Speedcross Update Coming...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 12:05 PM
2 Replies, 414 Views

Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Super Mario Odyssey Reviews

The Super Mario Odyssey reviews are coming in, and all of them are looking very positive.
Quote:
Nintendo Life 100
Showcasing incredible design and development flair. It's also a wonderful showcase for the Switch, and could introduce a whole new audience to the wonders of Mario in three dimensions. For the veterans among us, it's yet another special release to remind us of why Mario is still gaming's number one.

Destructoid 95
Nintendo's streak of quality still remains unbroken with Super Mario Odyssey.

*Destructoid's site seems to be having issues this morning. Link to review will be posted once available

EGM 100
A mix of the nostalgic, the fantastical, and the wonderfully bizarre, Mario's latest adventure provides more than a dozen tantalizing playgrounds to explore. With hundreds of collectibles, Kingdoms full of delightful details, and secrets waiting around every corner, Super Mario Odyssey is bound to keep players exploring long after the credits roll.

GameSpot 100
Mario's latest outing is big, bold, and bursting with new ideas, and like Breath of the Wild, is another instance of Nintendo going above and beyond to redefine our expectations. It's a shining example of refined creativity, and another crown jewel for Switch that is without equal.

Edge Magazine 100
Like Breath of the Wild, Odyssey is a new entry in a long-running series that belies its age with sprightly invention, taking big risks with an established formula, and having all of them pay off handsomely. Mario might be getting on a bit, then, but a dinosaur? This astonishing adventure proves he's anything but. [Dec 2017, p.98]

IGN 97
One of those games that you have to play without doubt. Fun, deep, full of secrets and beautiful. Nintendo has done it again, and now we all love Mario in every possible form
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Really? I doubt its good enough to get those high scores unless its comparing it against the games that are already on the switch. Sounds like someone is scared to say something negative because of the fanboy backlash. The new Zelda is good.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Holy crap!

They STILL got it.

GOTY?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Really? I doubt its good enough to get those high scores unless its comparing it against the games that are already on the switch. Sounds like someone is scared to say something negative because of the fanboy backlash. The new Zelda is good.
That's what Nintendo pessimists said about Zelda: BotW when record breaking reviews started to roll in. Nintendo really is working hard lately to reinvigorate their franchises. They're taking more risks and putting in more effort. I'm not surprised by those scores at all. Just look at the gameplay. Looks silky smooth, and turning into anything looks like a blast. The high praise is a good thing. Good games are good for all of us gamers. Even if that particular game doesn't interest you, just look at BotW. Elements of that game will likely influence open world games in a number of positive ways going forward.

"Destructoid 95
Nintendo's streak of quality still remains unbroken with Super Mario Odyssey."

It's really hard to deny that when Nintendo puts in the work, and really goes for it, they're about as good as it gets when it comes to manufacturing fun games. It's easy to take that for granted because they've been doing it for so long, but when I look back at the wasteland of mediocrity in the video game space, I'm glad Ninty is still around.

I'll have to get it. Another fantastic game to play this year. I'm not complaining. Between Zelda, Mario, and Divinity Original Sin 2 alone, (and a few other great ones) it's been a really good year for my hobby.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 10-26-2017 at 08:08 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
That's what Nintendo pessimists said about Zelda: BotW when record breaking reviews started to roll in. Nintendo really is working hard lately to reinvigorate their franchises. They're taking more risks and putting in more effort. I'm not surprised by those scores at all. It's a good thing. It's good for all of us gamers.

I'll have to get it. Another fantastic game to play this year. I'm not complaining. Between Zelda, Mario, and Divinity Original Sin 2 alone, (and a few other great ones) it's been a really good year for my hobby.
Let me preface by saying that I genuinely like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has knocked shit out of the park this year. I'm not saying they aren't without faults (3rd party... sales... production...), but it seems that with the Switch, they are back on track with their greatest feature: Nintendo makes fun games.

I've been excited for months to play Super Mario Odyssey & by the sound of it, it's right up there with the rest of the 'great' Mario games.

There is something almost timeless about Mario... maybe it's because I was a kid & liked playing & the gaming elements of the franchise have stayed relevant... I don't know.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong about anything. I find that builds character. That said... I do believe that if you didn't enjoy playing Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine... you are akin to a person who would say 'Pink Floyd music sucks'. You may not know enough to know what you don't know. I realize that impressions of games are subject to opinion... but every goodamn one of us was a child at one point. When you were a kid, you probably would have liked Super Mario Whatever Surprise. Play the game & have fun with it, then put your armor back on.

The EVAV user WittyNickName is my hero. He plays EVERYTHING no matter what genre.

And what Patrick said...

This year has been just awesome for gaming. SO many great games this year - great time to be a gamer.

I have to give Divinity another shot - it didn't click the first go.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
Let me preface by saying that I genuinely like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has knocked shit out of the park this year. I'm not saying they aren't without faults (3rd party... sales... production...), but it seems that with the Switch, they are back on track with their greatest feature: Nintendo makes fun games.

I've been excited for months to play Super Mario Odyssey & by the sound of it, it's right up there with the rest of the 'great' Mario games.

There is something almost timeless about Mario... maybe it's because I was a kid & liked playing & the gaming elements of the franchise have stayed relevant... I don't know.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong about anything. I find that builds character. That said... I do believe that if you didn't enjoy playing Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine... you are akin to a person who would say 'Pink Floyd sucks'.

The EVAV user WittyNickName is my hero. He plays EVERYTHING no matter what genre.

And what Patrick said...

This year has been just awesome for gaming. SO many great games this year - great time to be a gamer.

I have to give Divinity another shot - it didn't click the first go.
Yah, and you know, a pocket of people out there will say Pink Floyd sucks, just to say it. When it's actually entirely impossible. Pink Floyd is something that transcends taste and flavor. It's like Superman 64 or ET for Atari. Everyone in the world knows those are terrible games. They're so bad, they go beyond taste. No one in their right mind would argue otherwise unless it's just for the sake of arguing otherwise. Mario is like that on the other end of the spectrum. Anyone who says Pink Floyd or Mario sucks is just deluding themselves for ...reasons.

On Divinity, it's a bit niche. Not everyone is going to love a great cRPG. I'm a huge fan of cRPGs going back to the Baldur's Gate games, and games like Icewind Dale. But the trick to Divinity is getting into your class and class building, enjoying the narrative and the open world/experimenting. There's 5-6 ways to do just about anything in that game. Also, it's made even better with co-op! Personally it's one of my favorite games of the year, but it's a cRPG, so the pacing is a little slow at times.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Miyamoto is the GOAT
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yah, and you know, a pocket of people out there will say Pink Floyd sucks, just to say it. When it's actually entirely impossible. Pink Floyd is something that transcends taste and flavor. It's like Superman 64 or ET for Atari. Everyone in the world knows those are terrible games. They're so bad, they go beyond taste. No one in their right mind would argue otherwise unless it's just for the sake of arguing otherwise. Mario is like that on the other end of the spectrum. Anyone who says Pink Floyd or Mario sucks is just deluding themselves for ...reasons.

On Divinity, it's a bit niche. Not everyone is going to love a great cRPG. I'm a huge fan of cRPGs going back to the Baldur's Gate games, and games like Icewind Dale. But the trick to Divinity is getting into your class and class building, enjoying the narrative and the open world/experimenting. There's 5-6 ways to do just about anything in that game. Also, it's made even better with co-op! Personally it's one of my favorite games of the year, but it's a cRPG, so the pacing is a little slow at times.
The funny thing is... I also LOVED Baldurs Gate... All of them. I read the Avatar Trilogy ffs, long before the games where dreamt. I was a bit if a nerd growing up, like many of the cats on this site. Dragon Age Origins... Fallout 1+2... Ultima Underworld... Great games. I don't know why it hasn't clicked! I wish it would. Gonna give it another whirl when I'm looking for something to mess around with. Maybe coming out of playing PoE has me burnt out on epic RPGs... I can't say. I like them very much, but just felt it was missing something. Maybe I am missing something, instead.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

But pink Floyd Does suck. Taste is subjective. Both camps can be right Mario can be a very good game and still be overhyped/ too highly scored by reviewers because of the fan boys.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
But pink Floyd Does suck. Taste is subjective. Both camps can be right Mario can be a very good game and still be overhyped/ too highly scored by reviewers because of the fan boys.
cuz. of. the. fanboys.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #11
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

The hell? IGN gave it 10/10 not 97.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Juan
Evil Dead

I just hope Spectral doesn't disappoint in this thread. I'm hoping he covers everything - 'outdated' hardware, shit gameplay and paid for shill reviewers.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Honestly...this is kind of a bummer for Wolfenstein II... cuz I want both games...but really, I'm only going to get Mario Odyssey...
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I just hope Spectral doesn't disappoint in this thread. I'm hoping he covers everything - 'outdated' hardware, shit gameplay and paid for shill reviewers.
Oh, give it time. I'm sure his asshole is puckering as we speak.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

FAKE NEWS!

lol...
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Looking forward to playing this after work tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

My projector just died on me over the weekend, and I do not have a spare display. So I even though I will be getting Mario Odyssey on Friday, I will likely not be playing it anytime soon.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Naw I saw it coming. It's a Mario title of course all the progressive leaning game reviewers are going to overly highball it, just like Zelda, with it's terrible weapon mechanics, bland visuals etc. I'm not Nintendo's audience anymore that's been obvious for a long time now and won't change. It is however interesting to me that Nintendo gets passes in places where no other developer/publisher would.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post

I would assume its going to be graded against Mario 64 and Galaxy. Fanboy backlash i could understand but up until 6 months ago Hating Nintendo was all the rage.

These scores make me happy.
Hey spec, you should get a Switch and play a real game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
But pink Floyd Does suck.

The Division Bell does not suck. I don't care who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Honestly...this is kind of a bummer for Wolfenstein II... cuz I want both games...but really, I'm only going to get Mario Odyssey...
Get Mario, Muh Murder Your Own Bloodline Nazi Shooter #234 will be $4 in the bargain bin in 5 months.

Last edited by blackzc; 10-26-2017 at 11:42 AM..
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
shadow763
Lord of Woe

They should make a more powerful Switch. Like they did with the 3DS.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mario, nintendo, super mario, super mario odyssey, switch