32 Replies, 1,490 Views
Join Disintegrationís...
Last post by MavenACTG
Today 01:05 AM
2 Replies, 285 Views

Old 03-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #61
Anemone
Evil Dead

Something I thought about today, if the Switch is an absolute break-out hit, as it appears to be thus far, this has entirely leveraged ALL OF NINTENDO'S STRENGTHS, and thus what possible answer could Sony or MS have to the Switch?

When the Wii came out, these two were pulled in the direction of motion controls, Sony released the Sixaxis for instance, MS began working seriously on their Kinect motion-control system, etc.

But now, with the Switch, in what possible way can these two blunt its success?

Neither Sony nor MS can release and handheld-console combo, they simply aren't positioned for it, and it's counter their marketing of being the most powerful console with the best graphics, etc.

Nintendo took an old Tegra X1 from 2015, DOWNCLOCKED IT, and turned it into a popular modern console via taking a big risk with their convergence strategy.

I am so happy that Nintendo has got its groove back with the Switch, and hoping this translates into a lot of future success for the Big-N.

Switch-2, or w/e they call it, has a chance to be absolutely huge in a way that the Wii failed to achieve.

Maybe it's a bit too early to say this, but unlike the Wii, I don't see any major weaknesses in this offering. And in another important way, the Switch is a matured version of the Wii itself.

And this success, I argue, also positions Nintendo to enter the mass-market VR market better than other consoles, because if it continues perfecting the mobile-console, mob-sole? it can do a Gear-VR style system--it already has the motion controls built in at 1:1.

Imagine a Switch-2, using a more modern Tegra with a 4k screen, now strapped to your head--battery enabled, no wires.

It probably won't happen, but it's an opportunity the other two don't quite have.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #62
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Your sig should tell you everything. You really don't need me to. Nintendo has been losing money since the N64, their profits are based on taking shortcuts and cheaping out on hardware every where they can and by being extremely lucky with handhelds. Without that luck with handhelds and the casuals buying the first Wii. They'd be out of the industry already.

If some of you would look at the larger picture, you'd realize that the Japanese video game market itself is not in great shape, not just Nintendo.
Yes bro, Nintendo suckered old people and normies into buying the Wii. The DS was nothing more than a gimmick, that for some reason morons bought and still continue to do so. They are officially doomed, now that the casual market has been milked they have no way to make money.

I don't know about you but i want to play Pokemon on the PC. Imagine pikmin with mouse controls.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #63
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Something I thought about today, if the Switch is an absolute break-out hit, as it appears to be thus far, this has entirely leveraged ALL OF NINTENDO'S STRENGTHS, and thus what possible answer could Sony or MS have to the Switch?

When the Wii came out, these two were pulled in the direction of motion controls, Sony released the Sixaxis for instance, MS began working seriously on their Kinect motion-control system, etc.

But now, with the Switch, in what possible way can these two blunt its success?

Neither Sony nor MS can release and handheld-console combo, they simply aren't positioned for it, and it's counter their marketing of being the most powerful console with the best graphics, etc.

Nintendo took an old Tegra X1 from 2015, DOWNCLOCKED IT, and turned it into a popular modern console via taking a big risk with their convergence strategy.

I am so happy that Nintendo has got its groove back with the Switch, and hoping this translates into a lot of future success for the Big-N.

Switch-2, or w/e they call it, has a chance to be absolutely huge in a way that the Wii failed to achieve.

Maybe it's a bit too early to say this, but unlike the Wii, I don't see any major weaknesses in this offering. And in another important way, the Switch is a matured version of the Wii itself.

And this success, I argue, also positions Nintendo to enter the mass-market VR market better than other consoles, because if it continues perfecting the mobile-console, mob-sole? it can do a Gear-VR style system--it already has the motion controls built in at 1:1.

Imagine a Switch-2, using a more modern Tegra with a 4k screen, now strapped to your head--battery enabled, no wires.

It probably won't happen, but it's an opportunity the other two don't quite have.
Dude, I'm really enjoying my Switch, but it's way too early for this talk. The only reason I'm enjoying it so much, is because of an excellent game - Zelda. When I'm done with that, then what? Couldn't care less about Arms or Splatoon. Already played my fill of MK8 on WiiU. So I don't know of anything interesting until the new Mario in the Fall. I'm contemplating buying The Binding of Isaac for the 4th time on Switch just to have something else to play.

I'm happy with the quality and multiple uses of the Switch, but like usual it's all about the games. If they start getting all the cool Japanese stuff that's been on the 3DS combined with their 1st party then that'll at least keep it interesting for me, but I don't know about the mass market.

Unless I'm missing something, there isn't an interesting game coming until the Fall. That kind of sucks. I'm sure things will improve over the years, but this first year looks to be tough.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #64
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Lol wigging out to 6 people blindly defending Nintendo? Clearly you really don't understand how words and statements work. You're pathetic.
I'm seriously curious... what wouldn't constitute "blindly defending Nintendo"? Evil avatar bought my own personal Wii. I have half a mind to invite Evil himself to join my exclusive club just to see you call him a batshit lunatic Nintendo zealot.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #65
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
When I'm done with that, then what?
Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing, clearly a must-play and how Nintendo plans to blow-out this holiday season.

Mariokart 8 port is completely new to me, haven't played a Mariokart since, I believe, the Gamecube era?

Let's try this:

Of those games, Seasons of Heaven looks promising, until we see more what it's about.

Not really interested in Bomberman or Splatoon.

RiME looks promising.

Sonic is meh.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, just might be sweet.

Yooka Laylee looks goof for anyone looking for that Rare golden-era nostalgia. I'm down for that one.

Dragon Quest Xi, just no, no, so bad. Who did the music for this trailer, it's so out of place. Super happy manic carnival music while slowly walking a horse by a waterfall--no.

The Sacred Hero, sure. Will give it a shot to prove itself.

Arms looks decent.

Shin megami Tensei. Uh... no thanks.

We can also expect the NS's online game-marketplace to heat up rapidly with this many people buying the console.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #66
Anemone
Evil Dead

There's also the region-free-ness. Means we can tap the crazy Japanese games market:

Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #67
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

And when the Japanese portion of the industry goes the way of Bally/Williams/Midway to slot and gambling machines, I'm curious what those who feel everything is sunshine and puppies are going to feel.
No more Capcom, or Konami, or Tecmo or Nintendo.

Like I said it's quite obvious that there's plenty of folks who really don't follow not only the history of the industry, but truly realize the current state of it.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #68
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

Like I said it's quite obvious that there's plenty of folks who really don't follow not only the history of the industry, but truly realize the current state of it.
I've followed the history of video games for more than 25 years. Its been an interest for me since i was 13 year old reading Quaterman in EGM in like 1989. Here is some truth you might not want to hear.

The truth is Nintendo is in just as good of a spot as SONY is. If not better. If Nintendo brings the games (they can do this at any time) and the switch starts selling like the Wii, they can literally put SONY out of business next gen. Sony has so much overhead they are treading water with 50 million PS4s sold.

Sony has to sell 50+million consoles to stay in business. Nintendo does not.

Who is really in trouble here? As for Konami, Tecmo and Capcom. Nintendo will end up buying them right before they shutter to get their IP's and talent.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #69
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing, clearly a must-play and how Nintendo plans to blow-out this holiday season.

Mariokart 8 port is completely new to me, haven't played a Mariokart since, I believe, the Gamecube era?
Mario Kart 8 is like Diablo 3, you can play it for years and years. Deluxe looks to fix the battle mode debacle.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #70
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
I've followed the history of video games for more than 25 years. Its been an interest for me since i was 13 year old reading Quaterman in EGM in like 1989. Here is some truth you might not want to hear.

The truth is Nintendo is in just as good of a spot as SONY is. If not better. If Nintendo brings the games (they can do this at any time) and the switch starts selling like the Wii, they can literally put SONY out of business next gen. Sony has so much overhead they are treading water with 50 million PS4s sold.

Sony has to sell 50+million consoles to stay in business. Nintendo does not.

Who is really in trouble here? As for Konami, Tecmo and Capcom. Nintendo will end up buying them right before they shutter to get their IP's and talent.
I realize Sony is in trouble as well, and think about it bro, if Nintendo has to cut corners the way they have been the last few cycles, they're in no position to buy anyone. The Japanese portion of the industry is in trouble, as is a good portion of NA as well.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 PM   #71
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
if Nintendo has to cut corners the way they have been the last few cycles
They didn't have to, it's part of their strategy. They could be out there competing with Sony and MS, but why bother when they can make a lot more money doing what they're doing now.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #72
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
I realize Sony is in trouble as well, and think about it bro, if Nintendo has to cut corners the way they have been the last few cycles, they're in no position to buy anyone. The Japanese portion of the industry is in trouble, as is a good portion of NA as well.
You do know that Nintendo flat out has cash because they have practically no debt. Nintendo can fart out WiiU's as many times as they want.
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #73
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They didn't have to, it's part of their strategy. They could be out there competing with Sony and MS, but why bother when they can make a lot more money doing what they're doing now.
You don't know that, hell a few days ago you called the N64 successful likely not knowing in it's generation it sold 3rd worse out of 4 competitors on the market at the time.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 AM   #74
Anemone
Evil Dead

Nintendo made money on the N64 bro.

As for their strategy, it's not to go head to head with the other two by focusing on their "Disney of gaming" market for kids and family-friendly gaming.

By serving a segment of the market the other two don't want, and a segment that literally doesn't care about specs. It's brilliant.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 AM   #75
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

As for their strategy, it's not to go head to head with the other two by focusing on their "Disney of gaming" market for kids and family-friendly gaming.

By serving a segment of the market the other two don't want, and a segment that literally doesn't care about specs. It's brilliant.
Likely because they can't afford to. Sony sold through 2 million units of a single title in 2 weeks, Nintendo refuses to even manufacturer that number of units when it comes to new hardware. Never mind that they're obviously too cheap to go bleeding edge on tech.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 AM   #76
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Likely because they can't afford to.
You keep claiming you know the industry, but you don't even know Nintendo's financial position? I'm not sure how you could even miss it, I barely care and I know:

Nintendo has enough cash in the bank to run a deficit for 38 years ...

Quote:
Sony sold through 2 million units of a single title in 2 weeks, Nintendo refuses to even manufacturer that number of units when it comes to new hardware.
You're comparing apples to oranges, so your point barely counts--newly launched console against PS4's 50 million installed.

Nintendo didn't know how much demand they'd find. They do now. Surely they're ramping production to some degree.

Quote:
Never mind that they're obviously too cheap to go bleeding edge on tech.
Cheap has nothing to do with it, it's their strategy. Their strategy does not allow for a max-tech product, kids and families won't pay for it, and their console price would have to go way up.

They sold Switch at $300, that's a golden price-point. At $400, the Switch probably wouldn't have sold out at all.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #77
Anemone
Evil Dead

Here's a more recent article, they still have $4.6 billion in the bank.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ni...-billion-bank/
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #78
Wolfe
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Cheap has nothing to do with it, it's their strategy. Their strategy does not allow for a max-tech product, kids and families won't pay for it, and their console price would have to go way up.

They sold Switch at $300, that's a golden price-point. At $400, the Switch probably wouldn't have sold out at all.
And over here in the UK... Playstation 4, 1TB model - £248, XBox One 1TB model - £254...... Nintendo Switch? £280...
Yeah given the choice and not wanting to pay through the nose for a "max tech product"? Families over here will get the PS4 or Xbox One because it is cheaper, has a mass of games on & offline and all the friends of kids & parents already have them. Plus.. Zelda? Heh £68 quid :-/ that's £20-£25 more than most new titles on the other consoles.

So yeah... cheap shitty hardware, priced out of the market over here.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #79
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:

Shin megami Tensei. Uh... no thanks.

We can also expect the NS's online game-marketplace to heat up rapidly with this many people buying the console.
Yeah I watched that video, and it's slim pickings. I may get Sonic depending on how it turns out, and I always like the craziness of the Shin Megami Tensei games, although I've never completed one.

Seasons of Heaven looks like a cross between the Witness and Brothers.....and potentially boring. But I'll keep my eye on it.

Still, I see no sure bets or buys except Mario. Not trying to hate on the Switch, since I have one and enjoy it, but I'm just not seeing many games yet. Hope that changes.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #80
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:

Disney of gaming is exactly what I have been calling Nintendo lately. They have embraced Disney's shitty practices.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mindtribe, nintendo, switch, teardown