Support Evil Avatar -...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 08:12 PM
7 Replies, 549 Views

Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
randir14
Subscriber

What Happened to Dark Millennium?

Back in March THQ announced that development on Vigil's Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online MMO had ceased and it would be reworked into a single player game. Today Kotaku asked the company for news on the title and THQ's responses seem to indicate that the fate of the game either rests in Vigil's hands, or may have even been canceled completely.

Quote:
KOTAKU: OK, so you're saying the game was cancelled, not turned into a single-player game? I just want to get this as clear as possible so our readers understand what's going on and know whether or not to expect a single-player Dark Millenium game coming from Vigil at any point in the future.

THQ PR: I'm saying we have made any announcements about what the resulting game would be, if any. There's nothing to share until Vigil is ready to announce its next project.
Read more

You can also go here to read a blog post from the game's former lead writer who gives his version of events.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
THQ PR: I'm saying we have made any announcements about what the resulting game would be, if any. There's nothing to share until Vigil is ready to announce its next project.
I'm assuming that is supposed to say "we have not made any".

Unfortunately this story is not surprising at all but it still sucks a mile of dicks. Big fan of the WH40K universe so I was really looking forward to trying out any version of Dark Millennium they could get out of the gate.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I enjoyed Space Marine for what it was and I would certainly have purchase a sequel or this title. I think they are selling themselves short if they don't focus on more Warhammer 40K games. It has the potential to be the next Gears of War.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
zeonxavier
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I enjoyed Space Marine for what it was and I would certainly have purchase a sequel or this title. I think they are selling themselves short if they don't focus on more Warhammer 40K games. It has the potential to be the next Gears of War.
Agreed. If nothing else, there's good money in going turn-based, if Games Workshop lets them do such a thing. X-Com proved it, and 40K would be the ultimate licensed property for turn-based gamers.
zeonxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Steve_Erhardt
Pancake Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Agreed 1,000%. I was looking forward to the MMO because, hey, it's 40K and THQ had proven they would publish quality work for 40K, but I was actually happy when they said DM wouldn't be an MMO after all. A single-player game, IMO was far and away a better idea... I just couldn't see how they'd really manifest the grimdark of 40K in an MMO environment.

I hope once all the bankruptcy an acqcuisition dust settles, they can get back on track for 40K stuff. Still more armies to be added to DoW II, Space Marine multiplayer could definitely use another injection of freshness (needs an "Assault" mode ala Unreal), and of course I most assuredly don't want to see Dark Millennium fade away to nothingness.
Steve_Erhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark millennium, thq, vigil