Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 10:45 AM
0 Replies, 173 Views

Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Black Desert Online Creators Acquire CCP Games

Quote:
Black Desert Online Creators Pearl Abyss to Acquire CCP Games, Makers of EVE Online

Today, Black Desert Online developer Pearl Abyss announced that it will acquire CCP Games, the creators of popular spaceship MMORPG EVE Online. The deal outlines that CCP Games will continue to operate independently as a developer with studios in Reykjavik, London and Shanghai, while integrating the company’s extensive development and publishing expertise into Pearl Abyss’ operations for all current and future projects.

EVE Online is a space-based, persistent world MMO game, developed by CCP’s Reykjavik studio. The game first launched in 2003 and has since gained recognition for its scale and complexity with regards to player interactions in EVE’s single, shared game world. EVE Online is one of the most critically-acclaimed MMORPG intellectual properties (IPs) in North America and Europe, and one of the most extensive works of science fiction in the world.

Pearl Abyss CEO Robin Jung stated, “We are thrilled to have CCP Games join our team as Black Desert Online continues to branch out globally. CCP is a seasoned publisher with over 15 years of digital distribution experience and know-how. They have done an incredible job of engaging and maintaining their playerbase, which we aim to learn from and hope to integrate natively into Pearl Abyss’ general practices across all our games. I am confident CCP’s reputable IP and expertise in global publishing will help reaffirm our company’s dedication to developing and servicing the world’s best MMORPGs.”

“I have been seriously impressed with what Pearl Abyss has achieved ever since I first visited their website for Black Desert Online and subsequently became an avid player of the game,” said CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson. “Pearl Abyss is a fast-growing company with lots to offer in terms of technology, capability and vision. I believe our two companies have a lot to learn from each other. We are very excited to join forces with them and achieve great new heights for our companies, our games and – above all - our players.”

Birgir Már Ragnarsson of Novator Partners and Chairman of CCP commented, “As lead investor in CCP for over 13 years alongside General Catalyst and NEA, we’ve seen CCP go from being a few dozen people strong to employing hundreds all over the world, with an ever-increasing customer base and multiple titles. CEO Hilmar V. Pétursson and his dedicated team have built a company that Novator and its partners are proud to hand over to Pearl Abyss and we wish them the best of luck in their future ventures.”

Pearl Abyss first launched its open-world MMORPG, Black Desert Online, in Korea in 2014. The game has received critical acclaim for its advanced graphics, seamless world, large-scale castle sieges and action-based combat system. Since Pearl Abyss’ initial public offering in 2017, the company has worked to secure competitive global IPs, such as EVE Online, through strategic investments and M&A activity.

Pearl Abyss saw record-high sales in the first half of 2018, following the launch of Black Desert Mobile in Korea. The company is looking forward to another strong year in 2019 with EVE Online and the upcoming global launch of Black Desert Mobile.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I find it hard to believe they acquired CCP for a 15 year old IP with a dwindling playerbase.

CCP must have something new up their sleeve?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I find it hard to believe they acquired CCP for a 15 year old IP with a dwindling playerbase.

CCP must have something new up their sleeve?
CCP owns Vampire the Masquerade and all the associated properties.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

I hope this doesn't destroy what is most likely my favorite game of all time.
DarkestHour00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Did they buy it back from Paradox?

https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-buys...rade-from-ccp/
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Oh, that. Yah, the sequel is coming btw. It's in development.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestHour00 View Post
I missed that one, I thought they still owned all that stuff. Well, that kinda puts a damper on what they are getting. Just EVE Online? I mean, it's a neat game for sure, but hasn't seen any real development in a decade.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
EGO
Evil Dead

Must've been cheap. Eve's playerbase is small and getting smaller. Really only the hardcore of the hardcore.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
Skunk
Evil Dead

This is how the EVE world dies, not with a bang but a whimper.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
They didn't. Paradox is working on a new vampire game.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Well maybe we'll get an eve 2 at some point. Their is a lot to like about EVE but the combat is somewhat lacking.

Last edited by EL CABONG; 09-06-2018 at 06:19 PM..
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Well maybe we'll get an even 2 at some point. Their is a lot to like about EVE but the combat is somewhat lacking.

Combat, Animations (or total lack of), learning curve (fuck you hardcores), too much reading....etc. etc. etc.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Jigfrog
Squire

Quote:
I missed that one, I thought they still owned all that stuff. Well, that kinda puts a damper on what they are getting. Just EVE Online? I mean, it's a neat game for sure, but hasn't seen any real development in a decade.
Eve has seen regular expansions multiple times a year for 15 years. Some better than others of course.
Jigfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
DarkestHour00
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO View Post
Must've been cheap. Eve's playerbase is small and getting smaller. Really only the hardcore of the hardcore.
$425,000,000 was the price
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
$425,000,000 was the price

Holy shit!

I know that at one point they championed the Infiniband technology to allow for one giant shard, but they must still have some serious infrastructure.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Holy shit!

I know that at one point they championed the Infiniband technology to allow for one giant shard, but they must still have some serious infrastructure.
EVE was the first game to equip all their servers with SSD hardware to improve the performance of their server. Super ahead of their time. Not only on their tech but also they're the only real open world MMO that actually continues to survive despite unashamedly catering to a hardcore audience. The odd console game gets away with it (Dark Souls) but MMOs that do this tend to go into the crapper pretty fast (see brutal PvP MMOs Shadowbane and any MMOs launching post WoW which don't allow any much in the way of solo (like Vanguard)).

It may also be the game which proves that humans, when left to their own devices, are generally a bunch of fucking assholes unless there is an all-powerful punitive force around to punish evil-doers.

The rule of thumb is 5% of people in real life are psychopathic enough they will will do something terrible (capital crime terrible) just for kicks; they have no moral compass. And a larger % will do something minor if they know they can get away with it, like steal a candy bar.

But that first 5% are the people hold the rest of society hostage. They are the reason for police, and triple locked doors, and most wanted lists, and death penalties.

But there is something about EVE online (and Ultima Online before) which flips that number on its head. Instead it is 90 - 95% of the people there who are seemingly happy to go on sprees of gleeful "capital crimes" in the game. If they can most will destroy your ship and pod you without a second thought. They will manipulate the market to crush even the tiniest of competitors. A Corp with a multi-hundred billion dollar income will pick on Corps barely breaking 7 digit incomes without a second thought.

The only thing that is safe is 1.0 space which is under control of the all powerful retaliation NPC squads and space controlled by the rare 5% - 10% who seek to maintain order, but they inevitably get crushed by the 90% - 95% of assholes.

As an experiment in human nature EVE should scare the shit out of everyone because it shows what happens when you remove accountability and strip the threat of punishment for violations against the social contract. "Normal" people start acting more like the 5%. Worse yet is when you rely on self-appointed 3rd parties as enforcers of the social contract where their own virtue begins to corrupt them or they can't keep up in the arms race and most eventually fall victim themselves.

The fact people find it "fun to see how thing turn out" and "fascinating" instead is just as scary because they are seeing and admiring basically proof that monsters live inside EVERYONE buried under a thin, thin layer of civility.

And it doesn't take a lot for people to toss aside that layer. For most people it is after they get podded the first time and lose a whole bunch of money and progress or they see their own first easy, easy miner mark and decide to go for the easy kill cause they can't pass up that kind of score (after all, they just got podded, they are broke!).

It's been years since I played, and supposedly they've made it friendlier since but it would have to be nearly a different game to have made it friendly enough for me to think it was anything but torture to play.

Last edited by vallor; 09-08-2018 at 02:40 AM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #17
AlfredT
Evil Dead

The biggest fuck you moment in Eve for me was coming back to my account, and finding it at 5M Skill cap. Which meant basically most of my skills were unusuable. Great design with the f2p intro. (/sarcasm)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
EVE was the first game to equip all their servers with SSD hardware to improve the performance of their server. Super ahead of their time. Not only on their tech but also they're the only real open world MMO that actually continues to survive despite unashamedly catering to a hardcore audience. The odd console game gets away with it (Dark Souls) but MMOs that do this tend to go into the crapper pretty fast (see brutal PvP MMOs Shadowbane and any MMOs launching post WoW which don't allow any much in the way of solo (like Vanguard)).

It may also be the game which proves that humans, when left to their own devices, are generally a bunch of fucking assholes unless there is an all-powerful punitive force around to punish evil-doers.

The rule of thumb is 5% of people in real life are psychopathic enough they will will do something terrible (capital crime terrible) just for kicks; they have no moral compass. And a larger % will do something minor if they know they can get away with it, like steal a candy bar.

But that first 5% are the people hold the rest of society hostage. They are the reason for police, and triple locked doors, and most wanted lists, and death penalties.

But there is something about EVE online (and Ultima Online before) which flips that number on its head. Instead it is 90 - 95% of the people there who are seemingly happy to go on sprees of gleeful "capital crimes" in the game. If they can most will destroy your ship and pod you without a second thought. They will manipulate the market to crush even the tiniest of competitors. A Corp with a multi-hundred billion dollar income will pick on Corps barely breaking 7 digit incomes without a second thought.

The only thing that is safe is 1.0 space which is under control of the all powerful retaliation NPC squads and space controlled by the rare 5% - 10% who seek to maintain order, but they inevitably get crushed by the 90% - 95% of assholes.

As an experiment in human nature EVE should scare the shit out of everyone because it shows what happens when you remove accountability and strip the threat of punishment for violations against the social contract. "Normal" people start acting more like the 5%. Worse yet is when you rely on self-appointed 3rd parties as enforcers of the social contract where their own virtue begins to corrupt them or they can't keep up in the arms race and most eventually fall victim themselves.

The fact people find it "fun to see how thing turn out" and "fascinating" instead is just as scary because they are seeing and admiring basically proof that monsters live inside EVERYONE buried under a thin, thin layer of civility.

And it doesn't take a lot for people to toss aside that layer. For most people it is after they get podded the first time and lose a whole bunch of money and progress or they see their own first easy, easy miner mark and decide to go for the easy kill cause they can't pass up that kind of score (after all, they just got podded, they are broke!).

It's been years since I played, and supposedly they've made it friendlier since but it would have to be nearly a different game to have made it friendly enough for me to think it was anything but torture to play.
I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think it's a bit cynical when framed outside the perspective of the game of EVE. People have enough sense to understand that "doing evil" has little to no consequence in a digital world aside from costing someone a little time. It's quite likely, under real life situations, and without governance, most players would act with a further sense of empathy and a stronger moral compass. I don't think "EVE" ends out being much of social experiment with any relevance to overall human behavior.

That said, EVE has the worst player base I've ever played games with - and it made me hate that game!

Tags
black desert online, eve online