Last post by RAV
Yesterday 03:11 PM
31 Replies, 3,078 Views

Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Days Gone Free DLC Kicks off in June

Quote:
Days Gone is almost here! The team at Bend Studio can’t wait for players to test their luck against three difficulty modes that ship with the game on April 26. Whether playing Easy, Normal, or Hard mode you can expect a game that challenges your survival skills across a 30+ hour golden path and many more hours of open world hordes, ambush camps, infestation zones, mysterious NERO checkpoints, and dynamic events in the post-apocalyptic Oregon setting.

Not only does this world come for you, but starting in June, a whole new difficulty mode and new challenges each week are coming for all Days Gone owners with an active internet connection — for free!

‘Survival’ difficulty mode tests players by daring them to beat the story with increased difficulty settings, no fast travel or Survival Vision, and an immersive HUD that removes maps and indicators from the gameplay screen. Every tweak and change made is designed to further immerse players and ratchet up the tension to make this the definitive survival experience.

Each week beginning in June, a new Bike, Horde, or Combat challenge will be deployed to test players even further. These challenges take key gameplay features of Days Gone, and twists them in unique ways to earn additional items and rewards. We’ll give you more information on the specific challenges down the road.

Beating the Survival Difficulty and challenges won’t be in vain — players can earn new trophies and unique bike skins to show off in photo mode to prove they’re bonafide Days Gone survivors. Are you?
blog.us.playstation.com
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Free DLC is cool and all, but I'm just waiting for the review embargo to lift. I'm kinda interested in the game, but I definitely want to know more before taking the plunge.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #3
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

This game seems like it would have been amazing in 2010. I like the lead actor, he was Starkiller in The Force Unleashed. He's a cool guy. But it just doesn't interest me much. I'll get it in the peak of summer when there's nothing out or something.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
This game seems like it would have been amazing in 2010. I like the lead actor, he was Starkiller in The Force Unleashed. He's a cool guy. But it just doesn't interest me much. I'll get it in the peak of summer when there's nothing out or something.
I'm looking for another game that can occupy my time for quite a while. I picked up RDR2 back in October when it launched and have been messing around with it almost exclusively since then...but I wouldn't mind having something different to play for the next few weeks/months.

Days Gone looks like it could fit the bill (and I have a Gamestop gift card from Christmas just sitting around, anyway)...but I want some more info on it before I take the plunge.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm getting it Friday, I'll let you know what I think. I'm hearing it's kinda repetitive. But, I don't mind that so much. I just hope that I wouldn't have been happier with Mortal Kombat 11.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I'm getting it Friday, I'll let you know what I think. I'm hearing it's kinda repetitive. But, I don't mind that so much. I just hope that I wouldn't have been happier with Mortal Kombat 11.
A lot of the fair-to-middling reviews I've been reading seem to focus on how it's very similar to most open-world sandbox games with a leveling/progression system. Honestly, it doesn't actually sound like that bad of a game; it's just derivative and doesn't do much to differentiate itself from other similar games. The entire time I was reading some of the reviews, I found myself saying, "Well, that doesn't sound so bad..."

Honestly, it might be the sort of game I'm looking to fill my time with post-RDR2.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Derivative is OK if you don't play that many of them. They don't all need to redefine the status quo. I would be interested in how it compares to State of Decay or other zombie open world titles. It seems like the apex of *that*, not a stand-out when compared against other open world titles. Hard as shit to match a Rockstar or a post-AC Origins Ubisoft.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I haven't played AC Origins yet, so I've got that going for me.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I got this one a day early and had no idea it was out there till I was leaving for work! Bah, now I can’t play till the morning. Well, at least I will not be waiting all day for them to deliver it!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

IGN gave it a 6.5, which probably means it's more like a 3.5

Currently sitting at a 7.2 on Metacritic

The repeated sentiment is a game that looks outstanding, but is a tiresome, hollow, empty experience.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The entire time I was reading some of the reviews, I found myself saying, "Well, that doesn't sound so bad..."
Yeah, this is the take I am getting from most of the reviews: It is a video-game and the reviewers wanted something more. It is a shame that games can no longer be derivative but fun anymore. They have to "subvert expectations" otherwise they are not worth your time/investment.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
The repeated sentiment is a game that looks outstanding, but is a tiresome, hollow, empty experience.
Which is exactly how I would describe Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey.

GameFly shipped my copy, but all the way from Kansas, so I will not be getting it until this time next week. Looking forward to the diversion now that The Division 2 has cooled off among my friends.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Which is exactly how I would describe Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey.
Ditto, actually.

Hope you enjoy the game, man. Division 2 is dying off here as well. Or at least temporarily. I'm Item level 490 something, world tier 5, completed all the side missions obviously, did some DZ, did some gear pairing, there's just not much to do right now.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 04-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #14
LostToys
Evil Dead

The problem with The Division 2, in the long run, is that you really never look different from opening minute to a hundred hours later. So you are really just grinding for higher stats, rather than trying to find something cool or exotic to equip.

So the delay of the 8-man Raid really just gave people an excuse to so stop the grind, and I fear it may be hard to convince them to come back.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

I'll give it a spin. I just got Odyssey Fate of Atlantas 1 started. If I am looking for solid mechanics in an empty experience, that's what Odyssey has somewhat become now that the map is completely explored.

Which is nuts because I haven't even tried doing archer play, but I can't bring myself to New Game+. I'd rather play a game with an entirely new set of mechanics with new systems in a new environment with a new aesthetic, not just one of those in isolation.

$60 for a 30 hr "golden path" (is that what they call story missions now)? Maybe it is better as a rental.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Maybe it is better as a rental.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I played for an hour. There are a shit ton of cut-scenes. They went way way overboard with the cut scenes. The game seems pretty cool, but the bike controls about as good as the cars in Grand Theft Auto - ie, it controls like shit. It wobbles all over the place at the slightest touch.

It seems pretty neat so far, but there are some long loading screens to get into the game to start.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I hear all around it's a REALLY fun game with a REALLY immersive world!

Old 04-27-2019, 01:48 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I played for an hour. There are a shit ton of cut-scenes. They went way way overboard with the cut scenes. The game seems pretty cool, but the bike controls about as good as the cars in Grand Theft Auto - ie, it controls like shit. It wobbles all over the place at the slightest touch.

It seems pretty neat so far, but there are some long loading screens to get into the game to start.
That doesn't seem very good for a game that centers around riding a motorcycle around.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The most fun so far is the molotov. It doesn’t raise the alarm like it should and they are pretty easy to find crafting materials for, so human or zombie, I’m just chucking these things at everyone I find.

I had a great moment where I missed someone with one, then took a shot at them with the pistol and when they dodged to the side to avoid the pistol shot, they went right into the flames!

Tags
days gone