Last post by RAV
Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,632 Views

Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Maybe if you stuck your dick in a hornet's nest they would just kind of look at it and think 'what the hell is that?' and not really do anything.

Think about it. A hornet hasn't ever seen a human dick.
You’re right they haven’t seen a human dick, and may think the urethra hole is a place to hatch one of their young.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #22
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Bwuh? Wait, did you just equate financial terrorism and the promotion of copyright theft to murder?
Exaggeration for the sake of emphases, although I do believe that there are could be similarities there. I would love to see some kind of in depth psychological testing done between various groups of radicals in order to determine what their rational is for the acts they take. I think we would find that there are a lot of similarities between the various groups, and that it is the culture they grew up in that leads them to more or less violence then anything else.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #23
wunshot
Subscriber

I'm a PC gamer who never plans on buying a PS3. I think it's pretty rad that they can crash an entire platform. Take down the rift servers while you're at it...I'll end up with a couple more hours of productivity per day. Situations like this make me glad I don't need to go through some centralized gatekeeper to play my games.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #24
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
You’re right they haven’t seen a human dick, and may think the urethra hole is a place to hatch one of their young.
Oh shit. I'd rather get stung.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
modeps
Get busy living.

If they're really upset with Sony over Geohot, the appropriate course of action would be to donate legal tender to his defense fund instead of launching a terrorist action against Sony. Sadly, these people are likely just using it as an excuse to use their tools and likely don't care at all about the actual cause.

There is a way to defeat Sony, and this isn't it.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartbreakRidge View Post
Shorter version:

WAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAH!

Time for a diaper change.
Nailed it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #27
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
politics aside, i for one am happy to know that there are those that still CAN shove it into the face of a multi billion dollar corporation.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #28
TDiddy
Evil Dead

They proved they are just immature people looking to make a name for themselves with the whole penis in a hornets nest comment. Take that away and you might view the statement as them being serious in their actions.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I hate these little commie rat bastards...
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
If they're really upset with Sony over Geohot, the appropriate course of action would be to donate legal tender to his defense fund instead of launching a terrorist action against Sony. Sadly, these people are likely just using it as an excuse to use their tools and likely don't care at all about the actual cause.

There is a way to defeat Sony, and this isn't it.
If anything, they probably just helped destroy Geohot's case; by essentially making the attack in his name, he's inextricably bound to their actions. Sony's lawyers are going to have a field day with this.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #31
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeps View Post
A DOS attack is not terrorism. I'm reading this bit of hyperbole over and over in responses. Terrorism targets the civilian populace of a group or nation with violence in order to disrupt and weaken them. This hacker group is denying a corporation their ability to make money through online sales because they disagree with them politically.

It's much more like an embargo on trade than it is an act of terrorism. . . except even less than that because only one company is attacked whereas embargos are for whole territories and often lead to death due to shortages and strife.

This isn't nitpicking modeps. I don't support these guys because I don't support piracy. . . thus their cause is ridiculous, BUT their method of attack is interesting and very clean. Terrorism on the other hand is characterized by being very dirty and ineffective. . . by it's nature bystanders are effected more greatly than the actual country of which they are apart. This cyber attack hurts Sony a great deal by denying them a day of online sales, but it only mildly hurts (not being able to play games online for a day or two via PS3 isn't the end of the world) users.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #32
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
by it's nature bystanders are effected more greatly than the actual country of which they are apart.
AFFECTED, dammit, not effected.

I'm turning into Froggy.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

Sony: "Here is a product/service we created. If you purchase it, you can use and enjoy it."

Internet: "We purchased your product. 2% of us have reverse engineered it. We are "freeing" your product so everyone can enjoy creating things with it. Some people might use it to be malicious. Oh well. It's a victimless crime."

Sony: "Please don't do that. You agreed to our contract when you bought the product. We took away features that only 2% of the ownership used anyway because people were performing illegal activities with it."

Internet: "YOU DIE! DIE DIE DIE! EVERYONE ON YOUR NETWORK MUST DIE! ALSO...POLITICS!"

Luckily my trophies will sit safely, waiting to sync once PSN is back up.

The Vomiting Unicorn Gazette

Xbox Live: Kragg
PSN: El_Kragg
Steam: Kragg
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #34
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
A DOS attack is not terrorism. I'm reading this bit of hyperbole over and over in responses. Terrorism targets the civilian populace of a group or nation with violence in order to disrupt and weaken them. This hacker group is denying a corporation their ability to make money through online sales because they disagree with them politically.

It's much more like an embargo on trade than it is an act of terrorism. . . except even less than that because only one company is attacked whereas embargos are for whole territories and often lead to death due to shortages and strife.

This isn't nitpicking modeps. I don't support these guys because I don't support piracy. . . thus their cause is ridiculous, BUT their method of attack is interesting and very clean. Terrorism on the other hand is characterized by being very dirty and ineffective. . . by it's nature bystanders are effected more greatly than the actual country of which they are apart. This cyber attack hurts Sony a great deal by denying them a day of online sales, but it only mildly hurts (not being able to play games online for a day or two via PS3 isn't the end of the world) users.
That's your definition of terrorism. How about the actually definition, via dictionary.com?

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Sounds spot on to me. What they are doing is the definition of terrorism. Using threats to intimidate or coerce.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #35
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
I would love to see some kind of in depth psychological testing done between various groups of radicals in order to determine what their rational is for the acts they take.
Go look it up or take an abnormal psychology class. We understand radicals really well already.

The big thing you'll read about is the suspension of rationalism. Once people trick you into believing something that can't be proven, they can ask you to do any stupid thing. For thousands of years, people have been told that X or Y religion demands that they do Z stupid-ass thing in order to get into their religion's version of heaven. The trick to controlling people is demanding faith and promising immortality and then just shopping around enough until you find people ignorant or stupid enough to believe you.

As an aside, please don't take this indictment of religion to mean that I think all religion is shit. It has it's purposes when it is not being used as a tool to control the weak-minded, uneducated, and/or unfortunate.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #36
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
That's your definition of terrorism. How about the actually definition, via dictionary.com.
"the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes."

They have not used violence or the threat of violence. That's what's interesting and different about this type of attack from terrorism. This cyber attack is highly-focused and has minimal collateral damage to the general populace while directly hurting the target's finances. A terrorist attack generally hurts the populace in order to indirectly hurt it's target.

What part of that should I explain better? I don't understand what you are not comprehending.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #37
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
"the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes."

They have not used violence or the threat of violence. That's what's interesting and different about this type of attack from terrorism.
Let's spread the learning of dictionary.com. Definition of violence:

6. damage through distortion or unwarranted alteration: to do editorial violence to a text.

Wow. They committed an act of violence against the Playstation Network. They damaged it through distortion or unwarranted alteration.

Terrorism still describes what they did.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
bean19
Butt Stallion

@TDiddy -Okay, I'm thinking you are interested in stretching the word terrorism for some weird semantic-tick. I'm not interested in what word is used, but in how different this is from an act of terrorism. A non-violent attack like this one that goes directly against the party targeted with so little collateral damage is unique to our age. Like I said before, it is similar to an embargo (which has been around before), but it is different in that it is much more targeted. Plus, an embargo often ends up indirectly killing people through poverty or scarcity of goods.

If you are just interested in playing some word-game-bullshit, find someone as retarded as you to play. I could give a shit.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragg View Post
Sony: "Here is a product/service we created. If you purchase it, you can use and enjoy it."

Internet: "We purchased your product. 2% of us have reverse engineered it. We are "freeing" your product so everyone can enjoy creating things with it. Some people might use it to be malicious. Oh well. It's a victimless crime."

Sony: "Please don't do that. You agreed to our contract when you bought the product. We took away features that only 2% of the ownership used anyway because people were performing illegal activities with it."

Internet: "YOU DIE! DIE DIE DIE! EVERYONE ON YOUR NETWORK MUST DIE! ALSO...POLITICS!"

Luckily my trophies will sit safely, waiting to sync once PSN is back up.
Funny stuff Kragg. I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #40
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Quote:
@TDiddy -Okay, I'm thinking you are interested in stretching the word terrorism for some weird semantic-tick. I'm not interested in what word is used, but in how different this is from an act of terrorism. A non-violent attack like this one that goes directly against the party targeted with so little collateral damage is unique to our age. Like I said before, it is similar to an embargo (which has been around before), but it is different in that it is much more targeted. Plus, an embargo often ends up indirectly killing people through poverty or scarcity of goods.

If you are just interested in playing some word-game-bullshit, find someone as retarded as you to play. I could give a shit.
Are you angry that I called you out and proved you wrong? You are too focused on the media covered version of terrorism. You even used the word "generally" to describe your version. And I didn't get all juvenile and resort to name calling.

I didn't stretch the meaning of terrorism, I used the actual definition. Unlike you.

Tags
anonymous, hackers, psn, script kiddies, sony