30 Replies, 1,073 Views
Anthem Legion of Dawn...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Yesterday 07:11 PM
10 Replies, 650 Views

Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Destructoid Calls For Female Soldiers in Historical Games Like Call of Duty: WWII

Destructoid:

Quote:
Female playable characters in Call of Duty games have become the norm. As more women enter into combat roles in the armed services, it only makes sense that games taking place in the near and distant future would include them. It's how things are and how they should be, but what about games set in the past? Should developers take a less historically accurate approach to games set in the early 1900s for the sake of including women in roles they traditionally wouldn't fill?

Of course they should, who the fuck cares it's a video game. That was my exact response when I saw Michael Condrey of Sledgehammer Games confirming female characters will be playable in the Call of Duty: WWII's multiplayer mode, and I'm somebody who paid attention in history class and knows of the contribution women made to the war effort in countries other than the United States.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

There should be more emphasis on the most important detail of this "article": Female characters are only available in multiplayer. The campaign mode is a classic WWII Pickle Party, but they ladies get to run around in multiplayer mode.

Destructoid isn't really "calling for it"; it's already happening.

At the end of the day, I just don't have the energy to really give a shit about this one way or the other.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Women need to learn history isn't going to bend to their projection of what they think should have happened.

If the devs want a historically accurate game, they won't add women, simple as that.

Multiplayer isn't historically accurate if you wanted to argue that point, but even the multiplayer tends to get the historical aspect in these types of games.

No one should tell them what they need to add unless they say they will hold them selves to a standard publically, like historical details.

Otherwise go ahead have a field day, make a transgender hero that somehow saves the day for all I care.

just don't expect me to buy it.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Call of Bunny Hopping Crack Addled Twitch Duty needs something more than female characters to sell itself to me any more, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
firecut
Evil Dead

Tea bagging in multiplayer games will be on the rise I suspect.
firecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Kooch
Evil Dead

who the fuck cares it's a videogame, says the person clamoring for the thing you're not supposed to care about.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
who the fuck cares it's a videogame, says the person clamoring for the thing you're not supposed to care about.
It's a willingness to say phuk the medium per the agenda of PC.

It's happening everywhere. Not surprised.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
Women need to learn history isn't going to bend to their projection of what they think should have happened.

If the devs want a historically accurate game, they won't add women, simple as that.

Multiplayer isn't historically accurate if you wanted to argue that point, but even the multiplayer tends to get the historical aspect in these types of games.

No one should tell them what they need to add unless they say they will hold them selves to a standard publically, like historical details.

Otherwise go ahead have a field day, make a transgender hero that somehow saves the day for all I care.

just don't expect me to buy it.
It's just the multiplayer mode. Is it really that big of a deal?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's just the multiplayer mode. Is it really that big of a deal?
I'm actually surprised the SJW's want this even if it is just in the multiplayer mode. If this becomes the standard, we would then be normalizing violence against women for millions of young impressionable men.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
BananaCommando
Dread Lord

On one hand, while I'm not as rabid as many people here, the SJW is getting under my skin. I'm tired of not being able to call a spade a spade (IE, in this case no women not fighting on the front lines in WWII).

On the other hand, this is a video game, it's interactive entertainment. It's an action game, not a historical documentary. If a female gamer wants to play a shooter, and would prefer her character model in-game to be female, I'm cool with that and I don't see any reason to argue against it. The fact that this would only happen in multiplayer in this case seems to be a pretty reasonable compromise.

In that specific sense, it makes sense for companies to offer this, as it would probably broaden the appeal of the product. The market decides.
BananaCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #11
Kooch
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCommando View Post
On one hand, while I'm not as rabid as many people here, the SJW is getting under my skin. I'm tired of not being able to call a spade a spade (IE, in this case no women not fighting on the front lines in WWII).

On the other hand, this is a video game, it's interactive entertainment. It's an action game, not a historical documentary. If a female gamer wants to play a shooter, and would prefer her character model in-game to be female, I'm cool with that and I don't see any reason to argue against it. The fact that this would only happen in multiplayer in this case seems to be a pretty reasonable compromise.

In that specific sense, it makes sense for companies to offer this, as it would probably broaden the appeal of the product. The market decides.
As long as the female models dont have pants im all for it.
Kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
mojo_x
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
I'm actually surprised the SJW's want this even if it is just in the multiplayer mode. If this becomes the standard, we would then be normalizing violence against women for millions of young impressionable men.
That's exactly the kind of spin that will be put on it following release. The SJW crowd are going to whine regardless of what the developers do .

I'm looking forward to having a good laugh at the inevitable "female harassment" & "virtual rape" outrage articles that will follow when the first female player gets t-bagged in MP.
mojo_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

I'm sure all 5 actual females who play cod were just clamoring for this. Third wave feminism is a disease.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The lesson here isn't what Sledghammer does or doesn't do in their game, it's that a once-great site like Destroid is now a complete SJW-shitfest. That's what you should take away from this article.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #15
davidj.dk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The lesson here isn't what Sledghammer does or doesn't do in their game, it's that a once-great site like Destroid is now a complete SJW-shitfest. That's what you should take away from this article.
Agreed

Now, let the damn developers make the game they want to make, and if you dont like it, dont buy it.. it's not exactly rocket science..
davidj.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #16
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

I feel like women should be offended by this thinking. It's basically saying they have no imagination and if they can't play a female character then they'll be so disconnected from the narrative or whatever that they might, what, faint?

I know the Maquis (and most resistance movements) had women fighting on the front lines but the US didn't. The British Infantry didn't. There's room to put them in in a way that fits. Crowbarring them in purely to meet the demands of a group of people who in all likelihood will not be buying the game is pointless and sets a bad precedent.

When you make a game set in Andromeda with a race of asexual alien creatures called Florbplorps, are they going to demand one human female because "muh rights"? Probably.

Respect peoples rights and all that shit, but also respect history, and fact.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Rommel
International Playboy

Hey guys, he paid attention in history class and knows the contribution women made! Now resume laughing at him, beat him if you see him in public and take his girl--she needs a real man with a real man cock in her life. Just whatever you do, don't engage in his insanity.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 AM   #18
subroc
Dread Lord

Quote:
That's where you're wrong. Destructoid was never great. They started out as a toilet-tier Kotaku wannabe and now they're even worse than that
subroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #19
defiant
Evil Dead

Quote:
That is pretty much the state of all mainstream video game sites, an utter cesspool of ideological driven pandering. I really don't give a shit about their political views and social justice leanings, all I want to know is what new games are coming out and which ones are worth my time and money. Other than that, please fuck off and take your insufferable preaching with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
I feel like women should be offended by this thinking. It's basically saying they have no imagination and if they can't play a female character then they'll be so disconnected from the narrative or whatever that they might, what, faint?
That is a pretty good counter point. I have never shied away from a game just because of the gender of the protagonist. All I care about is does the dev's choice make narrative sense so I can suspend disbelief and otherwise whether it is a good game. Are they suggesting to us that female psyches and egos are so fragile that they simply cannot tolerate having to play a character of the opposite gender if not given the choice?
defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Do SJW's even play COD? Unless the audience has suddenly changed my understanding is the vast majority of those playing are teenagers through 20 something males.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
call of duty: wwii