Red Dead Redemption 2...
Last post by MusicToEat
Today 05:51 PM
5 Replies, 321 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Evil Avatar Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review!

Title: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Platform: PS4
Platform Reviewed: PS4
Developer: DEVELOPER
Publisher: Sony
MSRP: $39.99
Writer: Aaron Birch

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review

Sisters, doing it for themselves

Now that we've allegedly seen the last of Nathan Drake's globe-trotting adventures, as he settles down for the quiet, family life, there's an empty spot to fill in the world of extreme archaeology. Who better to fill that spot that one of Drake's own, old flames, Chloe Frazer. Joined by en ex-mercenary, who's also more than familiar with Nathan, Nadine Ross. The two take centre stage in this new Uncharted adventure, which takes place in rural India.

On a quest to find the lost tusk of Ganesh, the elephant-headed Indian god of many arms and bringer of new beginnings, the duo find themselves in the midst of a civil war, and targeted by a local warlord, who also wants the ivory prize.

It's a simple set-up, but one that, as always, is brought to us in stellar fashion by the team at Naughty Dog. It's clear from the outset that The Lost Legacy s another prime example of the acclaimed developer's ability to not only craft superbly solid action adventures, but to deliver the action with that human touch, and characters that are genuine, likeable, and engaging. Again, Chloe, Nadine, and others are all brilliantly developed characters, helped by impeccable voice acting and direction.

This seat-gluing presentation is accompanied by the Uncharted gameplay we've come to know and love, and although I have to admit, there's very little here to write home about in terms of new features or enhancements, as this basically feels more like Uncharted 4 DLC than a sequel orspin-off, its still brilliant and supremely enjoyable, with the same level of quality the studio just keeps pumping out in title after title.

The same mixture of exploration, environment-traversal, and combat is present, and it all plays and feels every bit as god as it did in Uncharted 4. In fact, Id have to say the combat here is far more challenging, with a greater array of deadly foes, and some small new additions.

If you, like me, like to play on the hardest difficulty, here being 'Crushing', you'll no doubt remember the fear inducing shotgunners from previous Uncharted. These dudes like nothing more than to rush you, force you out of cover, and to one shot you into oblivion. Well, they're back, with a vengeance here, and they're accompanied by an even more terrifying, and downright maddening foe, the hugger Yep, these gas mask-wearing freaks run at you and simply grab on to you, holding you in place, at the mercy of other foes. You can try to break free, or let Nadine try to free you, but on higher difficulties, if your grabbed, you're usually dead. I hate these guys, I really do. Words just cant convey my dislike of them. I want them to go away. Please.

This situation, and many others does highlight one of the game's few issues, though, and that's AI. Enemy AI is pretty much spot on, and you really do get a real workou for your gaming skills here. Sadly, your allies' AI isn't so robust. Your friends (yes, you'll find more help than Nadine later), often get in yor way, blocking your cover or retreat, and, more annoyingly, they seem unable to hit a very large barn door stood in an empty field. They're terrible shots, and I've sat and watched them trade fire with a single foe for over ten minutes, hitting nothing.

Now, I get this is likely in place to focus on you, the player, but if you're going to give us allies like a rugged Ex-Mercenary who can give Nathan Drake a run for his money, it kind of falls flat when she appears to be unaware of how to aim or behave in a simple fire fight.

My only other issue is one that's always plagued this genre of game, and is a feature only the very first few Tomb Raider games managed to solve. Simply, the environment navigation, such as finding a way to get from A to B by climbing a cliff or large statue isn't difficult, and is often signposted and all too clear. Again, I recognise this is intention design to keep the game moving, but this simply makes some of the game feel like filler, as there's no really challenge for you, the player. The original Tomb Raider games all those years ago forced us to examine the world around us and figure out how to get where we need to go. Today, we're guided by clichéd coloured ledges, but of rope dangling over climbable surfaces, and other easily recognisable marks.

Still, this is a relatively minor issue in a game as well put together as Lost Legacy, and the last thing you'll be worrying about are things like this when you're engaged in a brilliantly tough fire fight, or trying to survive one of Naughty Dog's trademark set pieces that just never fails to impress, many of which have no QTE button queue in site. Bliss.

Once again, Naughty Dog has delivered another superb adventure, and it's proven there's more to Uncharted than Nathan Drake. Chloe and Nadine are excellent leads, and there's no reason we shouldn't have more from the duo in future. Must have, pure and simple.

Score: 4.0 out of 5

The Good
  • Fantastic visuals
  • Brilliant lead characters and VO, as always
  • Slick and fluid gameplay
The Bad
  • Friendly AI is poor
  • No major new features
The Ugly
  • Those fracking gas-mask, hug fiends!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Good review. I'm looking forward to playing the game.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Great game. Really managed to find a great balance between fighting, climbing, quiet moments, and puzzle solving. Something every previous game struggled with.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

It is really weird how they handled Nadine when she is not in a cutscene. It seems like she was always just off camera only to appear when the game needed it for a dialogue sequence or environmental puzzle. But while exploring and fighting, I swear I saw her only a half dozen times. This is particularly noticeable if you go back and play A Thief's End because Sully and Sam were so damned proactive and doing their own shit throughout the entire game.

But otherwise, I enjoyed the shit out of the game. The open section in Chapter 5 was well done because each section had multiple paths to another section, so never really drove through the map the same way twice, and the set pieces are still top notch. I almost wished they would forget all about the fighting and just make a game with expensive set pieces. When I looked at my stats, I think I spent a 1/3 of the game not doing anything, and that was because I was spending so much time just being in awe over the intricate details and sense of scale and space that Naughty Dog has put into this game.

I just wish I had a HDR television to fully take in the details of this game.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

As always, I recommend checking the Digital Foundry videos. Always informative and fun to watch:

Old 09-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I just wish I had a HDR television to fully take in the details of this game.
it is quite breathtaking. Especially in those moments where the camera pulls back and you are viewing some of the well crafted vistas and structures they put together.

This game is available via Redbox and is easily beatable in a weekend.

Last edited by shadow763; 09-14-2017 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

I wish there was some comparison between this and the latest Tomb Raider, because it really seems these two are facing off with each other. Can Naughty Dog out Tomb Raider Crystal Dymanics?
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

I think Tomb Raider still has the better action and the puzzles (when available) are more challenging, but I find the writing and overall look and polish of Uncharted to be better than Tomb Raider.

Tags
uncharted the lost legacy