11 Replies, 995 Views
Disney's Dumbo Trailer...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 08:02 PM
13 Replies, 1,160 Views

Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Terran
Evil Dead

Rumor - Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming to PC?

PC gamers who are fans of the Red Dead Redemption series are all aflutter online over the possibility that RDR2 may make its way to PC, unlike RDR, which to this date has not.

Quote:
The amount of people ready to drop a serious amount of cash on Red Dead Redemption 2 might have just increased by quite a bit. VG247 is reporting that Rockstar Games is preparing to launch the much-hyped title on the PC, as well as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The site found a LinkedIn profile, which Engadget has independently verified, of a developer who worked for Rockstar for almost a decade. Their resume includes a reference to Red Dead Redemption 2 for "PS4/XBox1/PC."
I'd love to see it, but this could simply be an elaborate tease, or even just a simple oversight that folks are reading too much into. We shall see!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Rommel
International Playboy

Considering the sales of GTA V on PC, it baffles the mind that Rockstar would not consider supporting the PC. As they did with GTA V, I suspect they will release it later than the console versions, using the time to increase the graphical options and to potentially duplicate sales.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Hope so. I will pay full price for a pc red dead 2. I often wait till SP games are cheap,but for Red Dead I would happily make an exception.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think they will release this one on the PC, but it will be like GTAV, it will hit the PC a year after it comes to console. While GTAV sold a lot of copies on the PC, it never sells anywhere near what it does on console. Console sales you are talking about like 10 million units. PC you are talking about 1 million and probably half of those are pirated.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think they will release this one on the PC, but it will be like GTAV, it will hit the PC a year after it comes to console. While GTAV sold a lot of copies on the PC, it never sells anywhere near what it does on console. Console sales you are talking about like 10 million units. PC you are talking about 1 million and probably half of those are pirated.
Still talking out of your ignorant ass when it comes to anything PC related I see.

Try over 10 MILLION units sold on PC.

https://steamdb.info/app/271590/graphs/

You can be guaranteed that RDR2 will debut on PC because Rockstar loves the smell of money.
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
defiant
Evil Dead

And it should be borne in mind that those ownership stats relate only to the steam version of GTA V which is not tied to steamworks. Rockstar may well have sold another 10 million copies on top of that especially because the versions sold at retail and other digital store fronts only require Rockstar Social to activate and run.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant View Post
Still talking out of your ignorant ass when it comes to anything PC related I see.

Try over 10 MILLION units sold on PC.

https://steamdb.info/app/271590/graphs/

You can be guaranteed that RDR2 will debut on PC because Rockstar loves the smell of money.
Well, I'll be damned. I never bothered to look it up, I just assumed since it was such a low priority for them that it didn't sell that well. I guess it was worth a Google.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Well, I'll be damned. I never bothered to look it up, I just assumed since it was such a low priority for them that it didn't sell that well. I guess it was worth a Google.7
Don't know what makes you think it was a low priority, Rockstar themselves consider it to be the "Ultimate Version" of GTA V.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gt.../1100-6426513/

Not only that, Rockstar invested considerably time and resources into optimizing the engine and upgrading visuals to 4K. Hardly a quick and dirty port, it is by all accounts one of the best open world games released on PC in recent times.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Rockstar didn't port RDR to the PC, and that game would have sold millions if they had. I don't think it's a slam dunk they bring RDR2 to the PC. Someone(s) in the executive suites at R* has a bug up his/her/their asses about the PC as a platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Rockstar didn't port RDR to the PC, and that game would have sold millions if they had. I don't think it's a slam dunk they bring RDR2 to the PC. Someone(s) in the executive suites at R* has a bug up his/her/their asses about the PC as a platform.
I think the biggest reason RDR didn't get a PC release was primarily because its development was a clusterfuck and it reportedly barely made it to the console release. The whole thing was just a mess, but it resulted in one of the best games of that generation.

I'd like to see some gameplay footage, though. We're just about three months away from its release date of October 2018...and we haven't actually seen much.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I think the biggest reason RDR didn't get a PC release was primarily because its development was a clusterfuck
I think it's because R* is wearing the 'piracy is everywhere on the PC!' foil hat too tightly.

R* executive team discussing a PC port:

Quote:
Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I think it's because R* is wearing the 'piracy is everywhere on the PC!' foil hat too tightly.

R* executive team discussing a PC port:

There are plenty of articles out there about how fucked up the development of RDR was, so I think porting RDR to PC would have been a nightmare.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
There are plenty of articles out there about how fucked up the development of RDR was, so I think porting RDR to PC would have been a nightmare.
Exactly. They didn't do the port probably because the engine couldn't have handled it without months and months of work and they just didn't want to put in that time when they had lots of other projects in the works. It would have made them a ton of money I'm sure and been worth it, but you have to remember that they had GTAV in development at the time.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:01 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
There are plenty of articles out there
There were plenty of articles about how Hillary would win as well. Received wisdom is often a coin toss in disguise or just plain stupidity. They would have made millions and millions. Companies don't refuse to make profits because 'it's haaaaaaaard!'

They have a thing against the PC as a platform.
Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #15
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
Not anymore according to Take2 and Rockstar.

https://gamerant.com/red-dead-redemp...-pc-important/
Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant View Post
Not anymore according to Take2 and Rockstar.

https://gamerant.com/red-dead-redemp...-pc-important/
That confirms my suspicion that they had/have a thing about piracy (which is an 'overblown' issue in my mind):

I would observe that the PC platform has become a very, very important part of what we do, driven by digital distribution.

Translation: I would observe that PC is more profitable for us now because we can sell stuff digitally that can't be pirated.
Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
There were plenty of articles about how Hillary would win as well. Received wisdom is often a coin toss in disguise or just plain stupidity. They would have made millions and millions. Companies don't refuse to make profits because 'it's haaaaaaaard!'

It's not a matter of it being "hard"; it's a matter of the development process being a big enough mess that porting the game to PC would have likely been far too time-consuming to actually be profitable.

If you recall the old Zero Dean stuff, Rockstar wasn't even providing instructional or learning materials to their new staff to get them up to speed on the particular tools they were using. Then, there was the Rockstar Wives letter and the layoffs that occurred immediately after the game launched. It was a problematic development cycle, to say the least.

I'm betting they were hardpressed enough to get the game out of the 360 and PS3; porting it to the PC (and the myriad of hardware configurations that entails) probably didn't survive a simple cost/benefit analysis.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's not a matter of it being "hard"; it's a matter of the development process being a big enough mess that porting the game to PC would have likely been far too time-consuming to actually be profitable.
I'm going with "We don't like the PC platform because of piracy....<years later>...we love the PC platform because of digital distribution" for $1,000.
Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I'm going with "We don't like the PC platform because of piracy....<years later>...we love the PC platform because of digital distribution" for $1,000.
I'd believe that if every other game Rockstar has developed since Red Dead Redemption wasn't released on PC. In fact, RDR is one of the - if not the only - titles they've released in the past decade that didn't get a PC release. Their other games - GTAIV/V, Manhunt 2, Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, Bully - all saw PC releases.

If they were so concerned about piracy, why is RDR the only title they withheld from PC?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Anyone have a list of RDR titles and their platforms? I'm skeptical that RDR is unusual for R* in not being available on PC, so would like a list to show that it is indeed unusual.
Quote: