Last post by Juan
Today 03:39 AM
17 Replies, 670 Views

Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #41
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Then you're not playing the right games. There are plenty of terrible restaurants, but I don't claim that they're all crap just because many/most of them are. I eat at the good ones.

Since you said your device can run any game out there, start out with Mortal Kombat X. You won't be disappointed. It's gorgeous to look at, a lot of fun, and F2P done right. You don't need to spend a dime to get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and it doesn't feel like content is behind a paywall.

If you say that game is shit, you're a liar. It's not. There are others beyond that. Some of them are mobile versions of previously released console or PC titles, but there are solid mobile-only titles. You just need to be selective and have an open mind.

It is. Its one redeeming feature is that you can look up a topic there and use the footnotes for potentially legitimate research. Other than that, it's basically illegitimate anecdote.

Mobile gaming is 99.9% complete shit and the .1% is still mostly lame non games that are mildly entertaining for 5 minutes. There has never been a truly great videogame on a mobile phone, without the controls it can't be done. Nintendo know that their games rely on precise controls and that's why you will never see a mario platformer on ios or android.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #42
Juan
Evil Dead

^^^ above i'm making the distinction between mobile (phone) and portable (3ds etc)
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #43
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Mobile gaming is 99.9% complete shit and the .1% is still mostly lame non games that are mildly entertaining for 5 minutes. There has never been a truly great videogame on a mobile phone, without the controls it can't be done. .
The whole 'mobile gaming is shit' argument is worn out and worthless. 99.9% of fast food is shit, but I don't have the time or money to eat at all of them, so I DO NOT CARE. I eat at the ones that are good, just like I spend my time and money on the few good mobile games.

Also, there is currently a great videogame on a mobile phone, and I've been talking it up. Mortal Kombat X. I am that impressed by it. Controls work great ON MY PHONE. Fun, engaging, competitive, and F2P done right.

That's just one example. There are others.

Get used to it. Mobile (tablet, phone) gaming is here to stay, and it's going to dwarf dedicated handhelds, which will become a niche market in a gen or two, if not sooner.

Edit: The whole 'mobile is crap' argument is no different than the whole 'console owners are retards who can't figure out a PC' or 'PC gamers are elitist pricks' arrogance and ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied

Last edited by Terran; 09-28-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #44
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Something like this helps a LOT:

I'm pretty sure I could not have gotten in all the time I have spent on the Vita without it.
You really should try a cheaper set, like this one:

I've tried different ones, like the one in your picture, but they are meant to resemble a controller, and you NEVER look straight at your controller. With this one, that's not an issue, and it's less than 4 euros!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #45
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:

Edit: The whole 'mobile is crap' argument is no different than the whole 'console owners are retards who can't figure out a PC' or 'PC gamers are elitist pricks' arrogance and ignorance.
NO, mobile is indeed crap. The interface of all these games depends on you covering some part of the screen with your sweaty fingers and leaving marks on the screen. They are unresponsive and not worth the time for people who are used to real games. Yeah they might be a neat thing to pass the time while you are waiting in line at the DMV but they are not something that will replace gaming on a dedicated console. At no point in time you are sitting in front of the TV with the PS4 on and decide to play a mobile game instead.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #46
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
NO, mobile is indeed crap....At no point in time you are sitting in front of the TV with the PS4 on and decide to play a mobile game instead.
Incorrect and indeed incorrect.

In fact, your argument boils down to 'console owners are retards, nyah nyah;' or 'Only children like Nintendo hardware;' or 'PC gamers are elitists!'

I find it hilarious how many supposed gamers have an obvious nosebleed from climbing so high up their own gamer mountain. Enjoy the view while the unwashed masses enjoy games wherever the hell they want to play them, whether on a phone, tablet, dedicated handheld, PC, or console. LOL.
Quote:
Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #47
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
NO, mobile is indeed crap. The interface of all these games depends on you covering some part of the screen with your sweaty fingers and leaving marks on the screen. They are unresponsive and not worth the time for people who are used to real games. Yeah they might be a neat thing to pass the time while you are waiting in line at the DMV but they are not something that will replace gaming on a dedicated console. At no point in time you are sitting in front of the TV with the PS4 on and decide to play a mobile game instead.
Even if you are 100% correct, it won't matter. "Good enough" is what people want. Are you still sporting an Ipod or portable CD player? Looks at the product categories that cell phones have already destroyed and tell me with a straight face that hand held games aren't next on the chopping block. It's already happening now and nothing you wish will change it back.

Phones beat dedicated handhelds in software price, convenience, performance and connectivity. Dedicated hand helds have better controls. Is that enough to sustain a dedicated hand held? I doubt it.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #48
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Even if you are 100% correct, it won't matter. "Good enough" is what people want. Are you still sporting an Ipod or portable CD player? Looks at the product categories that cell phones have already destroyed and tell me with a straight face that hand held games aren't next on the chopping block. It's already happening now and nothing you wish will change it back.

Phones beat dedicated handhelds in software price, convenience, performance and connectivity. Dedicated hand helds have better controls. Is that enough to sustain a dedicated hand held? I doubt it.
I think you all are still missing the point. Yes, the potential and consumer base is much higher on a mobile device, however almost no mobile games are meant for a deep video game experience. They're time wasters meant for 5-20 minute clips. They're just on ubiquitous devices that many many more people have and have access to.

This does NOT negate the need or demand for a dedicated handheld market. Not yet anyway. The gap is not bridged.

If i want to waste 10 minutes on a Candy Crush type game, i'll grab my phone. If I want to sit up in a hotel room on a business trip and spend 2 hours of the evening getting into a deep RPG, I'd grab a 3DS or Vita.

Those distinctions are big enough to keep a market right now. 53 million units sold merits the effort. Maybe that'll change down the road, but one of two things would be required for that.

1. Almost all gamers shifting to and being okay with just shallow gaming experience.
2. Advancements in hardware and design that allow for deep, full video game experience and controlling on a mobile device out of the box, and mobile games to be developed that way. (It's not JUST about controls. Mobile games also have to be developed to be deeper, richer experiences then they are.)

The market is still there right now for someone. (probably Nintendo for at least 1 more generation)

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #49
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It's not JUST about controls. Mobile games also have to be developed to be deeper, richer experiences then they are.
yup yup yup, right now they are just freemium games trying hard to justify why you need to spend a dollar on whatever p2w upgrade they are selling. It's not that you want to give them money for being a great gaming experience but that you don't want to deal with waiting for a week for the next upgrade so you pay them to not deal with that hassle.

Rich gaming experience on a phone? not there yet.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #50
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Incorrect and indeed incorrect.

In fact, your argument boils down to 'console owners are retards, nyah nyah;' or 'Only children like Nintendo hardware;' or 'PC gamers are elitists!'

I find it hilarious how many supposed gamers have an obvious nosebleed from climbing so high up their own gamer mountain. Enjoy the view while the unwashed masses enjoy games wherever the hell they want to play them, whether on a phone, tablet, dedicated handheld, PC, or console. LOL.
Nobody is keeping you from enjoying whatever you may consider cheap gamer Mr. Sub 20 dollar gamer man. But saying these games equate fun for us long time gamers is hilarious. Meh
Old 09-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #51
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Then you're not playing the right games. There are plenty of terrible restaurants, but I don't claim that they're all crap just because many/most of them are. I eat at the good ones.

Since you said your device can run any game out there, start out with Mortal Kombat X. You won't be disappointed. It's gorgeous to look at, a lot of fun, and F2P done right. You don't need to spend a dime to get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and it doesn't feel like content is behind a paywall.
I...can play that already on my Vita via remote play. The real game. :/

Also I lied, I use my Tablet for reading, manga AND VN (ports). :P
Old 09-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #52
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
But saying these games equate fun for us long time gamers is hilarious. Meh
LOL. You're the spitting image of the elitist I've described in my previous posts. Trying to tell other people what is fun is as pointless as trying to tell people what food is delicious or what color is best in their living room.

Also, I've been gaming for longer than you've been weaned off the baby bottle, lol, back to the dawn of gaming.
Quote:
Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #53
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
yup yup yup, right now they are just freemium games trying hard to justify why you need to spend a dollar on whatever p2w upgrade they are selling. It's not that you want to give them money for being a great gaming experience but that you don't want to deal with waiting for a week for the next upgrade so you pay them to not deal with that hassle.
None of your arguments matter. The only question is how long Nintendo will continue to support a dedicated hand held. As long as they make decent money at it, it'll continue. Once that goes away, it'll stop. It certainly seems that the market for dedicated hand helds is shrinking. At some point it'll shrink till it's not sustainable anymore and then it'll stop.

Terran and I are both (I think) suggesting it's going to be sooner than later. That the writing is on the wall. So you can argue all you want but only the numbers really matter. So, is the hand held market growing or shrinking? And what number does Nintendo need to continue?
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #54
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
LOL. You're the spitting image of the elitist I've described in my previous posts. Trying to tell other people what is fun is as pointless as trying to tell people what food is delicious or what color is best in their living room.

Also, I've been gaming for longer than you've been weaned off the baby bottle, lol, back to the dawn of gaming.
Nice job skipping the first sentence. Enjoy what you like but don't expect others to agree, since taste is subjective.

and your taste is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEET. (Prometheus)

Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #55
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
Nice job skipping the first sentence.
Your first sentence doesn't impact the stupidity of this elitist, arrogant little nugget, lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
But saying these games equate fun for us long time gamers is hilarious.
LOL@ the refined tastes of the long time elitist gamer. I can see from your profile pic what your tastes tend to, and it ain't 'quality.'
Quote:
Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #56
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
The whole 'mobile gaming is shit' argument is worn out and worthless. .
Mobile games are shit man. The ones that aren't are fun for 20 mins. It a communist form of entertainment. Its Nokia Snake updated. I hate phones games and all they stand for
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #57
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
It a communist form of entertainment
Friends, don't let friends post drunk.
Quote:
Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #58
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Friends, don't let friends post drunk.

You know, i though twice about taking that out since i am in fact not drinking, but decided to leave it in hoping someone would take it as it was meant. Ironically kinda sorta, lol.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #59
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Your first sentence doesn't impact the stupidity of this elitist, arrogant little nugget, lol:

LOL@ the refined tastes of the long time elitist gamer. I can see from your profile pic what your tastes tend to, and it ain't 'quality.'
It is a game parody, I changed it to show you how HARD core I am thou.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #60
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Also pretty childish to pick on an avatar when one is ignorant of what the image even is or even more being a pussy without one.

Where is your candy crush avatar?

(EvAv is PC as fuck so I can't post more "political incorrect" avatars)

Tags
playstation, ps vita, sony