Post something good you...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,617 Views

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

PAX East 2011: Section 8 Prejudice Hands-On

Saturday morning during press hours I got a chance to check out Section 8 Prejudice on the sly. Then I decided to write some words about it.

Read the words I wrote about this game by clicking the headline!
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

While wandering around the show floor on Saturday morning, I was able to check out the multiplayer “Conquest” mode of TimeGate’s new title Section 8:Prejudice. I had played only a very small amount of the original Section 8 on the PC, and while it was a decent game, nothing about it really stuck with me.

Interestingly enough, this was probably the most free form demo I played at the entire convention. It was during press hours, and everyone from TimeGate was busy doing an interview so I literally snuck up, tossed on a headset and started playing.

For those who aren’t familiar with the game, the original Section 8 basically didn’t have a campaign. It was pretty much a tutorial to prepare you for multiplayer. This sequel promises to have a fully fleshed-out campaign in adition to the competitive multiplayer, and a cooperative “swarm” (see: horde) mode.

What I got out of Prejudice was a nice go-between of Halo:Reach and the Battlefield series. Conquest mode is a large tug-of-war between capture points, with two teams assaulting one another to gain ground. One of its interesting gimmicks is that you spawn by shooting out of the sky like a bullet down to the ground. You actually have to apply an “air brake” to land safely, and you can basically spawn anywhere on the map. However, if you choose to come rocketing into heavily fortified enemy territory, AA guns may mean you’ll never even hit the ground alive. It’s an interesting twist on the classic spawn point.

Also returning is my favorite mechanic, the charge run. Running pulls the camera back into third person POV, and you can literally run over and kill other players with a fully charged head-on collision.

As you fight and capture territory you can earn the ability to call down defensive turrets, vehicles, and mechs onto the battlefield to reinforce your territory or make a strong offensive push against the other side. You can also choose to destroy, repair or hack different objects on the battlefield such as comm uplinks. This all feels like games you’ve played before, but at the same time, it’s fairly well executed and comfortable.

I think the most telling thing about Prejudice is that no one from TimeGate ever talked to me, and yet I picked up the controller and had a 9 kill streak before the round ended. I also came in second place on my team, and figured out the controls in under a minute. So yeah, we’ve all played this game before, in quite a few iterations. Familiarity may breed contempt, but it also makes for a high kill/death ratio. This isn’t a knock, because the controls and gameplay were spot on. You just might be disappointed if you’re looking for something completely groundbreaking in the genre.

Oh, and here’s the important fact I wasn’t aware of at the time. It’s $15, and downloadable. I found that out from a complete stranger about a day after after I played the demo, and it turned around my entire opinion of the game. I walked away from the demo station saying “It wasn’t bad, but that’s not worth sixty dollars.” Now I know it’s under twenty, and I think it will be a great value at that price. For what it’s worth, Prejudice is the best looking downloadable FPS I have seen to date, and it appears TimeGate is about to make an ambitious push to test the limits of what a downloadable game can be.
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
CalmPengiun
Evil Dead

I played the first Section 8 until the XBox community dwindled down to about 12 people. Everything I've read about the sequel is making me more and more antsy for it's release.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Cygnus
Evil Dead

S8P is looking good. You can't beat the low price. The quality of XBL titles have improved quite a bit lately. However with tribes sequel being announced, I am more excited about that over S8P.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Honestly, S8 the original would make a fantastic $15 downloadable game, so getting iteration 2 for that price will be a great deal.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Kayden
Dread Lord

I played the beta for it and I am willing to shell out $15 for it, even if it is a GFWL title.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pax east 2011, section 8 prejudice