Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 01:07 PM
7 Replies, 399 Views

Old 07-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Marvel Unveils Phase 4 Lineup

Included in the announcements is that Natalie Portman will play the female Thor in the Thor movie and that a new Blade movie is in development as well as movies coming in the future from the Fantastic Four and the X-Men.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I really don’t give much of a crap about The Eternals. Marvel has been trying to make that happen for a while and the characters aren’t that interesting. Notice that Guardians of the Galaxy 3 isn’t on the list or even mentioned, though you know it is going into development as soon as The Suicide Squad is finished.

I will totally go see Doctor Strange and Thor. Those should both be great. They are bringing back the same director for Thor as the last movie, so it should be a blast.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Doctor Strange and Thor are really the only movies I'm interested in, right now. I'm curious about a couple of the shows...but I'm not sure if it's enough to warrant another subscription.

I'm more surprised they got Natalie Portman to come back than anything else. We'll see how the Jane Foster Thor plays out on the big screen, I suppose. Regardless, it'll definitely be an enjoyable film with Taika Waititi back in the director's chair.

At this point, I'm just curious to see how they'll incorporate Fantastic Four and X-Men into the mix. Until then, I'm kinda hitting the snooze button.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

No Hulk movie, no dice for me. I'm wore out on Marvel.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
TheHulk
Evil Dead

What If was always a great comic when it came out, and I like the few Shang Chi comics I had. Wish the TV shows were launching sooner. Still waiting for Adam Warlock. Hopefully that will be in Guardians 3 and not messed up too bad. He would have been best used in Infinity War.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Long wait, if I read this right the only Marvel movie next summer is Black Widow??? WTF?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
DingBat
Evil Dead

I have to wait until 2021 for more Dr. Strange? Disappointing.

I'll see Black Widow, Strange, Hawkeye, and Thor. The rest I don't really know that well.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I'll see all of them... as will most of you here. Admit it.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Maybe I'm just getting older, or they're delving deeper into their stable than my interest level, but I'm not too excited about most of this. Definitely on board for Dr. Strange, and I really like GotG 1 and 2, so I'll see 3 when it comes out. But I stopped following comics well before a female Thor was around. I'll probably check that out, but will likely skip the rest.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I'm still on board with seeing most (if not all) of them, for sure...but I doubt I'll make it out to theaters for Black Widow or Shang-Chi. I'm not overly familiar with the Eternals, but their cosmic stuff is usually worth seeing on the big screen at least once.

As long as the quality continues to remain consistent, I'll still be catching these movies one way or another. I'm just not going to be scrambling to the theater for opening night like I have for many of 'em.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I don't think I could be less excited for the line up.

Hearing that Natalie Portman, who seemed to be ashamed of her Jane Foster role and phoned it in for the second second movie, is coming back and will be Lady Thor at that is a particular disappointment.

Lady Thor is something that never should have happened, just another injection of progressive ideology into the comics and is infecting the movies as Disney goes whole hog into left field.

The Eternals may have some life but I have no faith in that cast. I heard almost nothing about the TV show. Did it even air? Dr. Strange is a good stand-by and people will be happy to see Black Widow but I couldn't care less about her stand-alone movie. Like Hawkeye I felt she was an odd-person out in the Avengers. A token normie. Her movie is going to be a spy flick. I expect it to do well because it is ScarJo and Marvel but it doesn't excite me any more than a new Bond movie would.

Never heard of Shang-Chi or whatever.

Not seeing the value in Disney+ based on these shows. Frankly I'm bored to death of Loki and Falcon and Winter Soldier don't feel strong enough to hold a series together without Captain America. I really like the actors but the chemistry didn't seem to be there.

Vision and Scarlett Witch could be interesting but those character were never really developed so it is hard to say.

What If... could be the one piece of gold among the dross here depending on what they episodes they throw in. This opens up a lot of variety.

I am disappoint. Spearheaded by the most poorly written and executed "hero" Disney could possibly find in Brie Larson's Captain Marvel phase 4 looks like a dud to this fan.
They seem to be willing to double down on crap.

I hope they get the financial punishment necessary to tell them they need to switch directions before they go too much farther; unlike Star Wars the team on the Marvel properties has said they listen to fans. Let's see if the fans speak and if Marvel listens.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

MCU: White men will no longer be allowed to superhero alone, must be accompanied by diversity
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I will probably end up going to see all of them, but there isn't much here to see. There is only one Marvel movie next summer and FemThor doesn't even come out until the fall. The rest of the stuff is in 2021.

Seems like they are holding back on the movies to help launch the streaming service.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I was a pretty big comic fan when I was a kid but I got a little tired of the movies eventually and I felt like End Game was a good place to jump off the train. I ended up seeing Spider Man because my son's friend's mom sort of organized it for us all to see it together. It was a fun movie too but I just don't feel the need to see them anymore with the possible exception of Doctor Strange. Thor would be another one I'd really want to see as well but if they really are going down the road of Lady Thor then no thanks.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:46 AM   #15
Rommel
International Playboy

Black Widow: About damn time! One of the most interesting characters in the damn film series.

The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Imagine how good this would be if they went for a full on espionage film. Imagine how bad it will be when they turn it into a lousy, buddy cop comedy romp. I wonder which one will be Hooch.

The Eternals: NO! Bad Marvel. Bad! No one likes this shitty mythology. We put up with it when it is necessary for like, Thanos BUT NOTHING ELSE.

Shang-Chi: I spent more time reading the wikipedia than typing this post.

Doctor Strange: Alright, now we're talking!

Loki: ...Well I guess the cat is out of the bag on that one. Thanks phase 4 line up!

What If?: How the fuck are they going to do this? A series of shorts, like Spielberg's Amazing Stories, in 2021?

FemThor: Alright here we go. This is the story. Let's be real, the Jane Foster story was TERRIBLE in the comics. The issue wasn't the existence of a female Thor but the story of female Thor, which was lazy and laden with plot holes and inconsistencies. If Marvel had any patience whatsoever or respect for its own property's mythologies, this could have been done well. Instead, it was thrown out there and the audience didn't accept it. Worse the resolution, that it was Jane Foster all along, was met with sub-dull surprise levels of enthusiasm. Hey Marvel, OF COURSE IT WAS JANE FOSTER ALL ALONG. My initial thought upon hearing about FemThor: TMP was that, just as with a multitude of other stories adapted for the big screen, it would be so different that the source material being poor would not matter. Unfortunately, I realized another problem. The film Thor does not have a legacy of what happens to whom wields his hammer. Fuck! So how they are going to tell this tale is beyond me and I suspect they haven't thought of that either.

Hawkguy: Eye eye.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Imagine how good this would be if they went for a full on espionage film. Imagine how bad it will be when they turn it into a lousy, buddy cop comedy romp. I wonder which one will be Hooch.
This is the one show I'm actually anticipating more than the rest. The rumored story features Falcon and Winter Soldier being forced to work with John Walker (who would be the new government-selected super solider/Captain America) who - in the comics - eventually snaps and has to be taken down. Walker eventually becomes U.S. Agent. If they go this route for the show, it would definitely have potential.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #17
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Are the Disney+ ones straight-to-video movies or episodic shows?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Are the Disney+ ones straight-to-video movies or episodic shows?
They're episodic series, I believe.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
actusoul
Evil Dead

Blade reboot is the only one I care about.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

As much as everyone loves their CGI movies around here, why is it that no one is talking about this?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel phase 4