Last post by Metal Jesus
Today 10:14 AM
16 Replies, 921 Views

Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sony Launches PlayStation Productions to Adapt Games for Film and TV

Quote:
Sony Interactive Entertainment has launched PlayStation Productions, a production studio that will mine the company's extensive catalog of video game titles for film and television. The new enterprise, headed by Asad Qizilbash and overseen by chairman of Worldwide Studios at SIE, Shawn Layden, is already in production on its first slate of projects and has set up shop on the Sony Pictures lot in Culver City.

"Weve got 25 years of game development experience and thats created 25 years of great games, franchises and stories," Layden tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We feel that now is a good time to look at other media opportunities across streaming or film or television to give our worlds life in another spectrum."

With a library of more than 100 original properties ranging from adventure to sci-fi to action to mystery to horror, PlayStation Productions has a wide breadth of content ripe for adaptation. "Instead of licensing our IP out to studios, we felt the better approach was for us to develop and produce for ourselves," says Qizilbash. "One, because were more familiar, but also because we know what the PlayStation community loves."

While other video game studios, including Ubisoft and Activision Blizzard, have opened film and television arms to adapt their games for a different audience, PlayStation Productions differs both in its deep catalog of content and also in its approach to production. Sony Pictures, a sister company, will help with distribution, but production of projects will be handled by PlayStation Productions firsthand, not licensed out as is the case with similar enterprises at other game companies.

"For the last year and half, two years, weve spent time trying to understand the industry, talking to writers, directors, producers," says Qizilbash. "We talked to [film producer] Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Kevin Feige to really get an understanding of the industry."
Hollywood Reporter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

And there goes any chance that these films will be good. Sony has the absolute worst studios. Every once and a while they will have a legitimately good film, but most content that is produced by and for Sony have been absolutely dreadful. Sony really needs a third party to work on their shit. Just look how good Spider-Man: Homecoming turned out when they were hand fed universe and script by Marvel versus the entertaining but absolutely mediocre Venom they produced on their own.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
And there goes any chance that these films will be good. Sony has the absolute worst studios. Every once and a while they will have a legitimately good film, but most content that is produced by and for Sony have been absolutely dreadful. Sony really needs a third party to work on their shit. Just look how good Spider-Man: Homecoming turned out when they were hand fed universe and script by Marvel versus the entertaining but absolutely mediocre Venom they produced on their own.
I think it's more than that... didn't Sony license Spider-Man back to Marvel and let Marvel Studios make Homecoming? So, the only success they have had was when they were totally hands off. Heh.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Bout the same with their over hyped sjw fueled first party games as of late as well.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think it's more than that... didn't Sony license Spider-Man back to Marvel and let Marvel Studios make Homecoming? So, the only success they have had was when they were totally hands off. Heh.
Which goes back to my previous statement that as a film production company they are one the worst (Lionesgate would be the worst) when it comes to producing their own content. Their best successes have been films that that they co-produced, picked up after the fact for distribution, or were produced prior to 2005.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Bout the same with their over hyped sjw fueled first party games as of late as well.
Only Lesbian of Us Poo.

But I love Sony movies. I loved the last Ghostbusters, I loved Pixels, and pretty much all the others. Can't wait for God of Momoa.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Only Lesbian of Us Poo.

But I love Sony movies. I loved the last Ghostbusters, I loved Pixels, and pretty much all the others. Can't wait for God of Momoa.
LOL that's a pretty good title for it. Hey we live in an apocalyptic zombie filled world, let's focus the game on teen lesbians instead! Regardless the first game's ending was complete shit to begin with anyway.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #8
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Only Lesbian of Us Poo.

Really Pixels? I wasn't aware anyone liked that movie.. thats the adam sandler one?

But then maybe I just hate on it cuz they filmed it outside my office and my god I fucking hate hollywood.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I loved the last Ghostbusters, I loved Pixels, and pretty much all the others.
Haha..hehehe....

uh, what? wow. zers.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
I loved the last Ghostbusters...

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Most of Sonys movies are bad. I don't see how them making video game movies will change that.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation, sony