Last post by Paranoia
Today 06:24 PM
2 Replies, 369 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Without Olaf, Coco Tops the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for a Second Week

Coco is the top film at the box office for the second straight week with an estimated $26.1 million. The acclaimed animated film has already racked up a global cumulative total of $280 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 1st to December 3rd.
  1. Coco $26.1/$108.6
  2. Justice League $16.5/$197.3
  3. Wonder $12.5/$88.0
  4. Thor: Ragnarok $9.6/$291.4
  5. Daddy's Home 2 $7.5/$82.8
  6. Murder on the Orient Express $6.7/$84.7
  7. Lady Bird $4.5/$17.0
  8. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri $4.5/$13.6
  9. The Star $4.0/$27.2
  10. A Bad Moms Christmas $3.4/$64.8
  11. Roman J. Israel, Esq. $1.9/$9.5
  12. The Disaster Artist $1.2/$1.2

Despite all the Oscar buzz, it looks like The Disaster Artist bombed. Too many people sitting at home waiting for Star Wars.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I don't think anyone really expected The Disaster Artist to do all that well; Tommy Wiseau isn't exactly a household name and despite how infamous The Room is, your average person probably never heard of it.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Olaf isn't getting pulled until after December 8th. It's a really weak short that's not short enough, honestly. Even my kids said it had too much singing in it (and the songs were nowhere near as well done as the original film's music).

Olaf removed from Coco film after Dec. 8th.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Olaf isn't getting pulled until after December 8th. It's a really weak short that's not short enough, honestly. Even my kids said it had too much singing in it (and the songs were nowhere near as well done as the original film's music).

Olaf removed from Coco film after Dec. 8th.
It's really just Disney's marketing machine being turnt up to 11. It's a shitty short and people who hate it are now counting this as some sort of victory and those who might be naive enough to think they want to actually see it have to scramble to run out and see it before they are "deprived" of this Olaf garbage.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

It is pretty terrible, but it had the original voices! lol...ugh. It was a lot like the direct-to-dvd craptastic sequels you'd get in the past from Disney. Bad.

I actually enjoy previews, but not previews that are 20+ minutes long, and not ones that suck, lol.

Last edited by Terran; 12-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Typo!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Cyrano
Dread Lord

The Disaster Artist isn't even playing at the theaters near me. Not having as wide a release may have reduced its earnings.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
The Disaster Artist isn't even playing at the theaters near me. Not having as wide a release may have reduced its earnings.
I mentioned it because it is playing just about everywhere here so it seemed to be in pretty wide release.

This Saturday I'll be going to see The Shape of Water.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I don't think anyone really expected The Disaster Artist to do all that well; Tommy Wiseau isn't exactly a household name and despite how infamous The Room is, your average person probably never heard of it.
And that brings about the second problem: those who know about the Room are the same people who primarily watch shows as part of syndication (Cartoon Network) or as part of a subscription video service. These are the type of people who will wait for it to come out on Netflix and not bother seeing it in theaters.

This movie would have made more sense as a Netflix original than as a theatrical release.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It is pretty terrible, but it had the original voices! lol...ugh. It was a lot like the direct-do-dvd craptastic sequels you'd get in the past from Disney. Bad.

I actually enjoy previews, but not previews that are 20+ minutes long, and not ones that suck, lol.
But hey it's "free" right? Lol, like parents don't have enough of a hard time having their kids sit still and pay attention at the theater without another 20 minutes being added to the mix. Funny thing is that this supposedly was Disney's way of luring more people to the movie because they were having doubts about the movie bringing in enough ticket sales on its own merits.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
And that brings about the second problem: those who know about the Room are the same people who primarily watch shows as part of syndication (Cartoon Network) or as part of a subscription video service. These are the type of people who will wait for it to come out on Netflix and not bother seeing it in theaters.

This movie would have made more sense as a Netflix original than as a theatrical release.
I think itís more of an art project than a money making venture. I donít think their goal was smashing the box office.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

Oh, it definitely was that, but no one should be surprised that it didn't make any real money for that reason.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #12
smgalia
Knight

If you told me that a Thor movie would beat a Justice League movie at the Box Office, I might have told you to go away and seek help. But holy crap! I think instead of Cyborg they should have had Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern, but then again I'm old.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Cyborg is pretty edgy and hits a good note particularly with his ability to interface with the Motherbox.

TBH the diversity angle doesn't hurt.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #14
LostToys
Evil Dead

Cyborg was probably the best thing in the movie, and I went in wanting to hate him because of his character design. They did a very good job of having him be a tortured person, not because of his augmentations which make him feel like a monster, but because he doesn't know how to deal with his new found intelligence. His character arc is worth watching the movie for, in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:37 AM   #15
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgalia View Post
If you told me that a Thor movie would beat a Justice League movie at the Box Office, I might have told you to go away and seek help. But holy crap! I think instead of Cyborg they should have had Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern, but then again I'm old.
You know you're getting old when you enjoy "Logan" more than "Spider-Man: Homecoming" - which happened to me, now that I watched both movies back to back.

Edit: I do have to add that I would rather re-watch Homecoming, because a lot more stuff happens there that I probably missed the first time.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart