Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 06:22 PM
4 Replies, 225 Views

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #21
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
What does the U stand for, anyway (Wii Underpowered?!?) Granted, I've not seen alot of video of the Wii U (Wii University?!?), but what I have seen looks less impressive than the PS Vita. Even the tech demo for the Wii U (Wii Underpants?!?) doesn't look as good as Uncharted for Vita. And if the Wii U (Wii Universe?!?) has less graphical capability than a handheld system, and one that might have been available for about a year by the time the Wii U (Wii Ultimate?!?!), then I think we will in fact be seeing another woefully underpowered game console from Nintendo.
What are you even talking about. The controller is not the console. We shouldn't expect a $70 controller (my guess) to equal the Vita visually in any case.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #22
donkeydrop
Evil Dead

Watson it contains nearly 3000 Power 7 CPUs, so saying that you are going to use a single one of these CPUs doesn't mean anything. They are more current than the CPUs in other console, but they are also designed specifically for parallel processing and we all know how that worked out for Sony with the Cell. I actually think they are fudging even the comment they made since I really doubt they would go with the 8 core processors that are use in Watson (again see Sony's problems with developers). They are probably using one of the lower Power 7 chips with 4 cores.

Considering that Nintendo has now admitted that all the trailers were faked and were not running on their hardware all we have to go on is Reggie's feeble argument that " it does 1080p so it must be as good".
donkeydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #23
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeydrop View Post
Considering that Nintendo has now admitted that all the trailers were faked and were not running on their hardware all we have to go on is Reggie's feeble argument that " it does 1080p so it must be as good".
That was my favorite piece of news this morning. The old "Oh, all of our demos were running on X360s, PS3s, and PCs" just felt like a slap in the face to me for some reason.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #24
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
What are you even talking about. The controller is not the console. We shouldn't expect a $70 controller (my guess) to equal the Vita visually in any case.
How much was Sony's controller when it was first released? 64 bucks? Expect this thing to cost you a nut.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #25
ketwyld
Knight

Since this has a touch screen with stylus, can we now get a DS Player, Nintendo? I want to play DS games on my TV, like a do with my GB & PSP games. The DSi XL was a step in the right direction, but still not large enough if you ask me.

ketwyld

XBox Live : ketwyld
PS Network: ketwyld
Steam ID .: ketwyld
ketwyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #26
viewtifulmom
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroeric View Post
need to buy some IBM stock.
Yep.

This article is less a testament to Nintendo and more a reaffirmation of IBM's continued awesomeness in chip design.
viewtifulmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
How much was Sony's controller when it was first released? 64 bucks? Expect this thing to cost you a nut.
You wont be able to buy them. One per console included when you buy the console. Thats it. You can not buy them seperatly
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #28
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
You mean the kind that never gets stuck anywhere but back in your pants?
I learned awhile ago to not stick my dick in cd trays.

Seriously though- from a technical perspective that CPU is somewhat interesting. Im willing to bet that nintendo will push to make this console more powerful than the ps3/xbox- but how much more? I dont think they would be dumb enough to put them selves in a hole where they get left behind once the new xbox/ps arrives. But on the other hand they sure are making an early move.

Still no word on the GPU?
mrbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #29
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectVoid View Post
That was my favorite piece of news this morning. The old "Oh, all of our demos were running on X360s, PS3s, and PCs" just felt like a slap in the face to me for some reason.
Those titles mentioned will most likely look better on Wii U than on 360/Ps3.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #30
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroeric View Post
What the hell does the even mean?

Same processor technology? I am going to call bull-fucking-shit on this chip having any level of processing power as Watson. Maybe it can do a math problem in the same way as Watson but it is going to be WAAAAY slower. Otherwise this will be the first console this millennium to have a price tag with 4 digits and comma in the price tag and I need to buy some IBM stock.

I dont think they are claiming that. I never got that from the article. Watson had like 2000+ of these things inside. Along with lots of other stuff. This wii-u likely has 1 (with X number of cores inside it).
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #31
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Also I was thinking about those displays on the controller. What is the resolution of them? If its NTSC SD sized (probably) then it wont take much to work that. Even if it was an anamorphic varient of that- it still wouldn't take that much. We use similar stuff here at work and the over head of processing power is minimal at best wireless signal and all.

I gotta say this Wii U has me interested.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #32
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketwyld View Post
Since this has a touch screen with stylus, can we now get a DS Player, Nintendo? I want to play DS games on my TV, like a do with my GB & PSP games. The DSi XL was a step in the right direction, but still not large enough if you ask me.
This would be cool, but there may be some issues.

1. The DS is an extremely low resolution that is shown to be extremely low if you make the screen larger. Basically, at larger sizes, it will look fuzzy and awful. They could probably do this for 3DS games and they'd just look like old PS2 games now, but DS games would look. . . just really, really bad.

2. You need a port for the games on the Wii-U for this. Someone can make hardware to do this if they include a USB port, but Nintendo may not want this as allowing a USB device to work as a storage device for game data would make piracy easy. You could also go Wifi and have the Wii-U transport game titles from a DS or a 3DS, but then you have to keep it running while you play to constantly be reassuring the console that you aren't stealing or you could again have problems with piracy. Also, it wouldn't be hard to teach a PC how to behave like it is a 3DS sending Wifi reports that it has game X on. Basically, pirates may screw this up for us.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #33
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Oh bean. Nintendo doesn't care if it has pirates. That is why any mem-cart that is inserted in the damn thing works. Ironically by not giving a fk they are actually making major $$$. So really the whole "pirates may screw this up for us" comment is laughable.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #34
mrbrick
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh bean. Nintendo doesn't care if it has pirates. That is why any mem-cart that is inserted in the damn thing works. Ironically by not giving a fk they are actually making major $$$. So really the whole "pirates may screw this up for us" comment is laughable.
Its funny how the companies that dont give a fuck about pirates tend to be more profitable.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #35
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

They prob don't give a fuck because their hardware is outselling the competition. Between casuals, the GOT TO HAVE IT ALL people and pirates Nintendo has it made. Now they just need...moar game support.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #36
Eats
Developer

What does this article even mean? As far as I can tell nothing. Basically in summary, the Wii U uses an unidentified number of some cpu with unidentified specs...it doesn't even say the architecture of the chip. But the chip has a lot of onboard ram i guess....which seems not particularly useful for gaming.

Meanwhile the video card is what really matters and is not even mentioned.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #37
Evil_SPanKY
It aint easy being cheezy

This is NOT the chip used in the recent IBM super computer, but is based on the same technology as that chip in a new custom package specific to Nintendo. And that IBM sup-com had thousands of those chips/cores in the cluster, so I would not draw any comparison between this and that. They are not even in the same universe.
Evil_SPanKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

Watson runs on an IBM Power7, which I have used for work before. If Wii U runs on (a modified version) of one of those, it should be able to crank. They are incredibly powerful chips.

The Vomiting Unicorn Gazette

Xbox Live: Kragg
PSN: El_Kragg
Steam: Kragg
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #39
Kragg
Klassic Kragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_SPanKY View Post
This is NOT the chip used in the recent IBM super computer, but is based on the same technology as that chip in a new custom package specific to Nintendo. And that IBM sup-com had thousands of those chips/cores in the cluster, so I would not draw any comparison between this and that. They are not even in the same universe.
Agreed. It seems to use the DRAM technology. But still, having a Power7 in the new Wii would be ridiculous. It would probably also set the price point around $4500 per console.

The Vomiting Unicorn Gazette

Xbox Live: Kragg
PSN: El_Kragg
Steam: Kragg
Kragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #40
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
They prob don't give a fuck because their hardware is outselling the competition. Between casuals, the GOT TO HAVE IT ALL people and pirates Nintendo has it made. Now they just need...moar game support.
Nintendo actually gives an extremely huge "fuck" about pirates. This is why they went with a cartridge on the N64 even though cartridges were more expensive to make. Likewise, they went with minidiscs for the Gamecube. Finally, the Wii has numerous issues with peripherals (ever have a problem with your Wii, remove all peripherals and start it with just the Wii-mote as it likes to lock people out if a game title's anti-piracy software doesn't recognize a peripheral, and thus thinks it might be being used to pirate). They've been willing to lower the quality of their hardware to make piracy more difficult on many occasions in the past, so it's possible they will do so again.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console wars, ibm, nintendo, watson, wii u