Today 07:37 AM
16 Replies, 838 Views

Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

RetroArch Emulator Coming To Xbox One In 2019

Via BGR
Quote:
If you’ve ever played emulated video games on your computer, there’s a decent chance you’ve heard of RetroArch. One of the best and most popular emulator frontends ever made, RetroArch uses “cores” to emulate games from a wide variety of classic consoles, including the NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PS1.

In addition to releasing the frontend on PC, developer Libretro has also made RetroArch available on macOS, Linux, Android, 3DS, and even the Switch. But last Friday, the team made an announcement that is even more exciting than it first appears: RetroArch is coming to Xbox One in “early 2019.” That alone should pique your interest, but the best part of the announcement is that RetroArch on Xbox One won’t require a jailbreak.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Pretty cool but the cynic in me thinks there's no way this won't be beaten down by people with money and lawyers.

EDIT: I know these emulators are available now but the minute it becomes really easy to run this stuff on your TV with a good controller is when the powers that be start to take notice.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

Hey, the boner finally got some games!
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Although Microsoft officially bans any emulator from popping up on its app and game store, it is, somewhat ironically, less restrictive about other means to install such software. Specifically, Developer Mode, which is an official mode, can be used to install such software, which the libretro team just confirmed. None of the major consoles have something similar, making the Xbox One a one-stop emulation machine. Unofficially, of course.

It’s not all perfect though. While Developer Mode won’t require you to jailbreak your console, you do have to pay at least $19 for a Microsoft Dev Center account. You will also have to factory reset your console if you ever want to get out of Developer Mode. And while it’s definitely an exciting development, libretro still recommends PCs with beefier CPUs and GPUs for the best emulation experience.
https://www.slashgear.com/retroarch-...atch-30559564/

Plus, I'm pretty sure if someone starts emulating original Xbox games Microsoft will quietly block it from running
Old 01-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Pretty cool but the cynic in me thinks there's no way this won't be beaten down by people with money and lawyers.

EDIT: I know these emulators are available now but the minute it becomes really easy to run this stuff on your TV with a good controller is when the powers that be start to take notice.
I've been doing it flawlessly with a $2 Steam Link hardwired directly to my tv through a router switcher box. RetroArch works great but is really designed for people new to emulators. The way it downloads emulator "cores", scans and organizes roms, and configures controls is a little too overdesigned to the point of being clunky and slow. I prefer to use dedicated emulators organized in a custom "Emulator" section inside Steam by adding non-Steam games to the library. The only trick was figuring out I needed to plug the controllers into my PC first to configure, unplug them, then plug into the Steam Link and they work perfectly. MAME, Dolphin, SNES9x, Kega Fusion, whatever. I have 10 dedicated emulators on Steam now with tens of thousands of games. I'm really happy with the outcome.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I've been using a Pi, and a 8bitdo controller. Works great!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

GODDAMN IT! WHERE ARE THE XBOX EXCLUSIVES??!! ALL WE GET ARE RE-RELEASES!

Oh, an emulator. My bad. How are people supposed to get their roms? Technically you can't sideload to a non-jailbroken Xbox and a regular USB stick shouldn't work since it's an attack vector. The Xbox team would never let you just load any ol' file into the system.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Once again, console kids are able to do all the fun stuff the PC was able to do decades ago. Lucky bastards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Oh joy now you too can play 20-30 year old archaic games on Xbox One! ffs. The majority of which likely haven't aged well. People and their rose colored nostalgia I guess.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Oh joy now you too can play 20-30 year old archaic games on Xbox One! ffs. The majority of which likely haven't aged well. People and their rose colored nostalgia I guess.
Sorry mein furhur mein grossen that once again something that brings other's joy is incomprehensible to you.

But than I forgot your general ideology and modus operandi when it comes to comments on this board can be likened to a rare hybrid combination of vagina fungus and ebola.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post

But than I forgot your general ideology and modus operandi when it comes to comments on this board can be likened to a rare hybrid combination of vagina fungus and ebola.
Those hybrids aren't as rare as you'd think....

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Those hybrids aren't as rare as you'd think....
Yeast infections are quite common, and monthly ebola-like-symptoms is sort of par for the course with that organ, so...you are correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emulation, microsoft, retro, retroarch, xbox