DOOM Eternal Debut...
Last post by Booda
Yesterday 05:15 AM
10 Replies, 1,604 Views

Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Turok And Turok 2 Remasters Coming To Xbox One

The Xbox One's exciting games catalog of exciting games continues to grow like a weed. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
If Monster Hunter is getting a little too realistic, it might be time to look at an older title for your giant lizard hunting needs. Remasters of 1997's Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and 1998's Turok 2: Seeds of Evil are launching on Xbox One on March 2.

Turok: Dinosaur hunter was a Nintendo 64 and Windows title meant to be an adaptation of the comic book series published by Acclaim Comics. Players assume the role of traveling warrior Turok on a quest to find the pieces of the Chronoscepter. And of course, battle dinosaurs, poachers, and more along the way.

Its sequel, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, was also an Nintendo 64 title, but also saw a port on Windows and Game Boy Color. Like its predecessor, it was also a dino-slaying FPS. There are six different levels with different missions connected to a hub area; this iteration also has multiplayer.

The two remasters are coming from Nightdive Studios, the same studio behind the System Shock remaster. The team behind that remaster is currently on hiatus to "reassess" its vision.
Click on the Headline for the Trailer.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Whimbrel
Subhuman

I wanted to like that game. But I remember it as being too dark to see much on screen and very difficult to control. It was more frustrating than fun, and I probably quit after less than a 10th of the game. There may have been a ton of super cool stuff on that cartridge, but I never got to any of it because the first parts just were not worth it.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

That doesn't look remastered to me.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
actusoul
Evil Dead

I enjoyed this game but a remake would have to be a complete graphic overhaul. How about AI?
actusoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The remastered editions on Steam are quite good and fixed every issue the old ones had. The main problem with the original Turok, and to a lesser extent Turok 2, was not darkness but fog. It was always a solid wall a couple feet away masking the short draw distance because of the N64's limited memory. Keep in mind the maps are huge. I guess the developers had a choice of either hideous pop-in or hideous fog. They went with fog. I recently played through Turok 2 on Steam and the draw distance is pulled way way back, there's also better lighting, high resolution and antialiasing support, and the addition of much needed FOV options. Compared to the much older Windows ports and N64 versions it was a very noticeable improvement without changing the core gameplay.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

On one hand, I always thought these games were overrated. On the other hand... Cerebral Bore.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I remember seeing this game for the first time on N64. I wanted to like it so bad. I would play with all of the weapons and shoot the big nuke one into the sky using cheats.

I don't think I ever played it enough to get past a few levels, though.

Is this the game the Xbox One X needs on it?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

The original Turok was the first and one of the only games that made me feel nauseous. Something about the way the character was moving still as if he was floating in water. I liked the game, but could barely play more than 10 minutes at a time.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:57 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimbrel View Post
I wanted to like that game. But I remember it as being too dark to see much on screen and very difficult to control. It was more frustrating than fun, and I probably quit after less than a 10th of the game. There may have been a ton of super cool stuff on that cartridge, but I never got to any of it because the first parts just were not worth it.
I remember the main thrill of the game, at the time, was being able to play a first person shooter on a 42” television as opposed to a 13 inch monitor. Everything felt so big. That was pretty much the only thing that made it stand out from Quake.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
On one hand, I always thought these games were overrated. On the other hand... Cerebral Bore.
Games are so lame now. I never thought I would so badly miss the x-treme 90s.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The remastered editions on Steam are quite good and fixed every issue the old ones had. The main problem with the original Turok, and to a lesser extent Turok 2, was not darkness but fog. It was always a solid wall a couple feet away masking the short draw distance because of the N64's limited memory. Keep in mind the maps are huge. I guess the developers had a choice of either hideous pop-in or hideous fog. They went with fog. I recently played through Turok 2 on Steam and the draw distance is pulled way way back, there's also better lighting, high resolution and antialiasing support, and the addition of much needed FOV options. Compared to the much older Windows ports and N64 versions it was a very noticeable improvement without changing the core gameplay.
I always felt like the fog in Turok 1 felt more like a feature than a limitation. The same goes for Kings Field. Insomniac REALLY made the fog work for them in Disruptor for ps1. That game is so great.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
mojo_x
Soul Reaper

I'll definitely be picking both of these up. The first remaster was fantastic on PC and it was surprising at how great it was to play with a modern twin-stick control scheme. It's just a shame that there isn't a retail release as I always prefer physical copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
It's a remaster, not a remake.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
There's only so much they can do to clean up the visuals from games made back in 1997 and 1998 without simply remaking the games.

They "remastered" the games as best as they could, given their age.

Tags
nightdive studios, turok 2: seeds of evil, turok: dinosaur hunter