Yesterday 10:05 PM
4 Replies, 311 Views

Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

CD Projekt Red Doesn't Like Microtransactions

Via IGN
Quote:
The head of CD Projekt Red’s Krakow studio, John Mamais, has said that Cyberpunk 2077 won't contain any microtransactions, and called the practice of adding them into a game after release a "bad idea."

In an interview with Gamespot, Mamais said, "I think it's a bad idea to do microtransactions after you release a game. It seems like it's very profitable, though. It's probably a hard decision for the guy that runs the business to decide if we should do it or not.

"But if everyone hates it, why would we do something like that and lose the goodwill of our customers?"
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

A studio with some conscience? Color me shocked
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
RAV
Evil Dead

I mean it doesn't have to be bad on principle, but I also have never seen a good value proposition for it yet.

Either they sell stupid services, bonuses and boosts for it that have no real value to the game other than diluting it, or sell simple skin swaps for 5 dollars when the cost of production would be covered by selling it for 1 cent; then sell it for 10 cent or 20 cent, but how can you justify a 1$+. They sell you a game for 30 to 60 bucks, and then want to sell you ONE texture or model for 10% to 20% of what the entire game costs with thousands of textures and models? Really? Even if it's hundreds of little DLC pieces, you could pack all those stupid skin swaps together into one pack and sell it for the price of an expansion pack. Instead you pay like hundreds or even thousands of dollars if you want all the game's content... which isn't actually much content...

This whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me. If the value proposition made more sense I might even buy some of that shit by impulse, so they'd make at least some money on me. Instead, they get nothing from me.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I remember the days of quake where every new skin , maps and the like we're not only free but also made by the community... Using tools provided by the developer.

The replay ability of the games was off the charts .. now? I don't even bother .
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

For completionists, it's abhorrent.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

If it’s skins for a $20 game I don’t see the problem in further supporting the studio short of buying multiple copies. I only bought a handful of skins for Killing Floor and Elite Dangerous because I got the games cheap and was still playing a year later.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

Look, I love me some CD Projekt Red, but... I get it! There won't be microtransactions! They don't need to hit the media every once in a while to repeat it over and over. Just make the game guys.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlukeguy View Post
Look, I love me some CD Projekt Red, but... I get it! There won't be microtransactions! They don't need to hit the media every once in a while to repeat it over and over. Just make the game guys.
Yea, I hear ya. They're really exploiting this for marketing purposes. Like, thanks for not trying to squeeze me for more and more money, but you really don't need to comment about it over and over again.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #9
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Catch 22.

This is the norm, and standard of products years ago, and should be the expectation of today.

So one could say they can't brag, but I say they're wrong.

it SHOULD be the normal practice, but it isn't.

A return to ethical development should be bragged about and milked, because it makes the competition look bad and makes them look good, smart for business and smart to smear the competition in a way that's honorable.

I've been playing witcher 3 and shadows die twice, I want to finish these titles before cyberpunk is out, I want to try and fit death stranding in before cyberpunk.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #10
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
Yea, I hear ya. They're really exploiting this for marketing purposes. Like, thanks for not trying to squeeze me for more and more money, but you really don't need to comment about it over and over again.
Like that jailhouse colleague who claims to be your friend because he hasn't raped you (yet) and can't shut up about it.

Tags
cd projekt red, cyberpunk 2077