Last post by Terran
Yesterday 02:05 PM
14 Replies, 901 Views

Old 05-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Vampyr - Becoming the Monster Trailer

Quote:
Vampyr, the upcoming action-RPG from DONTNOD Entertainment, explores tortured protagonist Dr. Jonathan Reid’s growth in power through savage combat gameplay in today’s Becoming a Monster gameplay trailer. By sacrificing the very citizens Reid swore to protect, players will learn and evolve powerful vampire abilities in their struggle to defeat London’s deadly foes. Vampyr releases June 5 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, with preorders now available.

In Vampyr, the greatest source of XP to learn and enhance abilities comes from the blood of London’s citizens, who Dr. Jonathan Reid has set out to save from the epidemic sweeping through the city. The question is less “Do I kill?” than “Who do I kill?” Investigating citizens’ lives will allow Reid to decide who is more ‘deserving’ of sacrifice – or he can simply give in to his hunger and treat the mortals as blood bags. Either way, killing certain citizens will have a greater impact on the local ecosystem than others, while simply killing too many may cause an entire district to collapse.

After draining the blood of his victims, Reid can learn and evolve powerful combat abilities. Close combat abilities allow Reid to close gaps quickly, pouncing from afar before slashing with deadly claws, while others such as Bloodspear allow him to deal damage from a distance. At the higher levels of power, some abilities are feared by even the vampires themselves. Abyss allows Reid to unleash the shadows from within, while Rage targets and strikes entire groups of enemies with a terrible fury. Learning and evolving these abilities will aid in the doctor’s quest to save London – but at what cost?
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Exodus
Evil Dead

I still think I would have preferred a new legacy of kain.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

would have loved a blood rayne reboot or sequal, but that's never going to happen.

for their sake I hope I'm wrong, but I could care less about this, it's a game where I'd have to be proven wrong about it and shown it has last of us quality story to get me to play it.

I feel it's just not doing it for me, I like vampires, so I'll keep a eye on it
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
would have loved a blood rayne reboot or sequal, but that's never going to happen.

for their sake I hope I'm wrong, but I could care less about this, it's a game where I'd have to be proven wrong about it and shown it has last of us quality story to get me to play it.

I feel it's just not doing it for me, I like vampires, so I'll keep a eye on it
The game play looks on the level of bloodrayne back in the day without the actual fun of dismemberment. If it's trying to sell itself as a beatem up like bayonetta it completely lacks the visual technical style that the fore mentioned has. Sadly enough this makes DmC ninja theory's attempt at copying the japanese style seem quite good. Rip.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Will need to see actual hands-on to really tell, I think. Could be good, could be crap. But I would dig a Legacy of Kane experience again.

Anyone else get annoyed by the repeated use of the stock-audio scream, though?
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_NS View Post
Will need to see actual hands-on to really tell, I think. Could be good, could be crap. But I would dig a Legacy of Kane experience again.
Agreed. I am very interested to see how this comes out. I'm hoping to get a review copy of the PS4 version. The developer, Dontnod, is hit (Life is Strange) and miss (Remember Me). They have a lot of talent in the art department. The gameplay is the big question mark, as others have pointed out. Their last attempt at action-adventure, Remember Me, was a gorgeous game with a lousy fighting system.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_NS View Post
Anyone else get annoyed by the repeated use of the stock-audio scream, though?
"The Wilhelm" never gets old!
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
"The Wilhelm" never gets old!
True enough. Honestly, it actually bugged me for a bit, then I finally remembered where I'd heard it. And it's kinda sad, really...I mean, I can barely remember to take out the garbage or buy milk when I'm at the store, but nooooo, I can remember a friggin' canned sound effect in a 20-year-old PC game. In this case, an ambient scream in Diablo 1. >_<

(/sigh, can't figure out how to get the Youtube tag to start at the right time. If anyone is curious, go to 8:30: https://youtu.be/vcTAVQYMZv0?t=8m30s)

Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Cranium
Reaper

There are a handful of film & game SFX so overused out there in that they breech the immersion every time, no matter where they rear their head. The effect at 0:46 here used to be one of'em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ui2gLdmnk

...for a while there, if there was a dragon breathing fire in films or games, that's all you would hear. Every time. Probably listed under "A" in the Warner Bros. sound effects library CD or something. The Wilhelm's alright, but when unintentional these recurrences annoy me no end.

The vampire romp looks alright, I read quite a few Anne Rice back when, but they're not really my cup of tea in games.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

That looks kinda shit, to be honest. Even more-so as I recently finished a most enjoyable marathon run through the massively underrated and brilliant Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
That looks kinda shit, to be honest. Even more-so as I recently finished a most enjoyable marathon run through the massively underrated and brilliant Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

That game immersed you in many different layers of being a vampire, and was truly one of the great games of its time.

But adding this to the time line is not a bad thing.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dontnod entertainment, vampyr