12 Replies, 1,214 Views
Pure Evil - Weekend...
Last post by MechaDangerous
Yesterday 10:15 AM
1 Replies, 232 Views

Old 09-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Electronic Arts Hit with Lawsuit by Jacksonville Madden Tournament Shooting Victim

Law & Crime has the story.

Quote:
Video game giant Electronic Arts (EA) is being sued by an injured survivor of the August 26 shooting at a Madden tournament in Jacksonville, Florida. The complaint, brought by Jacob Mitich who participated in the tournament before suffering injuries to the leg and back during the shooting, alleges that EA–who hosted the event–and the establishment where it was located, were negligent in not providing sufficient security.

The tournament was held at the GLHF (which stands for Good Luck Have Fun) arcade, located inside the Chicago Pizza restaurant at the Jacksonville Landing shopping center (referred to as “The Landing”). Mitich, a college student who entered the tournament, claims that the venue should have had better security measures, based on previous violent acts that have occurred there.

The lawsuit (which can be read here) alleges that The Landing has in recent years turned into “a hub of dangerous, violent and too often, deadly activity.” Past incidents include fights at a March 2012 concert, a fatal stabbing at a bar that October, and a shooting in January 2017, the complaint says.

As a result of The Landing’s history, Mitich–through attorneys at the law firm Morgan & Morgan–alleges that those involved in organizing and hosting the Madden tournament should have taken greater security precautions to prevent shooter David Katz from being able to enter the tournament venue with a gun and carry out the attack. The shooting resulted in the deaths of two people and injuries to ten others, including Mitich who suffered injuries including “disfigurement” and “permanent and significant scarring,” according to his lawsuit. Katz was not a Jacksonville local, but traveled there from Maryland and was able to bring a weapon inside with him.

The complaint, filed in Duval County circuit court, claims that not only are Jacksonville Landing, Chicago Pizza, and GLHF liable for not having enough security, it also alleges that EA was negligent for not properly vetting the location of their tournament, notifying law enforcement of the event in advance, screening tournament competitors, or warning participants of the venue’s crime history. The security company that was used, Allied Universal, is also named in the lawsuit.
This will probably be one of many lawsuits stemming from that horrible incident. If you have the time, read the lawsuit. EA and Chicago Pizza do appear to be in an actionable positions.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

It's official now. Having attracted lawyers, eSports is officially big business.

They'll probably win, and from the sounds of it they should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Based on the the fact that they're suing EA (who hosted the event) along with the venue because of improper/insufficient security procedures and protocols...I kinda have to agree with 'em.

This isn't actually the first instance of fatal violence at the place, so it's pretty unbelievable that they didn't have ramped-up security for an event like this. Unfortunately, things like metal detectors are pretty much required at this point. I have to empty my pockets, walk through a detector, and often have a metal detector wand waved over me every single time I go to a concert (even at places that are as small or smaller than this arcade/bar), so there's simply no excuse.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Based on the the fact that they're suing EA (who hosted the event) along with the venue because of improper/insufficient security procedures and protocols...I kinda have to agree with 'em.

This isn't actually the first instance of fatal violence at the place, so it's pretty unbelievable that they didn't have ramped-up security for an event like this. Unfortunately, things like metal detectors are pretty much required at this point. I have to empty my pockets, walk through a detector, and often have a metal detector wand waved over me every single time I go to a concert (even at places that are as small or smaller than this arcade/bar), so there's simply no excuse.
EA and the venue pulled the trigger right Chimp? Not the mentally ill kid who actually committed the crime.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
EA and the venue pulled the trigger right Chimp? Not the mentally ill kid who actually committed the crime.
No, they didn't pull the trigger. They also clearly didn't take the necessary steps and precautions to ensure the venue was nominally safe.

It doesn't remove an ounce of blame from the person who actually pulled the trigger. They are, however, responsible to help maintain nominal safety and security at their venue and event(s). It shouldn't be any different from attending any sort of concert or sporting event; everyone has to pass through some form of security screening.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
No, they didn't pull the trigger. They also clearly didn't take the necessary steps and precautions to ensure the venue was nominally safe.

It doesn't remove an ounce of blame from the person who actually pulled the trigger. They are, however, responsible to help maintain nominal safety and security at their venue and event(s). It shouldn't be any different from attending any sort of concert or sporting event; everyone has to pass through some form of security screening.
Fair enough, though aside from metal detectors, I can't see what more they really could have done, armed security? It's a video game tournament. I have a hard time blaming EA at all.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Fair enough, though aside from metal detectors, I can't see what more they really could have done, armed security? It's a video game tournament. I have a hard time blaming EA at all.
Reasonable security precautions would be some form of security personnel (many concerts have a small handful of cops around, but most of the security folks aren't armed) and metal detectors. It works for the vast majority of concerts and sporting events, so I don't see why it couldn't have helped prevent this particular incident.

I blame EA insofar as it was one of their events specifically and they apparently did jack shit to ensure the facility had any sort of reasonable security precautions.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Sounds like football as a video game is potentially more dangerous than football as an actual sport.

I say ban'em both.

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
You are such an asspony.

Nominally safe.... Speak normal speak you retard.

Your not impressing anyone here with you kinda aight vocab. Just shut the fuck up. Fake fuck..

Tags
ea sports, electronic arts, madden 19