New Resident Evil 2...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 07:05 AM
0 Replies, 228 Views

Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Fortnite!

I finally took the plunge and put some time into Fortnite on Friday and Saturday.

I always liked the artwork. Itís a great replacement for Heroes of the Storm or Overwatch since it feeds that constant need for Loot Crates and items.

The menu is a train wreck. They donít explain how to do anything, how to customize anything, how to craft anything... itís just a mess straight across the board.

You start getting the hang of it after a few hours, but it has the least helpful menu systems of any game I have ever played. I donít want them totally holding my hand, but create some freaking tutorials that walk you through how the menu works already!

It is a real shame the game kinda came out and disappeared. It should have a lot bigger following than it does, itís a lot better than Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm for loot and better than Overwatch for gameplay. (Unless you are into PvP and then Fortnite is kinda lacking.)

I tried out the PUBG mode, I just donít see the appeal. You wander around for 10 minutes till you finally find someone and then have a brief 1v1 duel and itís over? If you donít die, you just repeat that again 10 minutes later??? And this is the game that everyone is all hot and bothered about? Iím not feeling it.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement in Fortnite overall, but it sure is the good beginning of a game and I hope Epic sticks with it and doesnít abandon it like they did Paragon.

Anyone else playing? Iím on the PS4. I think that if they had released this game on Steam it would have a huge following by now and probably have kicked PUBG right off the map.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I’ll add that after a day and a half of playing, I still have no idea how to customize your hero. I don’t see a menu for that anywhere. I see lots of people with what looks like custom characters, I just don’t see that option anywhere in the game. That is the kind of thing I’m talking about when I say the menu system is a train wreck. That is something that should be really easy for people to find because you know that is something people want to do right away.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

We've gone from the age of tutorials that account for a large portion of the game, where each new ability earned throughout the title earns its own tutorial section, to being dropped into esoteric titles without a manual or any information whatsoever. As Evil noted, even basic graphics menus are being hidden behind small dial buttons, like the settings drop down in Chrome. I'm not certain if this is a backlash to the age of Batman: Arkham titles with their frequent onscreen prompts and constant reminders but it is definitely a noticeable trend in the industry.

As for Fortnite specifically, yeah--this is one of the more egregious examples. Key to the title, it's only difference from Player Unknown in fact, is that it maintains the building options from the full title's tower defense mode. This means players can, on the fly, build bases and structures using the materials found during gameplay. Except there is absolutely zero indication of that except a few small buttons on the bottom of the screen. The player has no idea what they are and, should he or she try them out, will be greeted with a confusion bevy of icography displaying material and shape. As mentioned , the player needs material to utilize any of this, meaning you need to first attack structures (Not told) to collect material (No idea) of the right type (How do I cycle material?) to try out for the first time!

It's a real issue that a fifteen minute tutorial level would solve but hey--that would cost a modicum of effort, and the Fortnite developers are busy looking at more ideas to steal for that.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
It's a real issue that a fifteen minute tutorial level would solve but hey--that would cost a modicum of effort, and the Fortnite developers are busy looking at more ideas to steal for that.
Fortnite PvE is an over thought mess which they need to simplify which is probably why, before BR, the game was a flash in the pan.

They could port the tutorial from the SP game, or a modified version, to show some basics of building but the SP tutorial though is pretty heavy with some real stupid shit. They need to seriously redo that tutorial as well so it's better to just start totally fresh.

It's funny that about 7 years ago Epic hired some super smart User Interface researchers and invested pretty heavily into the UX area. They learned from Microsoft how important it was to user test their shit. But I guess they didn't learn enough because the Fortnite UI is an abomination.

So is the whole "meta" of Fortnite. All the collections and squads and shit. Minions with 5 different types of people with multiple types of personalities and specialities which have to match for best efficiency. Leveling heroes AND minions, AND traps, AND weapons, AND blah blah blah.

Transforming anything and everything, and memorization of an encyclopedia sized recipe book while hauling around dozens of components required for upgrading and crafting items inside the (like guns) the game and out (like transforming or upgrading heroes). Hell, they even have separate XP pools for upgrading traps, one for upgrading heroes, one for upgrading minions.

All the while crippled by limited storage space (which you can't expand past a certain point and is shared by your in game and in UI items).

Be careful what you wish for. Fortnite BR may have a bit of ramp up time but having Epic spend MORE time fucking with it to make it "better" is probably just asking for trouble.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortnite