Post something good you...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,617 Views

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
pwnophobia
Sophisticated Pirate

Script Kiddies Take Down the PSN and Playstation.com

If you haven't been following the drama (I haven't really either), Sony has taken legal action against a man under the code name "Geohot." Because of this legal action, a bunch of anonymous folks decided it was time to strike back at Sony and take down the PSN and Playstation.com leaving this message:

Quote:
Congratulations, Sony. You now have now received the undivided attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal action against our follow hackers, Geohot and Graf_Chokolo, has not only alarmed us, it has been deemed wholly unforgivable.”

You have now abused the judicial system in an attempt to censor information on how your products work. You have victimised your own customers merely for possessing and sharing information, and continue to target every person who seeks this information. In doing so you have violated the privacy of thousands. This is the information they were willing to teach the world for free. The very same information you wish to suppress for sake of corporate greed and complete control of the users.

Now you will experience the wrath of Anonymous. You saw a hornets nest, and stuck your p*nises in it. You must face the consequences of your actions, Anonymous style.

Knowledge is Free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not Forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.
The PSN was confirmed offline yesterday evening as Sony tweeted the following:

Quote:
PSN currently undergoing sporadic maintenance. Access to the PSN may be interrupted throughout the day. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thanks to VGHQ.com.
pwnophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

'Our follow hackers'?

Typo in your hack? Embarassing.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Hornets nest?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
bean19
Butt Stallion

Smart corporations must balance their efforts to protect their properties from piracy against their potential losses. If you are spending $10 million/year to prevent piracy that would have resulted in $1 million more in profits (made up numbers to illustrate a point), then you are losing $9 million more than if you simply did nothing to curtail piracy. This type of interruption of service will cost Sony millions in sales on the PSN each day it goes on. When you add on the cost of the lawsuit and the costs of continually updating the firmware and causing new software to demand new firmware, etc. the cost of protecting the PS3 from piracy must be extremely high.

I have to wonder when they'll be losing more than they are gaining by fighting piracy. . . Then again, maybe they are at that point already or were a long time ago. They could be fighting piracy on principle or because their relationships with software providers are more important than the losses they take in preventing piracy.

Anyway, I think internet attacks like this are interesting. It's a very Tea Party thing. . . and I don't mean right-wing douchebags, but in the early American Revolutionary sense. They are rebelling against corporations by hitting them in the wallet where they hurt and they are doing so without hurting individuals. If all the crazy religious groups learned how to do this instead of terrorism (which has always been unsuccessful with the one exception of it being possible to wear down an occupying force), they'd be a lot more effective in peddling their crazy.
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
birdofprey_2000
Subscriber

Sigh....I am all down for sticking it to the man, but do you have to take down the damn network.
birdofprey_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
AspectVoid
Evil Dead

You know, this is really nothing more then an act of terrorism. These douche bags are pretty much exactly like the Jihadists. "We don't like what you do, so we are going to attack you! If you keep doing things we don't like, we'll continue to attack you!"

I'd also like to point out that these hackers ARE hurting individuals. Its individual people who work for Sony, probably thousands of them. Any damage they do to Sony as a whole will trickle down to their employees, leading to loss of income, perhaps reduced benefits, or even loss of jobs. Don't think something like this is a victimless crime, because it isn't. The people who are making these decisions at Sony aren't going to be hurt one bit by these hackers. They're high enough up the food chain that their jobs and incomes are secure. Its the tech support people and the factory workers are gonna take it in the rear.
AspectVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

"We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not Forgive. We do not forget."

Until next week.

Seriously, do they ever really follow through on their threats other than making some mayhem for a couple days? Scientology is still up, and Wikileaks is still under attack, and those are just the two I recall from the last few months.
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
HeartbreakRidge
Evil Dead

Shorter version:

WAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAH!

Time for a diaper change.
HeartbreakRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

So this is what, the first time PSN has been out of commission and it wasn't Sony's own stupid fault? /golfclap
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
El Ikkir
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean19 View Post
Smart corporations must balance their efforts to protect their properties from piracy against their potential losses. If you are spending $10 million/year to prevent piracy that would have resulted in $1 million more in profits (made up numbers to illustrate a point), then you are losing $9 million more than if you simply did nothing to curtail piracy. This type of interruption of service will cost Sony millions in sales on the PSN each day it goes on. When you add on the cost of the lawsuit and the costs of continually updating the firmware and causing new software to demand new firmware, etc. the cost of protecting the PS3 from piracy must be extremely high.

I have to wonder when they'll be losing more than they are gaining by fighting piracy. . . Then again, maybe they are at that point already or were a long time ago. They could be fighting piracy on principle or because their relationships with software providers are more important than the losses they take in preventing piracy.

Bringing the servers down only directly hurts the users, this is not helping anonymous in any way, and it will be used by Sony as another example of why they need more control.
El Ikkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Ruff_Daimont
Dread Lord

Now I'm actually wondering how it would feel to stick my P#nis in a hornets nest? I bet it would be painful.

Also, meh.... this will blow over and in a year it will be forgotten.
Ruff_Daimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ikkir View Post

Bringing the servers down only directly hurts the users, this is not helping anonymous in any way, and it will be used by Sony as another example of why they need more control.
Well it hurts Sony because the vast majority of people aren't going to look up that the system is down because of some sort of attack and assume it's Sony messing with their own system. However if this is only a 1-2 day deal I don't see this really hurting Sony at all other then a few angry costumers that likely go back to playing PSN on day 3 when the attack ceases.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
They could be fighting piracy on principle or because their relationships with software providers are more important than the losses they take in preventing piracy.
This is a big part of the equation.
Quote:
You know, this is really nothing more then an act of terrorism.
Agreed. Denial of service attacks, black faxes and the like are a direct attack on--
Quote:
These douche bags are pretty much exactly like the Jihadists.
Bwuh? Wait, did you just equate financial terrorism and the promotion of copyright theft to murder?
Quote:
"We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not Forgive. We do not forget." Until next week.
Or until the next episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic hits Youtube.
Quote:
Seriously, do they ever really follow through on their threats other than making some mayhem for a couple days?
/b's busy, a mod dozed off.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Well it hurts Sony because the vast majority of people aren't going to look up that the system is down because of some sort of attack and assume it's Sony messing with their own system. However if this is only a 1-2 day deal I don't see this really hurting Sony at all other then a few angry costumers that likely go back to playing PSN on day 3 when the attack ceases.
Sony's stock to a hit yesterday http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sne of course some are claiming this hack is the reason, while others point out that Sony is having trouble making some components due to the earthquake/tsunami.

I agree, it really only upsets a few customers who won't take a notice.

However, there might be a few that lose faith in PSN and this might discourage them from trusting the platform to do their online shopping, etc... However I doubt that.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
bean19
Butt Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ikkir View Post
Bringing servers down hurts Sony much more than users. User simply can't play online or purchase things online, but Sony loses money from sales they don't make today as a result of the servers being down.

As for helping the cause of the hackers, I don't know. . . First, let me reiterate that I think the cause is stupid and I don't support piracy at all, but as far as effectiveness. . . at some point the losses from preventing piracy are going to be much, much higher than the potential losses from not preventing it. Many companies choose to have a reasonable amount of DRM because they know that really obnoxious amounts scare away legitimate consumers like us (and ultimately don't defeat pirates anyway). This may be a point of principle for Sony like the drug laws in the United States. We spend billions of dollars trying to prevent drugs each year without any real success and we cause a black market with bad products and bad criminals that result in a ton of violence and death as a result (not to mention the cost of prosecuting and housing criminals who aren't killed). However, because our principles blind us to the realities of our policies, we continue to throw good money after bad year after year when simply allowing and taxing recreational drugs would result in far less crime. We'd have to find work for all the out-of-work cops though. . . I suggest retraining as nurses. The point is that you might be right that Sony will disregard their losses and not change their policies based on principles, but at what point does that become as stupid and destructive as the United State's war on drugs?

(Btw, I don't use drugs personally. Did some when I was younger (marijuana and ecstasy) to see what all the fuss was about and they aren't worth the money in my opinion, but even more than that they most certainly aren't worth the risk. If they were legalized, I would use pharmacy clean ecstasy on occasion for fun and marijuana socially like alcohol.)
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
LoTECH
Evil Dead

I have doubt that Anonymous was actually responsible for this attack. It seems a little odd to go after Sony like this. Normally, they attack groups or governments that are clearly in the wrong about a major world-issue.
I have generally appreciated most of their efforts, but this is petty and stupid.
Denial of service attacks against consumer companies or individuals are acts of terrorism that affect real people. Totally unacceptable. Taking down Scientology or the Westboro Baptist websites hurts nobody, and is hilarious.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Anonymous post something to the effect of a denial of this.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
lost
Like a Dungeon Dragon

Maybe if you stuck your dick in a hornet's nest they would just kind of look at it and think 'what the hell is that?' and not really do anything.

Think about it. A hornet hasn't ever seen a human dick.
lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Ozena
Evil Dead

I'm in the camp that this will eventually hurt the consumers and not only "big corporate" Sony. The typical guy sitting on his couch playing Killzone might not have any idea what this stuff is all about, but now he can't enjoy his purchase because some idiots knocked out the service.

Thanks guys! You really nailed it to the man.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTECH View Post
I have doubt that Anonymous was actually responsible for this attack. It seems a little odd to go after Sony like this. Normally, they attack groups or governments that are clearly in the wrong about a major world-issue.
I have generally appreciated most of their efforts, but this is petty and stupid.
Denial of service attacks against consumer companies or individuals are acts of terrorism that affect real people. Totally unacceptable. Taking down Scientology or the Westboro Baptist websites hurts nobody, and is hilarious.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Anonymous post something to the effect of a denial of this.
Anon attacked a toilet paper company (because it is related to someone who they disagree with politically). They will go after anyone that the hive agrees to attack. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/2...can-democracy/

Obviously they disagree with Sony for sueing Geohot, so I think it makes perfect sense for them to target Sony.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 04-05-2011 at 07:31 AM..
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #20
felix
Soul Reaper

At least godhatesfags.com is still down...

Tags
anonymous, hackers, psn, script kiddies, sony