Yesterday 08:53 PM
2,919 Replies, 394,712 Views

Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Super Mario Odyssey Was Amazon's Best-Selling Game In 2017

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Amazon has revealed its 100 best-selling video games of 2017. While the list encompasses all of the game-related products the online retailer sold throughout the past year, the actual list of best-selling games was dominated by Nintendo, which published seven of Amazon's top 10 titles by platform in 2017.

The best-selling game on Amazon for 2017 was Super Mario Odyssey, the first major Mario game for Switch and GameSpot's No. 3 pick for Game of the Year. It was followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the Switch version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, while Splatoon 2, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild rounded out the top 10.

The PS4-exclusive adventure Horizon: Zero Dawn was also one of Amazon's most popular titles of 2017, coming in at No. 4. Call of Duty: WWII, which Activision touted was the No. 1 game in North America by revenue, also took two spots on Amazon's top 10 list; the PS4 version was No. 5, with the Xbox One version following at No. 6. Some of Amazon's other top-selling titles include Destiny 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.
Hail to the king, baby! (The king is actually the $20 PlayStation Store Gift Card - I'm guilty of buying at least a half dozen of the $20 and $50 cards. I prefer digital for PS4 and PC, but if I had a Switch I would definitely go for the carts! Carts are just plain cool.)
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Good. It's a fun game, and I can honestly say that I never came across a single glitch/bug. Nintendo is on fire. I hope to see more 1st party titles from them soon. I'm also hoping that developers are seeing the success of the Switch, and start working on more titles for the console.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

I personally stopped playing when I made it to the food world. The base game was just not challenging enough and there are so many goddamned moons to collect, so I just straight up stopped playing half-way through. I loaned the game to my brother (bought him a Switch for Christmas) so I may play it again when he is done with it and the game can feel fresh again.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
blackzc
Evil Dead

I didn't love it, i did like it. Wondering around finding moons in nonsensical locations was argravating. I did beat it. I didn't get into Mario 64 either. Not enough direction. If you loved 64 you will prolly love this.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

It was a solid game but I think it's overrated. Out of the 3D Mario games, I prefer Galaxy 1 and 2.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
I personally stopped playing when I made it to the food world. The base game was just not challenging enough and there are so many goddamned moons to collect, so I just straight up stopped playing half-way through. I loaned the game to my brother (bought him a Switch for Christmas) so I may play it again when he is done with it and the game can feel fresh again.
I only played a little bit of it with my brother but the game was so easy that we were stumbling into challenges backwards, getting the moon before even encountered the setup.

Thatís just bad design.

I feel like the point of the game was focusing more on overwhelming the player with creativity more than solid level design. I have a little respect for that approach, but I felt like Mario was the last bastion for REAL video game gameplay instead of post modern riffing on the concept of video games.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I only played a little bit of it with my brother but the game was so easy that we were stumbling into challenges backwards, getting the moon before even encountered the setup.

Thatís just bad design.

I feel like the point of the game was focusing more on overwhelming the player with creativity more than solid level design. I have a little respect for that approach, but I felt like Mario was the last bastion for REAL video game gameplay instead of post modern riffing on the concept of video games.
I've heard that the game has become known for having an odd difficulty curve. Beating the game is very easy but collecting all of the moons can be pretty darn difficult. There's no real ramp up or in between. One of the problems I have is that I can't find a really good reason to collect all of the moons. Is there some reward for doing so? At least if the system had achievements I could see people doing it for the public bragging rights. Again, I enjoyed the game but I don't see a reason to 100% it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:

Thatís just bad design.
Which areas were you able to do that with?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I've heard that the game has become known for having an odd difficulty curve. Beating the game is very easy but collecting all of the moons can be pretty darn difficult. There's no real ramp up or in between. One of the problems I have is that I can't find a really good reason to collect all of the moons. Is there some reward for doing so? At least if the system had achievements I could see people doing it for the public bragging rights. Again, I enjoyed the game but I don't see a reason to 100% it.
I don't know about Odyssey specifically, but I do like Nintendo's approach to difficulty. Beating their games is often easy (most of them anyway), but 100% them is usually really difficult. Look at Smash, or even getting all of the stars in Mario 3D World. 100%ing Smash is pretty brutal. It means there's a base level of difficulty for newbies and kids, but adults can find a lot of challenge in them too. It's like they have 2 different layers of difficulty going on at once.

It helps that I'm a completionist though. I love difficult side challenges with rewards and unlocks for finally beating them.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:

Thatís just bad design.

That's sorta what happens when you make an open level platformer. There really isn't a set order for which Moon to get, followed by this specific Moon, etc.

The game is more like here is a starter Moon or two to get you going the rest are up to you in what order you want them. So you didn't necessarily stumble into challenges/Moons backwards. It's just the Moon/Challenge you came across and started.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It helps that I'm a completionist though. I love difficult side challenges with rewards and unlocks for finally beating them.
I am not a completionist. So you have only until the end credits to entice me to do everything that you have to offer. And there just wasn't anything in Odyssey that was convincing me that Moon farming was worth the effort. For the most part you would get enough Moons before the boss to be able to go to a new land, so it made all the additional Moons superfluous fluff. Similar to the Korok Seeds in Breath of the Wild. They were helpful to a point, then just became something that you thought about in the background.

I also did not like how, on many of the worlds, the last three Purple Coins are gated by progressing to other worlds then coming back at a much later date. If it was not for the fact that there was a tangible benefit (new outfits and Odyssey decorations) wouldn't bother with the Purple Coins either.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon associates, nintendo, ps4, super mario odyssey, xbox one