Platform: PS4,Xbox One, PC
Platform Reviewed: PS4
Developer: Avalanche Studios
Publisher: Bethesda
MSRP: $59.99
Writer: Aaron Birch

Rage 2 Review

You've got pink on you

Whilst I found it to be a decent game, there was no escaping the disappointment of the original Rage. We were promised a huge, open world with vehicles and non-linear missions, a sandbox wasteland where we could fulfil our Mad Max fantasies in a twisted apocalypse. However, the game we got was far from that lofty ambition, and was an overly linear romp with a much smaller world than we had expected. Still, it looked great, played well, and was a decent start to what could have become a big name franchise, except it lay dormant for just under 10 years. As the company has already done with Wolfenstein and Doom, Bethesda is now bringing back this id title, and Rage 2 is the result.

This time helmed by Avalanche studios, which created, rather fittingly, the 2015 Mad Max video game, not to mention the popular Just Cause series, Rage 2 is, thankfully, much more in line with the game id originally promised back before the original arrived.

Rage 2 is a proper sequel to the first game, set after the events of the debut outing, and following the events of that release, the world has become once again threatened by the evil Authority. You play one of the last Rangers, a kind of law enforcement that uses the cutting edge technology of the Arks, the special cryo pods that held survivors of the old world before the impact of asteroid 99942 Apophis. However, once your home settlement is invaded by the Authority and destroyed, you're left as the only Ranger, and embark on a wasteland-spanning mission to defeat the Authority and its tyrannical leader, General Cross.

Very much a by the numbers open world FPS, the core of Rage 2 isn't all that original, with a large open world spanning various environment types, and a collections of weapons and vehicles to find and upgrade. There are story missions to advance the plot, as well as a large number of side quests, enemy bases, roadblocks, and other diversions. It's all very Far Cry in a way, but thanks to the great visual style, slick presentation, and the sci-fi, Mad Max-style setting, it does enough to make itself stand out.

Features like your super-powered talking car, cool weapons, and exciting challenges, such as the convoy attacks, as well as the generous amount of super powers you can learn and use in battles really make Rage 2 what it is. Indeed, it has some of the most thrilling and satisfying combat in any FPS, with a fluid mixture of traditional, Destiny-like shooting, super-powered abilities, and seamless transition from vehicle to on foot. Using your trusty rifle to pop heads at range before jumping into the air and power slamming into a group of foes, gibs ahoy, and then finishing the rest off with shotgun blasts to the face is not only genuinely easy to pull of, but it's also a ton of fun, and that's really where Rage 2 nails it – it's fun.

There's even a very enjoyable racing component featured in the game, and a combat game show, both presented with some real spit and polish. The world is very well fleshed out, with definite style and high quality artistic design.

It's so easy to get lost in the quagmire of more realistic shooters around, or releases that pander only to the online crowd. Rage 2 doesn't do this, and it presents a beefy, solo adventure that hits all the right notes, never taking itself too seriously, and always willing to step over the line to the absurd if it helps deliver more enjoyment to the player. Your car, for example, is ridiculously OP, especially when you upgrade it, and in any other game, it would be nerfed to balance things out. Here that's not the case, and the game just says, “here are the keys, go have fun.”

That's not to say Rage 2 is easy, though. Sure, on the easier levels it offers little challenge, but crank it up to hard or nightmare, and you'll have a fairly steep challenge to tackle, all in one of the most colourful and vibrant apocalyptic wastelands you've ever seen.

It does make a few missteps, of course. The side missions can get very repetitive, just like Far Cry's endless base clearances, or region take overs, and other than a couple of standouts, including your trusty car, most of the vehicles in the game really aren't that useful, and you'll find yourself sticking to the same couple of options for the majority.

Rage 2 is one of those games that might not make it as a game of the year contender, but its a very solid and highly enjoyable shooter nonetheless, and one that I have no problem recommending to those who are looking for an FPS that has a little more personality and sense of fun than most.

Score: 4 out of 5

The Good
  • Brilliant combat mechanics
  • LArge, well-designed, and varied world
  • Vehicle and on foot mixed just right
The Bad
  • Fairly trite story
  • A lot of repetition
The Ugly
  • Mutie scum
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I was a little disappointed with this one. After DOOM and Mad Max, I thought this one would be a slam-dunk to be another AAA shooter. Instead it falls pretty short and is super repetitive. I think there is still some fun to be had if you like the style of those open-world "clear all the bases" shooters, but I would certainly be waiting for a huge price drop before buying.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I want the game, I do, but as you said I'm not willing to throw a full load of cash at the game.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
I want the game, I do, but as you said I'm not willing to throw a full load of cash at the game.
The videos sold me on the game and I purchased it for full price and now I'm wishing I waited.

Like the review says, there is a lot of fun to have there and you can play it like Bulletstorm and just get crazy with the kills if you want to.

What I think really lost it for me was the vehicles just aren't that much fun to drive. After Mad Max, I was expecting them to turn up the vehicle-to-vehicle combat to 11 and give us something more like Interstate '76 and instead the vehicles are mostly just the tool you use to get from base to base.

I still have no idea why no developer has ever made a decent car-to-car combat game. Car Wars is out there just begging to be made into a game.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I'm glad you liked it. I like it, too.

Not sure why it's getting hated on, because it's fun!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The videos sold me on the game and I purchased it for full price and now I'm wishing I waited.

Like the review says, there is a lot of fun to have there and you can play it like Bulletstorm and just get crazy with the kills if you want to.

What I think really lost it for me was the vehicles just aren't that much fun to drive. After Mad Max, I was expecting them to turn up the vehicle-to-vehicle combat to 11 and give us something more like Interstate '76 and instead the vehicles are mostly just the tool you use to get from base to base.

I still have no idea why no developer has ever made a decent car-to-car combat game. Car Wars is out there just begging to be made into a game.
There was the janky Carmageddon reboot a few years back that took forever to be considered playable on anything other than top of the line PCs. I think the devs lost a ton of money and just to stay open ended up selling the Carmageddon property again after fighting for over a decade to get back their creation.

A Vigilante 8 reboot might be cool.

There is a weird pseudo turn based 3D Car Wars type game in the works now. I’ll post a youtube vid when I remember what the hell it was called.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

I really liked Twisted Metal in my early teenage days
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I still load up Twisted Metal 2 once in a while these days. It's still the best car combat game I've ever played and it's a shame that someone hasn't done an HD remake of it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
steved
Evil Dead

The combat in Rage2 is pretty fun, but it's the same gameplay from start to finish. I mostly used the machine gun weapon most of the time, even thou I had explicitly collected every weapon from the arks.

Vehicle handling is catastrophic.

The open world design is crap. Small "encounter camps" spread around the world are usually fun, but there's no real motivation to do them at all.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Antdude
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
There was the janky Carmageddon reboot a few years back that took forever to be considered playable on anything other than top of the line PCs. I think the devs lost a ton of money and just to stay open ended up selling the Carmageddon property again after fighting for over a decade to get back their creation.

A Vigilante 8 reboot might be cool.

There is a weird pseudo turn based 3D Car Wars type game in the works now. I’ll post a youtube vid when I remember what the hell it was called.
I'd also nominate Interstate 76 as a fun driving experience. Hell, the multi-player was a blast and half the time I played, we didn't bother shooting at each other, but worked on doing insane car stunts on some of the more out-there maps.

It makes the disappointment of driving in Rage 2 that much more keen. Could have been so much better.
I didn't buy R2 expecting a great story, I just wanted a good shooter, and I mostly got it. When you roll up on the bigger river rat settlements, it can be lots of fun to blast your way through them. Admittedly, it gets a lot better as you gain weapons and new abilities with them(which could have been explained a lot better, as well). Overall, I'm hoping that, with time and more fine-tuning and content, it could still be a great game.
Antdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rage 2