Post something good you...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 03:11 PM
31 Replies, 3,093 Views

Old 04-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Avengers Endgame

Back from Avengers: Endgame. Without spoiling anything, let's just say that if you haven't purchased tickets yet that you should save your money.

As you are probably more than aware, the movie basically used the plot from Back to the Future II to go back and un-do everything from the last movie.

There is lots of characters and a lot of callbacks to previous films, but none of it is done in an original or meaningful way. The characters who die do so in a predictable (and in one case previously seen) way and the action is mostly a re-hash of scenes you saw in the last film.

About the only good bit in the whole movie is the callback to the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

We watched Avengers: Infinity War last night and it is such a superior film that there isn't even a comparison. Just flat out disappointed across the board.

I'll still go see Marvel movies in the future, but this one leaves you thinking that most of the magic is gone.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Two hours in, my son was asking how much longer it would last. The first two hours were quite slow, honestly. The final hour was predictable but action-packed fun. There was literally nothing in the film that I felt required the big screen theatrical experience.

It was a long three hours, but I'm not sure how they tie a ribbon on so many character arcs without the length. They closed the book really well (a few glaring plot holes aside), with the only problem being that there were so many chapters it was too damned long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

With so many characters, it was always going to be a difficult movie to pull off, and they wasted a lot of that time with the whole Back to the Future II Marty McFly "creeping around behind himself in the first film" thing.

It was cringe-worthy in Back to the Future II and it is just as painful to watch today.

They also really didn't do anything with a lot of the characters. War Machine pretty much just stands around all movie doing nothing and for the most part Hawkeye in his new super-killer Ronin persona also does mostly nothing. If he hadn't been in the movie until his big scene, you never would have noticed that he was gone. Which is a shame, since Jeremy Renner is probably one of the best actors in the group.

The movie didn't feel all that long to me, since there are a lot of scenes to unpack, but they all felt kinda dull and lifeless.

The end battle had that neat bit, but it didn't save the movie.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

One of the things I do think is sad is that this movie (and Captain Marvel) will both make over a Billion at the box office. When they are pulling in that kind of money, there is no incentive to make the movies better.

Look at the Star Wars prequels, they were horrible beyond imagining and each one made mad amounts of money so George Lucas never really got the hint that the films were bad. He did see the feedback and gave up on making more, but there was no real financial incentive for him to quit making them and he ended up selling the franchise for $4.5 Billion -- most of that in cash. Hard to say the films were a failure when each one put more than $500 Million in profit in his pocket and then he walked away with $4.5 Billion on top of that.

This is the same. Where is the incentive to go back to good storytelling like Winter Soldier if they can throw together some last minute CGI crap like Captain Marvel and make the same money???
Old 04-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
One of the things I do think is sad is that this movie (and Captain Marvel) will both make over a Billion at the box office. When they are pulling in that kind of money, there is no incentive to make the movies better.

Look at the Star Wars prequels, they were horrible beyond imagining and each one made mad amounts of money so George Lucas never really got the hint that the films were bad. He did see the feedback and gave up on making more, but there was no real financial incentive for him to quit making them and he ended up selling the franchise for $4.5 Billion -- most of that in cash. Hard to say the films were a failure when each one put more than $500 Million in profit in his pocket and then he walked away with $4.5 Billion on top of that.

This is the same. Where is the incentive to go back to good storytelling like Winter Soldier if they can throw together some last minute CGI crap like Captain Marvel and make the same money???
I think even people so out of touch with reality like Hollywood elites will understand that even if this movie was trash it would break all records.

That is because even though we are getting Disney sanitized and happy ever after ending people will still want one, and there is just so much people wanting to see this ending.

PS didn't see it yet. My daughter was sick and was taking care of her
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
I think even people so out of touch with reality like Hollywood elites will understand that even if this movie was trash it would break all records.

That is because even though we are getting Disney sanitized and happy ever after ending people will still want one, and there is just so much people wanting to see this ending.

PS didn't see it yet. My daughter was sick and was taking care of her
Hope she gets better! The Mrs has been sick the past few days. She doesn't go see these superhero movies with me anyway, but it's always sad to see her suffering. She had a sore throat/cold virus thing.

I hope you guys get out to see the film next weekend. I know that tons of people are going to want to go see it no matter what they hear from me, there is certainly that pressure to see the ending. I would have gone even if I had heard it sucked.

Edit: And I'll add that we will probably see Spider-Man Homecoming. I think next up is John Wick 3 and then BrightBurn and I think sometime after that is Godzilla. My Daughter wants to fit in Detective Pikachu. So, lots still to see.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
wunshot
Subscriber

It was a trip to see that there was no ending credits scene. Really hammered home that it was the end of the arc.

P.S. I specifically didn't put "Spoiler" so that you lucky fuckers don't sit there like a lemming for 10 minutes after the movie waiting for something that never happens.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

I'm seeing it Monday. I really hate what the MCU has done to Hulk, and I was told to expect to not like what they do with him here as well. Whatever, we'll see how it goes.

Yes May has John Wick 3, Brightburn, and Godzilla, all three weeks in a row I believe. Then the beginning of June has Xmen, which I am looking forward to. Although Apocalypse wasn't good, the prior 2 were great. And they are like palette cleansers for MCU stuff. After Endgame I am not making it a priority to see MCU films in theater anymore. Not even the upcoming Spider-man, although I am sure I'll end up having to see it if my wife wants to. But the Eternals and whatever else, I'm over the light-hearted, fun for the whole family stuff. I prefer the darker, riskier stuff like the X-Men or DC films usually are.

Looking forward to The Joker later this year!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
P.S. I specifically didn't put "Spoiler" so that you lucky fuckers don't sit there like a lemming for 10 minutes after the movie waiting for something that never happens.
I really hate people who just sit around for some kind of mid or end credits scene. I actually sit through the credits, even when watching films at home, to appreciate all the people who worked on the film. I am not specifically caring about any particular person or production specification, I just like to show that I appreciate all the work that went into it by sitting through all the credits.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
LilAbner
Evil Dead

I liked it, but I didn't love it. There were some truly great scenes in it, but I agree it was inferior to IW in almost every way.

I can't help but wonder if they hype for this movie plays into my disappointment.

Romans 6:23
LilAbner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
seether
Peon

Naaa.... did enjoyed the movie pretty much! Yea, perhaps no character big development, but this was the third act! Its 3-hr conclusion, that felt like 1.5. I wont say that is better or worse than infinity wars, because its just part two. Lots of love for the fans and followers, amazing sequences. Will definitly miss going to these films for a while after spiderman.
seether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

/SPOILERS

It was great how we had feminists in our movie and the arguably most manly character lose his balls and change in to a emotional basket case.

we even got to see him regret his break up with his ex girlfriend and need his mother before he could take action.

hulk... yeah, not only was it a bad choice, seeing his previous and superhero self was a bad move, we see his raw power and anger, the REASON people like hulk...then they make it a joke by showing ruffelo /hulk smash things like it's wrong to do so.

Thank god the torch is passed and we have a female ironman and black captain America.

And if it wasn't for that group of females near the end for that final push, tony would have never been able to snap his fingers....

I think the SJWS converted me, time to blame white toxic men for everything.

I kept thinking this movie wasn't made for the fans, it was made for the people who wanted it changed to spite the fans.

It used to take wars and sacrifice to create change.

now people change their world to bend the knee to nobodies with a keyboard on the internet in hopes they wont' hurt their bottom line.

Secret counter move.

do what you want regardless of what gender majors say on the internet, and you'll make the same or MORE money.

All that being said, I could have just watched the last fight, I'd still have been annoyed, but at least captain marvel didn't save the day.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Um, you might wanna put SPOILERS on your post. I had no idea about the time travel thing and can't see it til Tuesday.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

The end battle had that neat bit, but it didn't save the movie.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
MechaDangerous
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
It was a trip to see that there was no ending credits scene. Really hammered home that it was the end of the arc.

There isn't an end credits scene, but there is a particular sound at the very end that's supposedly put there as an homage to the beginning of the current phase of the MCU. I won't say what it is here.

As for the film, I enjoyed it. It felt long in some parts, but I enjoyed the ride. It was very nice to see an end to this phase of the MCU. It was very much an emotional rollercoaster. Some of my notes:

* The "how" that they accomplished all of this seemed too far fetched even for a Marvel film to me. Oh well, I went with it.
* The all female shot towards the end seemed 100% unnecessary to me.
* I very much like Captain Marvel, and Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. I think she does that character so well.
* No mid or end credits scene was actually nice. It helped close everything out. The sound at the end (that I mentioned above) was a nice touch though if it's what I thought it was (and what is suspected by other media outlets).
MechaDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Um, you might wanna put SPOILERS on your post. I had no idea about the time travel thing and can't see it til Tuesday.
Sorry, I thought the time-travel thing was pretty common knowledge at this point. They were talking about the actors wearing their first-movie costumes almost a year ago.

And all the toys are marked "Quantum Realm Suits", so it wasn't hard to piece together.

What I didn't like was Doctor Strange giving up the Time Stone seemed to have nothing. He could have let Tony die, kept the stone and avoided the whole "Snap". They just pretty much dropped that entire plot point. If you have something called a "time stone" in your movie, you should probably be using it to time travel instead of the Quantum Realm.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Oh, I do have to add that the "Let the Women Take Over" scene was just terrible and I don't know about where you saw it, but there was a visible and audible negative reaction from the audience when they did that.

People were groaning and I think at least one person even "Boo'd". You can't force that into a film, it just comes off as ham-handed.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

[QUOTE=seether;2536421Will definitly miss going to these films for a while after spiderman.[/QUOTE]

Just because they haven't made any big announcements for Phase 4 doesn't mean that Phase 4 will be delayed.

We have Spider-Man in just a few months, plus WandaVision, Loki and The Falcon & Winter Soldier on Disney+.

I imagine that whatever the next big tentpole summer movie is, it's already in development.

I guess that would be (As)Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and something else for next summer. I think that is the Black Widow movie, since other than GotG3, it's the only one that has been announcing casting.

Never fear, the heroes will be back next summer on the big screen and all year on the small screen.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I would take just about everything you wrote off the main page and put it in the first post. I also have been very careful to stay well away from just about everything Endgame related and you basically spoiled the entire thing right there regardless of how well spread you feel the back to the future 2 plotline might have been telegraphed.

I have my tickets for next weekend though I admit I'm worried about a 3 hour running time surrounded by a bunch of people screaming and yelling every 5 minutes. I can't wait to see it and just like this closes the big arc of these characters I am looking forward to it closing my engagement with the MCU in any really meaningful way.

I'm apparently just a relic who wants a good story with actors, directors, writers, and so on to do their job creatively without hamfisted messages and social conciousness in my cookie cutter entertainment. So I'm going to let Disney with Marvel, Star Wars, the actors, writers, and directors have their own thing. That's cool, even the mini-skirt went out of style for a while.

I may see Spiderman in the theater, because I hold out hope it will be just a fun romp. I probably will see John Wick because it doesn't look like it will pretend to be anything other than what it is, lots of shooting, stabbing, fighting, and killing. I worry about Godzilla and sure as hell worry about the X-Men.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:06 AM   #20
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. I thought it was excellent, and better than IW. Sure, that was a very good film, but the action went by so fast, it creeped into Transformers territory. Like "check out this CGI budget" stuff.

This had much less action, and more in-depth looks into these characters. It felt like a reward for seeing all the films. I thought the acting was very good, especially for a superhero film. And I thought the ending was satisfying.

Then again, my favorite X Men film is Logan, so my tastes might be different than many others.

Sure, the girl power scene was really forced, and many of the IW heroes get very little screen time. IW did a spectacular job making sure your favorite character had some quality scenes, no matter who that was. EG didn't. But it was focused on telling the story, and I thought that was fine.

I think this thread had too many spoilers for my tastes. But if you haven't seen it, don't feel like you already know what happens. There are things in there you weren't expecting, and the journey is worthwhile. Nothing here has really ruined the film. Go see it.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote