporware. At the end of the day, they're working on a product intended to be sold, and someone has to make the decision on when it needs to make it to market.
Both of these statements are very true, however that is the job of the leaders, to find the balance between crunch and no deadlines that works. An extended crunch is exploitation and a failure of leadership/planning IMHO. And, as someone else mentioned, jobs in gaming are sought after, which makes them an easy target to underpay and overwork.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
stalazon
The Dit

If you don't like the hours vs pay, quit.
stalazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 AM   #20
Cranium
Reaper

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows