8 Replies, 375 Views
See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,570 Views

Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep Teaser trailer.

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have tried to read this novel twice and couldn’t finish it. Psychic vampires. Meh.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

So is this a sequel to the shining?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
So is this a sequel to the shining?
Yes, it's a Shining sequel.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I've tried reading King twice. Once I randomly picked up Tommyknockers at the bookstore and just couldn't finish. The second was when I first met my wife and she lent me Insomnia saying I would like it. I willed myself to finish it because I didn't want to let me new girlfriend down but man was it bad, and it was very political. I just don't get the draw with him. He has some interesting ideas sometimes but I can't really get into his stuff.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I've tried reading King twice. Once I randomly picked up Tommyknockers at the bookstore and just couldn't finish. The second was when I first met my wife and she lent me Insomnia saying I would like it. I willed myself to finish it because I didn't want to let me new girlfriend down but man was it bad, and it was very political. I just don't get the draw with him. He has some interesting ideas sometimes but I can't really get into his stuff.
Those aren't really his best works though, either.

Try the Dark Tower books, IT, the Shining, Misery, Carrie, The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Green Mile, The Long Walk, etc.

Tommyknockers is probably his worst book.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Those aren't really his best works though, either.

Try the Dark Tower books, IT, the Shining, Misery, Carrie, The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Green Mile, The Long Walk, etc.

Tommyknockers is probably his worst book.
Yeah, OMG did you pick the wrong books. Tommyknockers is shit and pretty much anything he's written since Gerald's Game is shit.

I consider Firestarter the beginning of King's* career and Gerald's Game the "end" of King's career (which was the first of a series of something like 4 half-assed novels he pumped out in one year, along with Dolores Claiborne). What you want to read is the stuff in the middle of that span, this is the really good shit.

That's where stuff like Pet Semetary Salem's Lot, the Stand, the short stories in Night Shift and Skeleton Crew, the first Bachman books (which is where the aforementioned Long Walk is from), Cujo, Misery, Christine, Needful Things, The Talisman and some of his other best work lives.

One of my favorite is the CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED Eyes of the Dragon.

*= Yes, I know technically The Stand came out before Firestarter however I didn't get it till the re-release, and that is the only version available now so...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I forgot that I did read Eyes of the Dragon. A friend from school recommended it to me since it was much more of a fantasy book. Maybe his style just isn't for me because it didn't really impact me enough to remember I read it until you mentioned it.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I forgot that I did read Eyes of the Dragon. A friend from school recommended it to me since it was much more of a fantasy book. Maybe his style just isn't for me because it didn't really impact me enough to remember I read it until you mentioned it.
Yeah I'll echo other's here, Tommyknockers truly was one of his worst books period. The Stand was amazing, I also liked Needful Things and the short story collections, King is very hit or miss to be honest, the guy is also quite just fucking weird IRL to begin with.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Yeah I'll echo other's here, Tommyknockers truly was one of his worst books period. The Stand was amazing, I also liked Needful Things and the short story collections, King is very hit or miss to be honest, the guy is also quite just fucking weird IRL to begin with.
It's funny, I didn't like Tommyknockers when it was released and I re-read it about a year ago and it is one of his better books. Creepy stuff going on, aliens and really good characters. It's a bit wandering because it was written during his cocaine/drug addict years, but it's one of his better books.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Stephen King is prolific, so not every story he has written is going to be a winner.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Exodus
Evil Dead

Eye of the dragon was the first book I've read of his, followed by the stand, green mile, dark tower, IT, shawshank, etc.

Tommy Knockers isn't one of his best works, I wouldn't consider it terrible because it had things going for it but it was just missing that something that made it feel complete.

Green Mile will always have a place on my shelf it's the shawshank of my book shelf. Weird as that sounds.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Insomnia's politics really spoiled me on him as well but maybe I'll give him another shot. My wife is a big fan of his so our shelves are loaded with his books, including a lot of the ones you've all mentioned.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Insomnia's politics really spoiled me on him as well but maybe I'll give him another shot. My wife is a big fan of his so our shelves are loaded with his books, including a lot of the ones you've all mentioned.
His politics are garbage, always have been, another rich liberal who'd rather everyone else pay for everything.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Steven King's books seem to start good, and then most of them veer off into the same plot. Take The Stand for example. People getting the flu and suddenly start dying, so good story about the apocalyptic disease? Oh no, it's about a demon. OK, well how about Cell? Another great apocalyptic novel about phones causing people to die but... oh yeah, it becomes a story about a demon. Almost every book of his does this. Even the Dark Tower series is all about chasing a demon. Sometimes he changes it up, but for the most part it seems like he has only one idea he constantly recycles with a different setup each time.

I like his short stories best because he doesn't have time to turn them into demon narratives. The Long Walk? Excellent. Running man? Langoliers? The Jaunt? Loved them. "Skeleton Crew" had a bunch of really great stories, including my all time favorite The Mist. Is it any wonder his best movie is Creepshow?

I haven't read a book of his recently, though. After reading his tweets and stuff, I don't know if I can without reading his politics into them and that will not be enjoyable to me. I wish authors would quit doing that. It's like they want to lose their audience.

Last edited by PacerDawn; 06-14-2019 at 05:02 PM..
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
One of my favorite is the CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED Eyes of the Dragon.
Hmm, maybe I'll have to read it again, but that is actually my least favorite book by King. It was a fantasy story he wrote for his young daughter, basically a children's version of "The Dark Tower". The flow didn't work for me from what I can remember (it's been many years since I read it, so this may not be completely accurate), it was extremely awkward.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Steven King's books seem to start good, and then most of them veer off into the same plot. Take The Stand for example. People getting the flu and suddenly start dying, so good story about the apocalyptic disease? Oh no, it's about a demon.
A guy named Robert McCammon wrote a book similar to The Stand called "Swan Song" but had a much different take on how people ended up on the good or bad side but still had the supernatural element. I enjoyed it quite a lot, maybe even more than The Stand.

Thing to remember while The Stand was technically one King's first books the world of the the Gunslinger is what he always had at the nexus of his books which is why the Man in Black or some demon always seems to show up as the bad guy.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
A guy named Robert McCammon wrote a book similar to The Stand called "Swan Song" but had a much different take on how people ended up on the good or bad side but still had the supernatural element. I enjoyed it quite a lot, maybe even more than The Stand.

Thing to remember while The Stand was technically one King's first books the world of the the Gunslinger is what he always had at the nexus of his books which is why the Man in Black or some demon always seems to show up as the bad guy.
Swan Song is one of my favorite books of all time. I've read nearly every McCammon book.

Some other fantastic ones:

Usher's Passing
Mystery Walk
Boys Life

Fantastic books. McCammon is outstanding.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
Azzy
Cthulian

Stinger and They Thirst!
It's ugly how closely The Strain parallels They Thirst.

King has his moments. He gets a little self-important sure, but who amongst us wouldn't with his clout? I'd be spouting my mouth off about everything from how shitty capers are to how at least every other world leader can get a fucking haircut right.

His books switch over to a greater evil because that's his genre. If he were to only write about a virus being a virus that'd be boring as shit. Everybody out there does that. His world always has something going on behind the scenes and you're either in for that or you're not, like black licorice or anal.

I'd say that he started missing more than hitting after he cleaned up, The Dome and all that stuff is trash compared to Cujo and It and even most of his Bachman stuff, like The Long Walk, or hell, The Mist. The Mist is a ferociously fun short story that if any of you haven't read it, read it. But lately, meh. He's very strongly meh.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:50 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Stephen King’s best writing is found in his short stories and novellas. His books are almost as inconsistent as P.K. Dick, and in most cases less interesting. I hated The Stand and loved Dr. Bloodmoney.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor sleep