Star Wars Battlefront 2...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 01:04 AM
59 Replies, 2,781 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #1301
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Great pickups! Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 for a buck a piece was a steal and probably the highlight of today's pick-ups. Super jealous of that GQ2. And totally agree on Gunstar Heroes, except I would rate it as my -second- favorite side-scrolling shooter on the Genny, right after Contra Hard Corps.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #1302
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Spent some time with the Retron 5 yesterday. Wanted to compare its emulation to the quality of a modded Wii. Both are hooked up to the same Sharp Aquous 60in TV in my living room. The R5 was connected via the included HDMI cable and the Wii is connected via component cables.

The System:

It’s not the best build quality, the weight of the unit is light and the plastic is flimsy. The power button is weird too. Why they made the conscious design decision to make it a push button that you have to hold down for 3-5 seconds is beyond me. I originally thought I had bad unit before I held the button down vs. simply pushing it.

Others reviewers seem to like the fact that the controller, especially the directional pad, feels like a NeoGeo Pocket Color thumbstick. But, to me it feels wrong/off. That's not to say that the controller is not responsive or unusable. I didn't notice any lag time at all.

If you have the original NES, SNES or Genesis controllers, that’s definitely the way to go. A bonus feature is the ability to use an SNES controller with a Genesis game (and so on), and yes you can remap the buttons.

Can't speak for the previous Retron systems, but in the R5 you can only have 1 game in the system at a time. The unit will auto detect which slot the game is loaded.

Tested Games:

I only played a few titles, Gunstar Heroes for the Genny, Super Punch Out for the SNES and Gargoyle’s Quest 2 for the NES.

First off, the pin connectors that the games slide into are SUPER tight. It felt wrong to be pushing the cart so hard that I felt I was going to break the unit. They will probably loosen up over time.

Since it’s running these games in emulation, it loads each game into the local memory (I think there’s 1 gig available).

A big advantage with the R5 is the save states. You can save any game at any time and replay from the last save. This will be particularly helpful on games like Gunstar Heroes or Mega Man where, when you die, you have to start that particular level from the beginning.

Adding a save right before a boss battle is like having a long lost friend you always wanted. It's one of the R5's shining features!

Game Quality:

This is really where the R5 shines. It upscales the games and does some impressive interpolation on the 480i graphics to make them buttery smooth at 720p. If you're familiar with the original game on your old tube tv, then you'll notice the "smoothing" feature right away.

Comparing the quality back & forth between the modded Wii and the R5 - the Wii looked old and a bit washed out where the R5 was crisp and brighter. Of course, modding a Wii is free if you already have one available.

The audio quality of the R5 was also better in the games that I tested compared to the Wii. Even with Genesis games which are notoriously bad to reproduce in EMU land.

Hyperkin has future plans to support this system since the unit can be updated via firmware. Hopefully with the success they're having they'll be able to afford some decent designers to help with the built-in GUI. It could use some style.

Since the system is upgradeable that means it's also hackable. I'm sure it’s just a matter of time before someone upgrades the card reader on the back to allow ROMs to be played via SD cards.

Wrap Up:

The Retron 5 is selling strong right now but the $150 - $200 price tag (retail is $139) is a bit too much. In reality, it should be $100 - $120 and at the price point it seems like a no brainer for any retro game collector.

It's unlikely that Hyperkin will come out with a rev 2 with a better build quality but if they did then this would be an instant classic like the systems it’s emulating. And that would help provide some reassurances with their next system, the RetroN x86.

But, seeing & playing the games you enjoyed decades ago on a 60in flat screen @ 720p is impressive and that might make it worth the extra money.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #1303
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Excellent review. You answered almost all of the questions I was going to ask.

It's a real shame that it has a cheap-feeling build quality. That's one of my major complaints with many electronics; the flimsy, light plastic. There's just something about a piece of kit having some heft to it that inspires confidence and suggests quality.

That being said, there are a number of other issues with the Retron 5 I've read that I could hardly believe. Apparently, you can only have one cartridge inserted at a time, and having multiple carts inserted at power on can damage the unit. Seriously??? That seems like a ludicrous design decision/oversight to me. Also, while I do love me some NGP clicky stick controls, I can't help but feel like they should have stuck with the more traditional + control pad design given the systems the R5 emulates.

I dunno... Seems like a decent enough way to play retrogames on a modern TV. But I still say the modded Wii is the better choice overall, even lacking HDMI. It's just a more flexible setup, and honestly--given that the games are emulated regardless, having to use the carts (and risk damaging them in the overly tight slots) is superfluous and unnecessary.

If I run across one for $70 or less I'll grab it, no doubt. But I'm not in any kind of hurry to have one set up and running in my movie room.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #1304
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Agreed, if you're good with a modded Wii then that's the better option right now MINUS using the original controllers.

BUT, when you're ready to project retro games at 720p in your movie room, that investment might make it worth it!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #1305
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Over 660 local garage sales that were listed on CL for today and even more that were not listed. With that, I think I hit a record with the amount of times I heard the old “you just missed out, sold them all about 10 minutes ago” or “we sold them all yesterday”.

Grabbed most of these PS2 games today.

Grabbed the Okage, Silpheed, Metal Arms, Kingdom Hearts and the FF games from the same sale mentioned below. To me, Metal Arms is hidden gem.

The NES games and Mischief Makers are also from the same sale mentioned below.

Hit a sale 2 weeks ago on a Friday, the woman was selling NES, SNES, N64 & PS2 games and systems. She said her son collected them since he was little and that he was married now and had moved out of the house a few years ago. It was hard not to grab everything but she wasn't selling them super super cheap so I picked through a bunch of games and left some for other buyers. Paid $50 for the whole lot.

Also grabbed that minty CIB Ghouls'N Ghosts for a buck today.

Also not shown are the 24 loose Xbox games that were .25 cents each - they're not worth showing
Old 07-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #1306
Zelos
Evil Dead

My one and only import game even through my SNES and gamecube can play import games.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #1307
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Fucking Nintendo is so outdated. Wish they would let us play whatever we want already.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #1308
blackzc
Evil Dead

Word is management is plotting to oust Iawta, I like him but it might be time for some new ideas, they are playing so conservative they risk losing their relevancy. They are master of hold em and fold em though.

Right, collections. My girlfriend was driving down a street the other day on her way home from work early morning and saw two boxes sitting on the curb. She past them up but then decided to turn around and check them out. (we love garbage picking) In the two boxes were vol 1- 162 of Nintendo Power in order and in great shape. There are also a few guides. This is cool because i actually like old magazines just as much as old games, i have a huge stock of old EGM's. She was super happy to find them for me as was i.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #1309
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Dude, that was a wicked-sweet roadkill find right there. Time to marry that girl while you still can, as she's obviously a gem of a gal.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #1310
blackzc
Evil Dead

Your right, it really is time.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #1311
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I collect Vinyl, and I might share more of my collection later, but I got super lucky today and scored the following for free today.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #1312
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Nice grabs! I'm sure MJ will be jelly.

I miss the old SYC thread. But I slowly migrated to Facebook collector groups, since it's so much easier to not have to upload pics to imgur before linking them here. Getting lazy in my old age.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #1313
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Nice grabs! I'm sure MJ will be jelly.

I miss the old SYC thread. But I slowly migrated to Facebook collector groups, since it's so much easier to not have to upload pics to imgur before linking them here. Getting lazy in my old age.
I hear ya about the pic uploads. I do love this thread though. I hadn't seen anything new here for a while, and I was so stoked about the album find (my friends could care less) and I knew some folks here would dig it.

Haven't seen much of you on the site as of late. I miss the sanity you bring
Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #1314
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Lol... More like senile docility as I get older.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #1315
wml
Squire

My playstation yaroze european version had it from new direct from sony
still got all the disks, library reference books etc

Last edited by wml; 10-31-2017 at 07:11 PM..
wml is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #1316
Planet_Redrum
Squire

Anyone remember the old comic strip The Phantom?

When I was a kid I loved that, and I collected something like 600 comic books with that character. I still have them somewhere at my partents place I think. I should go there and find them....
Old 05-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #1317
Chadssona
Peon

Wow, so much interesting rare things, very interesting here. super
Chadssona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #1318
xkawsx
Peon

aha, nostalgy..... reminds me time, when I played my 3DO

xkawsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #1319
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I picked up this 3D Batman artwork for my office at work! Got it from the artist on eBay.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #1320
wolfmeister
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
Over 660 local garage sales that were listed on CL for today and even more that were not listed. With that, I think I hit a record with the amount of times I heard the old “you just missed out, sold them all about 10 minutes ago” or “we sold them all yesterday”.

Grabbed most of these PS2 games today.

Grabbed the Okage, Silpheed, Metal Arms, Kingdom Hearts and the FF games from the same sale mentioned below. To me, Metal Arms is hidden gem.

The NES games and Mischief Makers are also from the same sale mentioned below.

Hit a sale 2 weeks ago on a Friday, the woman was selling NES, SNES, N64 & PS2 games and systems. She said her son collected them since he was little and that he was married now and had moved out of the house a few years ago. It was hard not to grab everything but she wasn't selling them super super cheap so I picked through a bunch of games and left some for other buyers. Paid $50 for the whole lot.

Also grabbed that minty CIB Ghouls'N Ghosts for a buck today.

Also not shown are the 24 loose Xbox games that were .25 cents each - they're not worth showing
I really loved Sega Superstars Tennis, so many amazing memories
wolfmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awsomesauce, collection, gzsfrk man cave toys, ldub's stash, sharing is caring, the precious, vault