Marvel's Stan Lee Series...
Last post by vallor
Today 12:45 AM
53 Replies, 2,833 Views

Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Venom Swings into the #1 Spot for a Second Weekend

Anti-Hero Venom webbed himself to the #1 spot for a second week in a row, while the Anti-American propaganda film First Man ended up being a massive loss for the studio.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of October 12th to October 14th, 2018.
  1. Venom $35.7/$142.8
  2. A Star is Born $28.0/$94.1
  3. First Man $16.5/$16.5
  4. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween $16.2/$16.2
  5. Smallfoot $9.3/$57.6
  6. Night School $8.0/$59.8
  7. Bad Times At The El Royale $7.2/$7.2
  8. The House With A Clock In Its Walls $3.9/$62.2
  9. The Hate U Give $1.7/$2.4
  10. A Simple Favor $1.3/$52.0
  11. The Nun $1.3/$115.9
  12. Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer $1.2/$1.2

With a projected development and marketing budget of $125 million, First Man will be a loss for the studio that rivals Waterworld, Pluto Nash, John Carter and Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
timmyd
Evil Dead

Nobody wants to see a moon landing movie? Really?

I grew up in a time and area full of engineers who worked on something related to the moon mission. The only way to stop one "WE PUT THE MAN ON THE MOON" was to find his slide rule and bury it pointing away from the moon. Even then, it wasn't surprising to be ready to shoot an intruder at 2:00 am and discover it was a "WE PUT THE MAN ON THE MOON!" And if you accidently did shoot one, everyone would stand around the body bag - if you listened real carefully you could still hear it!

One time in college my instructor revealed himself as a NASA engineer. My friend needed to talk to him after class. I warned her! Sure enough, his opening statement was "WE PUT THE MAN ON THE MOON!"

You can't make this stuff up.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
smgalia
Knight

I think people were turned off by the fact that First Man decided to SJW it by not showing an American putting up the flag on the moon, making it a "humankind" achievement instead of an American achievement.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Some of the fights in Venom where he first discovered his powers were very similar to fights in Upgrade. On top of that, both Tom Hardy and Logan Marshall-Green look like twins. This was very strange to watch.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgalia View Post
I think people were turned off by the fact that First Man decided to SJW it by not showing an American putting up the flag on the moon, making it a "humankind" achievement instead of an American achievement.
Exactly. Both the director and the lead actor went out of their way to point out that they left out the planting of the American flag and to justify why they left out the planting of the American flag. The two of them are pretty much 100% responsible for killing this film with their anti-American statements and attitude.

Word got out and so people were just turned off the whole movie.

It doesn't help that Gosling really doesn't act... he just stands there with a blank look on his face in every movie. That works in some of the noir style movies he has done in the past, it's out of place for a historical drama.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am a huge space buff. I lived in Florida for years and the only attraction I ever went to see was Kennedy. No Disney World, or Universal... and I skipped this movie.

America poured money, nationalistic pride, and lives (both on the pad, in test craft, and otherwise) into our space program much less getting a man on the moon.

Without the American Spirit and can-do attitude - that frankly seems to be built into Americans of all stripes - and the enthusiasm of the American people to continue funding and supporting, despite setbacks, costs, and the seeming impossible goals this would not have happened so no, it was purely an American achievement.

This movie opened just shortly after the 60th anniversary of NASA and not only couldn't they get any momentum from that but they had astronauts tacitly campaigning against their "it was a human achievement" bullshit.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
Nobody wants to see a moon landing movie? Really?
Part of it, to me, is that I have seen absolutely no advertising for the film on television. So I wouldn't even know it was out if it wasn't for me being a movie buff.

Second, we know how it ends. They made it. This isn't like Apollo 13 where you went into the film wanting to see just how bad things got and see how they triumphed. So there is a general lack of "what ifs" that go into this kind of film.

And as others have said, it lacks the "can do" and "macho" personality that films like The Right Stuff, hell, even Hidden Figures and The Martian, had.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
saulob
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
Some of the fights in Venom where he first discovered his powers were very similar to fights in Upgrade. On top of that, both Tom Hardy and Logan Marshall-Green look like twins. This was very strange to watch.
Man, I really thought that it was Tom Hardy on Upgrade.... f*ck!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This movie opened just shortly after the 60th anniversary of NASA and not only couldn't they get any momentum from that but they had astronauts tacitly campaigning against their "it was a human achievement" bullshit.
Patriotic Americans can smell the stink of progressive bullshit spin on the story. Also, our last president did his best to ruin NASA, turning it into a 'let's make Muslims feel good' agency rather than a SPACE AGENCY.

NASA administrator Charles Bolden regarding Obama's goals for the agency:

Quote:
"perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering."

On Fox News Channel, commentator Charles Krauthammer called Bolden's comments "a new height of fatuousness. NASA was established to get America into space and to keep us there. This idea of 'to feel good about your past scientific achievements' is the worst kind of group therapy, psycho-babble, imperial condescension and adolescent diplomacy. If I didn't know that Obama had told him this, I'd demand the firing of Charles Bolden.""
NASA was adrift for nearly a decade. We can't even get a human being into orbit or beyond without paying the Russians to do it for us, something we were FULLY CAPABLE OF DOING NEARLY SIX DECADES AGO.

Fuck the 'world achievement' movie and its bullshit revisionist history progressivism. Make NASA Great Again, President Trump!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

From what I'm told by people who saw the movie it's almost entirely about Neil Armstrong's family life. He was a lot more than just the first man on the Moon. They were aware of the supposed "controversy" and it isn't a thing. The movie is great.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Really sucks that Venom turned out to be profitable. Good job, idiots.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #12
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
America poured money, nationalistic pride, and lives (both on the pad, in test craft, and otherwise) into our space program much less getting a man on the moon.

Without the American Spirit and can-do attitude - that frankly seems to be built into Americans of all stripes - and the enthusiasm of the American people to continue funding and supporting, despite setbacks, costs, and the seeming impossible goals this would not have happened so no, it was purely an American achievement.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
Paranoia
Evil Dead

First Man omits the American flag, and the movie bombs.

There is this theory Hollywood needs to learn, GET WOKE, GO BROKE.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
Exodus
Evil Dead

Came here to read peoples thoughts on venom. Found myself in a trump rally.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Haha, what did you expect, Horse Face.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
If you want venom, you need to head to an Antifa or BLM or MeToo event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
von Braun is made out to be a hero as were other Nazi "immigrant" scientists who were involved in the rocket program but there were plenty of others without his questionable background. Though who knows how much longer it would have taken. I am not denigrating the impact immigrants had on the program or trying to turn this into a Trump rally.

But the point remains: it is the height of stupidity to give credit for putting the first man on the moon to any country besides America.

You can go back to "The Right Stuff" or, better yet Tom Hank's "From the Earth to the Moon" and look for any other country who materially invested in NASA's space program for "humanity". You won't find many.

Utter bullshit; getting to the moon was about AMERICA winning the space race. Any advancement for "humanity" was a side effect because it was felt America was the Good Guy and it was best for everyone if we beat everyone else in space supremacy. Way better for the world than if them damn dirty Reds owned space.

It's a damn shame what has happened to NASA since. Basically giving up on near earth orbit.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #18
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
I came away with that too. Upgrade was an appetizer. I'm certain it was deliberate.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I keep sitting down to watch Upgrade and never getting around to it. It’s on my watch list.

If you want to watch something crazy and you have Crunchyroll, check out Goblin Slayer. The first episode is just totally over the top and brutal. It’s a hard rated R and contains some major scenes of violence, so if that’s not your thing. I was like totally surprised at how brutal it was. I only watched it just because I thought the title was kinda cool, but it’s a great series.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #20
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Venom wasn't horrible. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Hardy is was fun to watch as always.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart