9 Replies, 611 Views

Old 11-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs hits Netflix

The Netflix produced Coen brothers western anthology has hit Netflix:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
And the money is well-spent - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is one of those special stories that just wouldn’t be aired elsewhere. Or rather, it’s a series of short stories set in the Old West, and each is a self-contained masterpiece. For some reason, the stories aren’t separated into individual episodes, but air in a feature film format, separated by flicking pages of a book. The sheer variety of stories on offer is wonderful; some are hilarious, others deeply tragic. Some are downright surreal, and feel like the Coen Brothers experimenting with their newfound creative freedom.
I don't always like the Coen brothers movies but I really enjoyed this one. It ran the gamut of emotions with the first story definitely being the most whacky of the bunch. If you don't like that one, you might enjoy the rest as they hit a much more serious tone. But I found each very enjoyable in their own way.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I loved this movie! I’ve already seen it twice now. You catch stuff on the second viewing you didn’t see the first time.

I thought the first one was hilarious and I did like the music.

One thing I enjoyed was that there is several references to True Grit in the movie.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Will watch this later today. I recently saw Outlaw King on Netflix and enjoyed it. A little surprised to see such a low critic rating. I think their movies are finally getting watchable. It's nice to be on my first vacation in a year and a half to catch up on stuff. Sat through Ant Man and the Wasp and thought it was the most boring "safe" movie I've ever seen in my life. Have Solo on deck but I thing I'll need a lot of alcohol to get through that mess.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Will watch this later today. I recently saw Outlaw King on Netflix and enjoyed it. A little surprised to see such a low critic rating. I think their movies are finally getting watchable. It's nice to be on my first vacation in a year and a half to catch up on stuff. Sat through Ant Man and the Wasp and thought it was the most boring "safe" movie I've ever seen in my life. Have Solo on deck but I thing I'll need a lot of alcohol to get through that mess.
Yeah Ant Man and the Wasp might be my least favorite Marvel movie so far. I didn't hate it but I wouldn't say I necessarily liked it either. My family and I enjoyed Solo actually though that might have been due to the rock bottom expectations. I came away enjoying it more than the other new Star Wars movies.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I went to see Fantastic Beasts over the weekend. It was good, but way too dark for the second movie in a 5-movie series. It had none of the fun and charm of the previous movie and was way off base in tone. it was more like the depressing last Harry Potter movie and not like what should have been the second movie in a series. It had lots of nods to Harry Potter and lots of Potter characters, but it was just too dark and serious.

Even the Jacob character, who you loved in the first movie, was totally out of place in a more dark and serious movie. He had no place in the story really because he is the fat sidekick in Abbott and Costello and not just a depressed bystander.

I think I’ll finish watching Nick Cage in Mandy today, it is just kinda weird, but I want to see how it ends.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think I’ll pull out my copy of True Grit too, always a fantastic movie. There are times when the western genre seems to be making a comeback, then it will have a big budget flop (Magnificent 7) and kinda lay low for a while.

The Deadwood movie is finally in development and there are rumors that James Franco is working on a Billy the Kid movie. He was certainly great in Buster Scruggs. “First time?”

I’ve got a western novel in development around here that I should finish up next year.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I really enjoyed the first two shorts...but then it really lost me... does it pick up at the end? Cuz I was pretty bored.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I really enjoyed the first two shorts...but then it really lost me... does it pick up at the end? Cuz I was pretty bored.
The tone jumps around a bit. If you didn't enjoy it when you stopped then I imagine you might not enjoy the rest. The 4th chapter was more upbeat but the last two were on the darker side.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
The tone jumps around a bit. If you didn't enjoy it when you stopped then I imagine you might not enjoy the rest. The 4th chapter was more upbeat but the last two were on the darker side.
Yea, I think it tends to start out super light and then gravitate toward darker and darker and the last one was really just morose and depressing. If you don’t want “dark” you probably don’t need to finish the movie, but they are good when you are in the mood for something more serious.

I hope that they decide that they can do more. In the planning stages, these six episodes were going to be the beginning of an ongoing western anthology series like Black Mirror, but I think Netflix kinda got spooked by the cost (and that Godless didn’t really take off) and cut it back. But, it came out so well that I think they will consider making more.

They should do what SyFy does with Channel Zero, and just make shorter 6-episode seasons so there isn’t the huge budget demands of a 12+ hour series.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I hope that they decide that they can do more. In the planning stages, these six episodes were going to be the beginning of an ongoing western anthology series like Black Mirror, but I think Netflix kinda got spooked by the cost (and that Godless didn’t really take off) and cut it back.
I think the idea of an ongoing series was misreported.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
This.

I felt the same way. 1st short was silly and fun. Could have done without the singing . 2nd was dark but fun and was my favorite. Halfway through the 3rd I was bored.
I watched the rest while on my phone surfing web. I didn't really care for the rest.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Just watched it and 75% was dull as hell. The first short and the short with Tom Waits digging for gold are great. In fact, the Tom Waits one should be a whole movie. Simple and beautifully shot. The final short was like a scene from a play and left me feeling totally unsatisfied. I don't know what they were thinking ending it like that.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Just watched it and 75% was dull as hell. The first short and the short with Tom Waits digging for gold are great. In fact, the Tom Waits one should be a whole movie. Simple and beautifully shot. The final short was like a scene from a play and left me feeling totally unsatisfied. I don't know what they were thinking ending it like that.
That one did feel like a setup for something else.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

The wife and I watched this last night. I really enjoyed it.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Buster Scruggs and the Gold Digger were great vignettes. The rest were varying degrees of crap. The Liam Neeson one had me annoyed (repetitive scenes). And WTF with the "Johnny Got His Gu...splash" anyways?

Saw PokePotter with my youngest son over the weekend. OMG it was so boring. It had decent acting and solid effects, but it was just so damn DULL. Lifeless, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied

Last edited by Terran; 11-20-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Arionuq
Knight

It was very...well.. Coen Bros. I loved all of it personally but there is no doubt their movies are very unusual and they play with themes and and expectations a lot. I especially like the way they played around with colors and settings.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #17
Azzy
Cthulian

It starts strong but ends soft, totally worth watching though.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I keep wanting to see more. I hope this is the beginnnig of some kind of a series from the Coen Brothers.

How many True Grit references did you catch? I know of two for sure, there are probably more.

This movie made me realize how starved we are for good westerns. What was the last one? Hostiles with Christian Bale? That’s a great flick, but just too serious and long to be something you can watch multiple times.

I mostly end up going back to True Grit or Tombstone when I want to catch a western, though I’ve been watching the Magnificent 7 remake now and then.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #19
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The Salvation with Mads Mikkelsen was a cool recent one nobody saw.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The Salvation with Mads Mikkelsen was a cool recent one nobody saw.
I own that one on Blu-ray.

My western collection is far from complete, but it’s pretty impressive. I’ve also got Bone Tomahawk, Jane got a Gun, The Timber (not recommended, but they did a lot with zero budget... interesting... it’s on Netflix if you are in the mood), the Duel, Diablo, Forsaken and a few other little-known modern westerns.

Diablo stars Scott Eastwood and Walton Goggins. It’s worth a watch one-time, just to see Scott Eastwood do a totally on-the-spot parody of Clint Eastwood’s spaghetti western character.

Forsaken stars Keifer Sutherland and Donald Sutherland. It also stars the actor who played “Old Bill” in the new Westworld. Fun to watch to see those two actors together, but it’s not much of a movie.

Jane got a Gun wasn’t bad. A little heavy on the feminism “rah rah girl power”, but it has a few good shoot outs. That stars Natalie Portman and it should also be on Netflix. It was for a while.

If you haven’t seen Bone Tomahawk, well then you are totally missing out. Kurt Russell!