Today 07:04 PM
7 Replies, 761 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
This is America. He can post whatever racist bs on his personal twitter account. He is just one person, out of many thousands that worked on this game. Many of them good, hard working people that do not share his views at all.
The team likely numbers in the (lowish) hundreds; if they have over a thousand people working on this game, it would be ludicrous. I suppose it would also help explain the $40 million they spent on it...but, I digress.

Here's the thing: If I started spouting racist shit on my personal social media accounts, I'd probably be fired. Manveer Heir spouts racist bullshit on his very public social media accounts...and Bioware's management shields him from any legitimate backlash.

What he does goes above and beyond merely being an asshole. He's racist.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 03-19-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #42
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
This is Bioware Montreal. Everyone there thinks like that. From the lead designer to the writers to the animators and so on. I will be shocked if they don't start blaming the overall negative reactions on straight white males. Just repeat Ghostbusters 2016 because that worked so well.
There's no doubt they will, David Gaider was another one who during his time at Bioware and when they still had their own forums would lash out at any sort of constructive criticism aimed at the writing or design decisions being made. It started getting real bad around the time of Dragon Age 2 and apparently has just snowballed downhill from there. I get the idea that the culture at Bioware these days has finally reached such a level of toxic social justice batshittery its obviously really starting seep into their games and destroying the legacy the docs had built with their D&D branded titles and the first KOTOR.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #43
Mad Max RW
Reaper

It has begun. Who honestly didn't see this coming? The usual suspects are out pushing the Gamergate/Trump supporter narrative. So now anyone critical of the game is automatically put on the defensive. Watch as youtubers and "journalists" backtrack and get in line.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #44
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
What he does goes above and beyond merely being an asshole. He's racist.
Being a racist asshole on your Twitter account is still free speech. The President of the US is racist. And anyone believing one person (who wasn't even working at the right Bioware) was responsible for all the animation in such a large game is a moron. Some gamers are the most racist, misogynistic assholes out there in any hobby. Personally threatening to rape a person so "you can get better animation effects" is way too fucking far.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #45
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Being a racist asshole on your Twitter account is still free speech.
"Free speech" is irrelevant in this case.

It sure does fall under the First Amendment...which guarantees that he can't face governmental backlash simply because of what he's saying. It does not, however, give him a free ticket to spout whatever the hell he wants, consequence-free. Conversely, it does give everyone else a free ticket to react accordingly...within reason.

As I said, if you, I or anyone else did something similar and it became an issue for our employers, we'd all be fired. While Heir no longer works for Bioware, he did - until very recently - hold a significant position within the company. When your personal actions directly impacts the perception of a product being marketed to millions of people, its important for there to be a certain level of personal accountability. Instead, Heir was shielded by Bioware management.

Quote:
The President of the US is racist. And anyone believing one person (who wasn't even working at the right Bioware) was responsible for all the animation in such a large game is a moron. Some gamers are the most racist, misogynistic assholes out there in any hobby. Personally threatening to rape a person so "you can get better animation effects" is way too fucking far.
The last time I checked, I never once agreed with the ridiculous backlash this single person has been receiving; people are absolutely taking things way too far (as people are collectively wont to do) and threats of any sort simply aren't warranted.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #46
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
"Free speech" is irrelevant in this case.

As I said, if you, I or anyone else did something similar and it became an issue for our employers, we'd all be fired. While Heir no longer works for Bioware, he did - until very recently - hold a significant position within the company. When your personal actions directly impacts the perception of a product being marketed to millions of people, its important for there to be a certain level of personal accountability. Instead, Heir was shielded by Bioware management.
You are right that he should have been fired earlier; but we aren't privy to the internal politics of the company. Perhaps there was/were/are lawyers involved in this.. we don't know.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #47
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
You are right that he should have been fired earlier; but we aren't privy to the internal politics of the company. Perhaps there was/were/are lawyers involved in this.. we don't know.
While it's just Twitter, he specifically name dropped both the GM and Studio Director of Bioware, thanking them for letting him "speak on things". While there very well could have been some internal stuff going on (he apparently no longer works for Bioware), they essentially didn't do a damn thing about it. Even if they did fire him, they clearly waited until the game was complete to make a move that should have been made two years ago.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #48
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
The President of the US is racist.
Right, because racists typically reach out to historically black colleges to try and help them. Oh, also they marry Jews and have Jewish grandchildren and become jewish themselves.

Clue: Racists don't do that. But hey, but don't let silly things like facts stop you from spouting leftist bullshit.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #49
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Right, because racists typically reach out to historically black colleges to try and help them. Oh, also they marry Jews and have Jewish grandchildren and become jewish themselves.

Clue: Racists don't do that. But hey, but don't let silly things like facts stop you from spouting leftist bullshit.
Being a racist doesn't mean you hate all equally. Go read a history book. Someone named Hitler wants to say hello.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #50
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Being a racist doesn't mean you hate all equally. Go read a history book. Someone named Hitler wants to say hello.
Really? So Hitler held up a multi-colored LGBT flag at one of his rallies? He tried to help black colleges? He denounced white supremacy multiple times? Damn, if that is being a racist then I must be one as well and didn't realize it.

Yes one of us needs to read a history book, but I have news for you. It ain't me.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #51
ashikenshin
Subscriber

He is racist because of all these reasons... crickets*
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #52
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Being a racist asshole on your Twitter account is still free speech. The President of the US is racist. And anyone believing one person (who wasn't even working at the right Bioware) was responsible for all the animation in such a large game is a moron. Some gamers are the most racist, misogynistic assholes out there in any hobby. Personally threatening to rape a person so "you can get better animation effects" is way too fucking far.
Is it really free speech? Because I would bet if he were white making obvious blatant racist statements towards blacks or muslims, his Twitter account would have been shut down a long time ago. Thats the double standard you idiots employ.

As for Trump, was Obama racist when he banned muslims from the same areas Trump is? Where was your outrage then?
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ea games, mass effect: andromeda