Yesterday 09:58 PM
27 Replies, 2,006 Views

Old 10-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Fallout 76 Isn't Coming To Steam

Via GameSpot
Quote:
One of 2018's biggest games, Fallout 76, won't be available on the world's largest PC platform, Steam. Instead, Bethesda is releasing the game on PC exclusively through its own Bethesda.net launcher. The move makes business sense, as Bethesda won't have to pay Steam operator Valve its cut of sales, but the announcement shocked some fans as previous Fallout games like Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 launched on Steam.

So why won't Fallout 76 be available on Steam? Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines told GameSpot that the company wants to have a "direct relationship" with Fallout 76 players due to the game's always-online, multiplayer focus.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Bethesda: We want all of your money. We could actually care less how much more of an inconvenience it is to the user.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Yeah, fuck this. I was still holding out a slim chance of buying this, but I already have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, UPlay and the Epic Games Launcher installed.

The LAST thing I want is another!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

Personally I don't give a shit. If the game is good I'll play it. Don't care about installing another launcher, it's not a deal breaker for me.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
Azrael
Evil Dead

Yeah this is a little crazy, to many platforms to play games on. This has gone from a must buy to a sitting on the fence game.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Meusli
Subscriber

They are only doing this because Valve made them roll back their idiotic choices on charging for mods. Expect more fuckwittery as the saga continues, they are going in without lube this time.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Yeah this is a little crazy, to many platforms to play games on. This has gone from a must buy to a sitting on the fence game.
THIS is the new platform war!

Sure, Microsoft and Sony still don't like each other much... But with Sony dominating this console generation, Microsoft (inadvertently or on purpose) pushing the PC instead of the Xbox, and Nintendo playing in their own little world, the real battle is fought for the 100+ million PC gamers and billion (?) Android users. One can only hope that it will stay software-only, and we won't be getting GOG-blocking (heh:-) Steam dongles anytime soon, now that their Linux initiative has failed...
Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
They are only doing this because Valve made them roll back their idiotic choices on charging for mods. Expect more fuckwittery as the saga continues, they are going in without lube this time.
^^
This. Charging for Mods, and charging dearly. Horse armor++.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
THIS is the new platform war!

Sure, Microsoft and Sony still don't like each other much... But with Sony dominating this console generation, Microsoft (inadvertently or on purpose) pushing the PC instead of the Xbox, and Nintendo playing in their own little world, the real battle is fought for the 100+ million PC gamers and billion (?) Android users. One can only hope that it will stay software-only, and we won't be getting GOG-blocking (heh:-) Steam dongles anytime soon, now that their Linux initiative has failed...
Microsoft forced Sony's hand though in opening up cross-platform play which was a HUGE win for Phil Spencer and Xbox.

It may be a bittersweet win though in the event Microsoft "wins" next time around. They will have set the precedent everyone has to play nice.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
thatlukeguy
Soul Reaper

Yeah, yeah ok fine, but at the same time if I ever wanted to play SWTOR, or DDO, or GW2, or any number of games like this, I had to start a game launcher that would patch the game, ask for login/password etc. It's not really that big a deal to me to be honest, and I'm a big fan of Steam overall.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

*sad trombone*
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Heck, I remember a time when each Blizzard game had its OWN launcher lol. I don't see this as more than Beth trying to cash in on the "survival-craft-notzombies" craze anyway.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Yeah, fuck this. I was still holding out a slim chance of buying this, but I already have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, UPlay and the Epic Games Launcher installed.

The LAST thing I want is another!
And with the exception of steam and and to a lesser extent battle.net, all of those launchers are bloody terrible. Oh and steam and battle.net used to be just as terrible...Anybody want to guess what bethesda's new fucking launcher that nobody asked for or wanted is going to be?
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Wasn't buying it anyway, but at least this means we won't be seeing endless Steam sales of it like Skyrim had.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #15
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

It became too much of a hassle to repeatedly mod out Fallout 4's main menu advertisements after every fucking patch so I permanently uninstalled. Bethesda and future Fallout (in name only) games are off my radar for now. And they should be for any PC gamer who has any respect for themselves.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
It became too much of a hassle to repeatedly mod out Fallout 4's main menu advertisements after every fucking patch so I permanently uninstalled. Bethesda and future Fallout (in name only) games are off my radar for now. And they should be for any PC gamer who has any respect for themselves.
Quoted for truth.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Fallout is definitely off my radar and has been for a good long while. Steam or not, I don't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The only way I bought most of the Fallout games since Fallout 2 was on Steam sales when they got down to under $10 for the whole deal. I doubt we'll see that on this new Bethesda store.

On the brightside (for Bethesda) they won't have to give Gabe his 30% vig for being on Steam. We'll see if it's worth all the sales they are going to lose for not being there.

I suspect a lot of the reason Ubi and some others are still on Steam is because the opportunity cost/cost of acquisition per player on people to find their games on the Ubi Play launcher is so high it is cheaper to let them entangle their account via Steam and lose the 30% income.

The only reason Epic and EA have succeeded is because their games and/or IPs are so immense people put up with the separate launcher. But Fortnite was touch and go there for a while. Without Battle Royale who knows where the Epic launcher might be... it could have been on Steam before long.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

Without Fornight Battle Royal the Epic launcher would have been killed. Paragon was dying and UT is pretty much going nowhere. They would have been forced to go back to a standard storefront.

Now, Fornight is so damned big, that they had the absolute balls, and got away with it, to release their game on Android outside of the Play Store.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

I'm not buying this because it looks fucking terrible, but even if it didn't, now I wouldn't.

Seriously, I loaded up FO4 just now to see if I really wanted something based on that gunplay, and the worst forced mouse smoothing in gaming greeted me. Who the fuck thought we wanted action fallout? Tell stories or fuck off.

Tags
bethesda game studios, fallout 76