Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 02:13 PM
18,173 Replies, 2,983,591 Views

Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Sony Stock Rises on Strong Resurgence of its Game Division

Quote:
Sony Corp. rose to its highest since November after a resurgent games division helped the Japanese conglomerate blow past quarterly results expectations, vindicating Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hiraiís growing focus on media and entertainment.

Shares climbed 1.7 percent to 3,339 yen, bringing its gains for the year to 11 percent, beating a broader market decline with the Topix dropping 15 percent in the same period.

Sony, which in years past has scaled back in businesses from phones to televisions, posted a surprise profit for the June quarter. It more than doubled operating income from the sale of PlayStations and software, a particularly optimistic signal given the companyís next marquee products havenít yet come to market.

Sony is looking to cement its lead over Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. by launching a virtual-reality headset in October in the U.S., as well as a souped-up version of the PS4 potentially before the end of the year. The twin gadgets mark Hiraiís long-term effort to dominate the industry with the PlayStation division, which he helped launch in 1994 before being tapped as CEO.
Via Bloomberg
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Anemone
Evil Dead

Hirai has come a long way since he pitched the disastrous PS3 under his boss's crazy tutelage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4
Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

The best way to play the whole video game ecosystem right now between new consoles, VR, etc. going into 4Q '17 is to buy GME stock, not SNE. Double your money with me.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

This surprised me, especially when many (including myself) thought consoles were on the way out. Good on Sony. As Valve and Blizzard have proven, getting goodwill from your fanbase pays off (literally). I don't hate Microsoft. I strongly dislike what they've done. I hope they get their act together because the bottom line is that competition breeds innovation and diversity in the marketplace is a win for consumers.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
The best way to play the whole video game ecosystem right now between new consoles, VR, etc. going into 4Q '17 is to buy GME stock, not SNE. Double your money with me.
What is up with that $20 dip from Nov 15 to Jan 16? Is it supposed to go back up? I made a couple hundred on Nintendo during the mobile announcements and am looking to fool around again.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Venkman
Evil Dead

Too bad Sony can't get their shit together in their movie division. Spin that shit off and let it die.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
...the bottom line is that competition breeds innovation and diversity in the marketplace is a win for consumers.
I know these are considered axiomatic at this point, but there are clear examples where they are untrue. For example, I'm sure many people find it frustrating how many cords/cables/chargers they have to have around for their devices because of 'diversity' in connectors from 'diverse' manufacturers. Competition is not a universal good, nor is diversity (as in numerous competing companies/entities in a market). It has negative effects as well as positive ones.

Quote:
he most striking result of the literature so far is that increasing competition through fostering entry of more firms may not on its own always improve outcomes for consumers. Indeed competition may not help when there are at least some consumers who do not search properly or have difficulties judging quality and prices Ö In the presence of such consumers it is no longer clear that firms necessarily have an incentive to compete by offering better deals. Rather, they can focus on exploiting biased consumers who are very likely to purchase from them regardless of price and quality. These effects can be made worse through firms' deliberate attempts to make price comparisons and search harder (through complex pricing, shrouding, etc) and obscure product quality. The incentives to engage in such activities become more intense when there are more competitors.
I personally would love to see MS and/or Nintendo exit gaming hardware. Put your stuff on other platforms (PC, PS, mobile).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
industry, industry news, playstation, sony