4 Replies, 1,012 Views
Thronebreaker: The...
Last post by Exodus
10-16-2018 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,651 Views

Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
Ozena
Evil Dead

Every gamer should be worried about their environmental footprint.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozena View Post

It's much more than that. A reduced power footprint means less heat to dissipate.

If you ask me, Nintendo knows EXACTLY what games want: A system that does not overheat and die.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
brandonjclark
Subscriber

*gamers

too short
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
Venkman
Evil Dead

I want to like the Wii U. But given past experience with the Wii, I'll wait a long time to see if there is anything worth my time.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Integrated CPU/GPU on one die is fine for a console. not like you are pulling the vid card to upgrade it. saves assembly, silicon, transit time....

on the other hand, seeing how much effort went into making the WiiU low power consumption, it does not give me a lot of hope that they know what gamers want.
Gamers want consoles that have MORE power consumption and not less. Because having less power consumption isn't next gen.

And your console isn't next gen unless it dies from overheating after three months.

Of course, if you ask the average gamer what the power consumption of their console is and any correlation to overall system capability, they should be able to tell you without skipping a beat.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
I still don't see the point of this system. Don't we already have a million mobile games out for tablets? The only thing going for it seem to be the controls which of course feel a lot better than on-screen tablet controls.
Wow you are clueless. The thing doesn't run crappy tablet games, and is not a tablet. By the way, tablet games suck. Think of it as a really large, really powerful DS instead, running full blown games, not mobile junk.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozena View Post
Are you the kind of fool who buys carbon credits, too? Like when you ship something UPS, do you select the "offset my carbon footprint" fee that the company uses to milk extra money from gullible brainwashed fools?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Are you the kind of fool who buys carbon credits, too? Like when you ship something UPS, do you select the "offset my carbon footprint" fee that the company uses to milk extra money from gullible brainwashed fools?

OMG, they HAVE that?!!!1111
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
OMG, they HAVE that?!!!1111
Unbelievable as it sounds, yes, they do. I just can't wait until the fee is mandatory and not optional. All it will take is another 4 years of this Obamanation.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
inscribed
Evil Dead

Buying this console DAY ONE. Sony better step their game up if they want any money from me. I won't be buying a 720 regardless of what they do.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Maybe a year 2 purchase for me. No must-have launch games, questionable hardware specs and direction. Let's see how innovative they can be with the tablet but I expect to see reports of "gathering dust" about 6 months in just like with the Wii.

I fear it's going to be another case of "Let the new shiny wear off, dust it off for the occasional Zelda or Mario game, then back in the closet."
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I expect to see reports of "gathering dust" about 6 months in just like with the Wii.
And why the hell would it do that? The Wii "gathered dust" for 5 simple reasons:

1) Still a low res, 480p non-HD console.
2) Not powerful enough to bother porting ANY PS3 or 360 games to it without significant degradation if at all.
3) No achievements or trophies.
4) No plausible online system.
5) No good, comfortable controller for big hands.

ALL of these things have been resolved for the Wii U. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. It's basically a super powered DS with full blown console games, and I don't hear anyone complaining about the DS gathering dust. You might as well say the Gamecube gathered dust in 6 months, which it did not. This is now a full blown and genuine console, not a "weird underpowered waggle thing for casuals".
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Wait and see for me as well. I'm interested in actually seeing the new gamepad in person and how developers take advantage of it and want to see the actual games coming out.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Not powerful enough to bother porting ANY PS3 or 360 games to it without significant degradation if at all.
A problem that may well repeat in light of the PS4 and NeXtBoX

Quote:
These have been fixed? Oh good!

The WiiU, even now, is still very secretive. I am not going to make predictions anywhere near as bold as last gen, when I said "Everyone will want to try, few will want to buy." That being said, for this group of gamers I find it inconceivable that people are not miffed about single chip CPU-GPU and entirely shared memory.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
A problem that may well repeat in light of the PS4 and NeXtBoX
Will. I just wish my DLC ports over...if it doesn't then fuck my hobby. RB3 freak right here.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #36
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

I think the only real reason for the persuit of redcuing the power consumption has
more to do with achieving passive cooling. This results in reduced manufacturing costs
and a potential failure mechanism hence more profit as you get less warranty claims.
Usually a main driver is to increase battery life but clearly not in this instance so that
only leave passive cooling IMO.

Nintendo and many big electronics companies rarely do anything thats not just related
to profits.. certainly the environment isn't considered, this only occurs when they are forced
to by legislation or they think its good PR which will sell more stuff.

Overall its going to come down to the games and there is nothing currently compelling.
As far as i'm concerned the Wii failed the core gamers, was a fun toy but it quickly
ende up back in its box forlornly awaiting some worthwhile games.. yes there was the odd
game but they were all too rare.

Not sure this will get much 3rd party support either, possibly though as in amongst all those
possible control options is essentially a compatable setup to the xbox and PS gamepads
do it may see more? but i doubt it.

will the casuals flock to this like they did with the Wii? they may just think .. ive already
got one (a Wii that is) and why do i need another? or possibly think its too complicated
with all those control options. Though they are often gullible may think they are getting a cheap iPad
substitute and buy one for that?.

Nintendo will simply iterate their current IPs.. yes they make solid games but i dont
think i could take another 2D platformer from them. A proper 3D Metroid would see a sale
my way though.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #37
Radiozo
Evil Dead

Well all the preorders are sold out so its selling pretty well Id say.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
And why the hell would it do that? The Wii "gathered dust" for 5 simple reasons:

2) Not powerful enough to bother porting ANY PS3 or 360 games to it without significant degradation if at all.

ALL of these things have been resolved for the Wii U. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. It's basically a super powered DS with full blown console games, and I don't hear anyone complaining about the DS gathering dust. You might as well say the Gamecube gathered dust in 6 months, which it did not. This is now a full blown and genuine console, not a "weird underpowered waggle thing for casuals".
My lord, great points from you, without mentioning GS!

It's unfortunate they couldn't deliver a bit more in the CPU department. And it's too expensive. Way too expensive. Instead of just dropping the price like they will inevitably do, they should just start with the reduced price to give it oomph out of the gate.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
This box isn't powerful enough to push full HD (neither are today's consoles really, and this is a "today" console)
Quote:
We MAY see ports of games from this gen of Xbox 360 and PS/3 hits made for the Wii U (ala Batman) but it's not likely we'll see next gen ports. Once again the box isn't powerful enough (probably, we don't know what next gen specs are but, again, the Wii U is a "today" box, not next gen).

So Will U folks are going to be happy playing 2 - 7 year old games with the occasional nifty console specific game? I don't think so.
Quote:
As long as it is sticky. The Playstation Trophy system never obtained the stickiness of LIVE achievements. As long as Nintendo makes these personalized and "valuable" they might do a little better.
Quote:
The Wii U hasn't won me over with their online. It's slightly more elegant than the Wii, but not that much better, and no match for PSN or LIVE now, much less what we can expect next gen.
Quote:
Matter of preference. Plus, people are going to get tired of holding a 2lbs tablet in their hand for multi-hour game sessions with those awesome Wii U specific games. It's equally as tiring as wiggling around a controller after a while.

No matter what you say, too many people were burned with the Wii and they're not going to be in a rush to get back in bed with Nintendo. Even if pre-orders are gone, that isn't uncommon for any gadget launch, I wouldn't read too much into that. The same way a lot of people are going to wait and see with the next Xbox. Burn me once, but burn me twice...
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiozo View Post
Good question I dont know but since Nintendo is just now catching up with the other 2 I wouldnt call it next gen when it comes to performance.
GCN> PS2
N64>PS1
SNES>Genesis
NES>Master System

Nintendo doesn't run better specs than the competition for a few years and they are just now catching up to the other 2?

The economy is going to have an effect on the rick sony and MS are going to take. Watch and see.

Tags
nintendo, wii u