Introducing the...
Last post by Terran
Today 09:52 AM
23 Replies, 1,522 Views

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Pokemon Global Link Launch Postponed

This is news that will definitely disappoint a handful of folks here.

After a few attempts to check out the Global Link feature with my copy of Pokemon White, I figured I'd finally head on over to the Global Link Website and see what was up.

I was greeted with nothing but sadness, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Global Link
The Pokemon Global Link was scheduled to launch March 30, 2011. As a result of the earthquake in Japan and the need to conserve energy resources, the launch date has been temporarily delayed. When a new launch date is determined, it will be published here on the Pokemon Global Link. We apologize sincerely for any inconvenience caused by this delay.
So, I learned two things in the process:
1) The service was originally schedules to launch at the end of the month. I didn't know this.

2) The launch of said service is now delayed indefinitely. Talk about emotional roller coasters.

For those wondering, the Global Link service is essentially the global multiplayer service, complete with ratings/stats and some form of matchmaking.

Additionally, this also affects the ability to use the new Dream Land feature; it's a new side game that essentially plays like a browser game; you can transfer one of your Pokemon into the "dream land" to collect special berries and even find new Pokemon with special abilities. This feature was supposed to launch alongside the Global Link and is indefinitely postponed as well.(Thanks, Agnostic Pope)

Head on over to the official site for the story and updates on the situation.

I was looking forward to checking out this service...but I'm not surprised it's being delayed. There are more important things at stake than the launch of this little service, such as the safety and overall well-being of an entire country.
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

My wife and I were just talking about getting a DSi XL for the new Black/White games. Right now we're holding off to see if there's a price drop after the 3DS comes out.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

You forgot about NOT being able to go to Dreamland because of this...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
halfbent
Evil Dead

Too bad I can't even get wireless working with my U-Verse gateway. Stupid DS only being able to use WEP.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
You forgot about NOT being able to go to Dreamland because of this...
...no, I didn't...
Uh. Swamp gas.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Dreamland was a type of advanced form pokewalker. You could even battle there n shit with DREAMLAND ABILITIES OOooooh! Fcking Nintendo.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Wow, that sucks. I don't have anyone locally to trade or battle Pokemon with outside of a convention, so the Global Link would have been awesome.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Wow, that sucks. I don't have anyone locally to trade or battle Pokemon with outside of a convention, so the Global Link would have been awesome.
Yeah, I can see you going to Pokemon Tournaments.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Yeah, I can see you going to Pokemon Tournaments.
Here's the kicker: I never played a Pokemon game before last week. After I tried it, I started to wonder why the hell I've been avoiding it since the 90s. I also probably should have picked up the Pokemon card game instead of Magic.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Here's the kicker: I never played a Pokemon game before last week. After I tried it, I started to wonder why the hell I've been avoiding it since the 90s. I also probably should have picked up the Pokemon card game instead of Magic.
Well, at least you saw the error of your ways; despite everything else about the Pokemon franchise, the core games are quite good fun.

The card game, however...well, Magic is easily the better of the two. It's deeper and allows for greater strategy, especially if you enjoy deck building.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, at least you saw the error of your ways; despite everything else about the Pokemon franchise, the core games are quite addicting, fun and time consuming. SHINY PIDGEY!
Fixed! :P

tooshortrapper.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The card game, however...well, Magic is easily the better of the two. It's deeper and allows for greater strategy, especially if you enjoy deck building.
That may be, but it also required me to keep a large binder with all the rules by my side whenever I played, and there were alway questions as to whether I was doing this or that correctly, and countless runs to Google to look up what to do in situation X. And that was with 8th Ed. before they made things even MORE complicated with even MORE rules and features. I think Portal Second Age is about as complex as it should have gotten.. perhaps with a couple of more popular features from the main set, but that's IT.

Hence why I am thinking I should have invested my time and money in Pokemon instead. I love the Magic card art and the play concepts, but I now have thousands of cards in a giant box collecting dust.

My collecting was helped big time by one incident where I ordered 5 booster PACKS from Amazon and they sent me 5 booster BOXES. They never did catch on, and I wasn't about to complain.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I'm about to have my first kid, so that may be a good opportunity to switch to Pokemon down the line.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Dude...we are never gonna catch em all! (legit)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
That may be, but it also required me to keep a large binder with all the rules by my side whenever I played, and there were alway questions as to whether I was doing this or that correctly, and countless runs to Google to look up what to do in situation X. And that was with 8th Ed. before they made things even MORE complicated with even MORE rules and features. I think Portal Second Age is about as complex as it should have gotten.. perhaps with a couple of more popular features from the main set, but that's IT.

Hence why I am thinking I should have invested my time and money in Pokemon instead. I love the Magic card art and the play concepts, but I now have thousands of cards in a giant box collecting dust.

My collecting was helped big time by one incident where I ordered 5 booster PACKS from Amazon and they sent me 5 booster BOXES. They never did catch on, and I wasn't about to complain.
I will give you that; Magic is way too complicated for it's own damn good. I only played the Pokemon card game back when it first launched in the US; while I played for a few expansions into the series, the rules never saw any drastic changes. Sure, they added the new types like Dark and Steel after they were first introduced in the video games...but I honestly can't imagine any significant rule changes or additions they could have made to the game without breaking the similarity to the video games. I'm sure they've probably accommodated for double and triple battles since they've been introduced and I'd hope they would have thought to include some sort of Double-Headed Ogre rules.

tl:dr I can't see how they'd make the card game any more complicated without completely alienating it from the series it's based on. I don't even think the game had the "chain" concept when it first launched.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

My kids have been playing the series for a few years and I caved and bought Black (the youngest had the White version). I am hooked and just pre-ordered a new 3DS for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI View Post
My kids have been playing the series for a few years and I caved and bought Black (the youngest had the White version). I am hooked and just pre-ordered a new 3DS for me.
Well, I developed an obsession with Pokemon after renting Platinum, my first exposure to a Pokemon game.

As a result, I just ordered both Pokemon White and SoulSilver, since I wanted exposure to both new and old Pokemon. I also ordered a Pokemon TCG starter kit with CD-ROM.

I feel like I've gone completely crazy, because when Pokemon came out when I was 19, and since at the time I was trying to be as adult as possible, I dismissed it as a stupid kid's thing. But now with a first child on the way, I seem to be mentally regressing into a child.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Well, I developed an obsession with Pokemon after renting Platinum, my first exposure to a Pokemon game.

As a result, I just ordered both Pokemon White and SoulSilver, since I wanted exposure to both new and old Pokemon. I also ordered a Pokemon TCG starter kit with CD-ROM.

I feel like I've gone completely crazy, because when Pokemon came out when I was 19, and since at the time I was trying to be as adult as possible, I dismissed it as a stupid kid's thing. But now with a first child on the way, I seem to be mentally regressing into a child.
So with that being said, after I being White what game do you suggest I play in the series?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
So with that being said, after I being White what game do you suggest I play in the series?
Well, I'm a newbie for sure, I just ordered the games today. But, based on my extensive research, I'd say SoulSilver or HeartGold would be the next logical step after white, to both experience the CLASSIC Pokemons, and also because they come with a nifty pedometer digital thingy that can level up your Pokemon.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Unfortunately, anything prior to Black/White may feel like a bit of a step backwards in a number of areas. I'd start out with either HeartGold or SoulSilver(easiest adjustment), but you may want to pick up a copy of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum sometime down the road, too. Anything prior to that will be on GBA carts.

Tags
black, global link, pokémon, white