Last post by Azrael
Today 04:44 AM
8 Replies, 701 Views

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/vi...-says-goodbye/

Quote:
Vigil Games Lead Combat Designer Ben Cureton and the rest of the Vigil staff cleaned out the office today, after Vigil was left untouched at THQ's auction. Vigil was shuttered, and as per THQ's letter to employees, everyone working there was laid off. In a post on NeoGAF, Cureton compared the scene in the office to a silent warzone.

"The walls look bare," he wrote. "It's quiet. The seats are empty."

Vigil Games, the studio behind Darksiders 2, was working on something called Crawler, a project we first heard about in THQ's December bankruptcy filing. After two months working on Crawler, Cureton was convinced that it would blow people's minds.

"I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it did blow people away. We did, in two months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100 percent every single day, even through the dark times."

Today was one of those dark times. Cureton was taken aback when he didn't find Vigil's name on the list of purchased properties.

"Maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list," he said. "Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that."

In the end, Cureton thanked fans of the Darksiders series and promised to continue making games, having already worked in the industry 20 years.

"In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games," Cureton said. "Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 and 2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

"And with that... my seat is empty."
Kinda surprised no one jumped on buying Vigil at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
randir14
Subscriber

Sucks that they lost their jobs, but as a studio I don't feel sorry for them. They had employees on NeoGAF outright lying about certain aspects of Darksiders II, and when confronted on it they never came back to explain themselves.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

This makes no sense to me they obviously had great potential. While Darksiders wasn't amazing it was pretty damn fun. I think the crappy advertising played a part in the series not doing so well. Now watch as everyone who was scooped up gets raped and their creations bastardized with DLC, cash shops, hollowed game play and iron fisted IP control. Nintendo should step in on this opportunity...
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Homefront franchise went to Crytek for $500k. Heh. They still paid too much.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

For anyone interested this a reminder that the THQ Mega Pack is still on sale from Amazon for $24.99 which was the same that Steam offered during the Holiday sale if I remember correctly. You do get Steam keys with purchase for all games except Company of Heroes GOTY.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Why didn't Volition sell? It's simple. Execs in suits at auction didn't see any multiplayer in their past games, and didn't see a named property like South Park.

Disgusting but true.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #28
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why didn't Volition sell? It's simple. Execs in suits at auction didn't see any multiplayer in their past games, and didn't see a named property like South Park.

Disgusting but true.
Nah, MP doesn't matter as much as putting up sales numbers. Darksiders just didn't break out. Single or MP doesn't matter if it's minting a bank.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #29
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Nah, MP doesn't matter as much as putting up sales numbers. Darksiders just didn't break out. Single or MP doesn't matter if it's minting a bank.
Hmm... ok. It's hard to notice what sells and what doesn't when I buy every goddamn console game except Madden. Yeah, I even buy CoD games and then never play them. I also buy obscure ass games that sell like 10 copies, like Port Royale, Culdcept, and Agarest War. In another 20 years, I'll be Metal Jesus.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Hmm... ok. It's hard to notice what sells and what doesn't when I buy every goddamn console game except Madden. Yeah, I even buy CoD games and then never play them. I also buy obscure ass games that sell like 10 copies, like Port Royale, Culdcept, and Agarest War. In another 20 years, I'll be Metal Jesus.
Thinking anyone will care about physical collections in the future as they do with previous gens currently especially since 90% of those games are crap... Hopefully you're joking... If not stock up on two consoles of each different design reiteration for each if you want a meaningful collection. Also get the white PS3 when it's released and the Zan Datsu MGRR edition through a JP reseller. Don't forget your Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition that Namco royally fucked up on and sheisted paying customers out of. You will also need a supply of controllers and spare batteries to repair them with down the road due to built in obsolescence of all current gen hardware along with spare disc drives for each make and model. Educate yourself about hardware reflowing and balling too since it's required to fix consoles after they're actually used for a decent time.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #31
Anenome
Autarchist

I only collect things digitally now.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #32
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Vigil was not bought because they just shipped Darksiders 2, a new owner would have had to fund a new game ("Crawler") from scratch unlike Relic and Volition, where the buyer got games well into production for peanuts.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

WWE should go to EA. Before the abortion that was IDOL, Fight for NY was the best wrestling/fighting game ever. Now imagine that with a robust fully customized Arena/Char creation.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
So Relic is gonna do a Vectorman reboot?

How come you guys aren't doing one? :P
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #35
Syl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru View Post
I really hope this is true. I would LOVE platinum to acquire darksiders and the Vigil people.

Imagine Darksiders 3 with the added benefit of polish of the masters who made Bayonetta.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #36
Phhhh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The Homefront franchise went to Crytek for $500k. Heh. They still paid too much.
They were already making Homefront 2, so instead of losing all of their work they bought the IP and can now find a publisher and own the IP. Seems like the right move to me.
Phhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
bean19
Butt Stallion

THQ has Red Faction and Darksiders which I've liked but not loved and Saint's Row which is one of my favorite IPs for open-world co-op. I'm also interested in the upcoming South Park RPG.

Honestly, except for these few titles, they were the publisher that cranked out shitty movie games and some wrestling games that at least fans of wrestling enjoyed. I'm not surprised to see this happen. The people who greenlit for them were extremely risk-averse and as a result, they only had one true hit (Saint's Row).
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

You missed out on Company of Heroes, Bean. One of the best RTS series ever made. Metro 2033 was pretty great too.

I'd be interested to see if another publisher will give Red Faction a go now. THQ put a lid on the franchise after Armageddon failed to impress. Curious if someone else will be willing to risk it.

Tags
koch media, obsidian, relic, sega, south park, thq, ubisoft, volition